For U.S. and Canadian travelers, electrical converters are not necessary because Mexico operates on the 60-cycle, 120-volt system; however, many Mexican outlets have not been updated to accommodate three-prong and polarized plugs (those with one larger prong), so to be safe bring an adapter. If your appliances are dual-voltage you'll need only an adapter. Don't use 110-volt outlets, marked "for shavers only," for high-wattage appliances such as blow dryers. Most laptops operate equally well on 110 and 220 volts and so require only an adapter. It is well worth bringing a small surge protector if you're going to be plugging in your laptop, unless you have a newer computer with a battery and power adapter that handles both 120V/220V.

Previous Travel Tip

Customs and Duties

Next Travel Tip


Trending Stories


Find a Hotel


Fodor's Los Cabos

View Details