Fodor's Expert Review St Martin's Cathedral

Vienna Woods, Lake Neusiedler, and the Danube River Religious Building/Site/Shrine Fodor's Choice
The enormous golden crown and cushion on top of this beautiful Gothic cathedral reveals that this was once a coronation church. In fact, it was the coronation church for Hungarian (and later Austrian) monarchs for more than 250 years; 19 different royals were crowned here between 1563 and 1830, including Empress Maria Theresa. The church was also one of the city's lines of defense, which explains the chunky walls, the arrow-slit windows, and the exceptionally tall (lookout) tower. Luckily, the interior is more delicate and decorative, with dramatic rib vaults, colorful stained glass windows, and a grand altar showing St. Martin in a traditional Hungarian hussar dress. Next to the cathedral lie the remains of the Neologická Synagóga (Neological Synagogue), demolished by the communist government in the 1970s, and overlooked by the glorious facade of the Lekáreň u Salvátora (Pharmacy Salvator).
Religious Building/Site/Shrine Fodor's Choice

Quick Facts

Rudnayovo námestie 1
Bratislava, Bratislavský  811 01, Slovakia

02-544–313–59

www.dom.fara.sk

What’s Nearby

Related Forum Posts

Around the Web