Car Travel

Driving yourself is not permitted in mainland China, as the only valid driver's licenses are Chinese ones. However, this restriction should be cause for relief, as city traffic is terrible, drivers manic and maniacal, and getting lost inevitable for first-timers. Conditions in Hong Kong aren't much better, but you can drive there using a U.S. or international license.

The quickest way to arrange for a car and driver is to flag down a taxi. If you're happy with a driver you've used for trips around town, ask if you can hire him for the day. After some negotiating, expect to pay between Y350 and Y600, depending on the type of car. Most hotels can make arrangements for you, though they often charge you double that rate.

Another alternative is American car-rental agency Avis, which includes mandatory chauffeurs as part of all rental packages.

Previous Travel Tip

Bus Travel

Next Travel Tip

Train Travel


Book A Trip



  • CARS

Trip Finder

Fodor's China

View Details
Travel Phrases

Learn Chinese Phrases before or while you're on the go!

Download Now