Fodor's Expert Review Église Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois
Founded in 500 AD, this grand church across from the Louvre's eastern end is one of the city's oldest. It was destroyed during the Norman siege in 885–886, rebuilt in the 11th century, and subsequently expanded until the current edifice was finished in 1580. The bell, named Marie, dates to 1527. During the renovation of Notre-Dame Cathedral, Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois is hosting the cathedral's liturgy services and is the temporary home of the crown of thorns relic, saved from the conflagration.