Fodor's Expert Review Chuson-ji

Hiraizumi Religious Building/Site/Shrine Fodor's Choice

Founded in AD 850, this temple's highlight is its Konjikido (Golden Hall), which was completed in 1124. The first Ou Fujiwara lord, Kiyohara, commissioned many temples and pagodas during his reign, perhaps as many as 40, not to mention residences for 300 priests. Nearly all were destroyed by fire except for Konjikido, and it is the only structure in Chuson-ji that remains unchanged. More than 3,000 objects have survived and are now kept in the treasure house (Sankozo Museum). It's a 20-minute walk from JR Hiraizumi Station or a 10-minute bus ride.

Religious Building/Site/Shrine Historical Fodor's Choice

Quick Facts

202 Koromonoseki
Tateishi, Iwate-ken  029-4102, Japan

0191-46–2211

www.chusonji.or.jp/en

Sight Details:
Rate Includes: ¥800

What’s Nearby

Related Forum Posts

Around the Web