Fodor's Expert Review Cape Victoria Guest House
13 Torbay Rd., Cape Town, Western Cape, 8005, South Africa
Editor's Note: This location is no longer in operation.
Only a five-minute drive and a brisk 20-minute walk from the waterfront, this charming guesthouse is a luxurious refuge from the bustle of the city. Each room is individually decorated, and there are quirky touches throughout—from an enormous Victorian bath to an African-inspired room for those wishing they were on safari. The owner, Lily Kaplan, is a gem who knows Cape Town inside out, so she can give you all the hot tips when you arrive. The breakfasts are legendary; you will be fortified for the rest of the day, especially if you have a strong cup of coffee together with a slice of the freshly baked almond tart or Lily's special banana bread packed with fruit and nuts. The plunge pool on the terrace overlooking the city rooftops is a great place to unwind with a glass of wine at the end of a busy day.
- Lily is reason alone to stay here to benefit from her clued-in knowledge of the latest and greatest, combined with her loving grandmotherly attitude
- good daytime eating options within walking distance
- noise from guests in the other rooms can be heard as rooms aren't soundproofed
- wooden floors and staircase in the hotel and rooms creak
- tricky one-way roads make it difficult to access by car
Rate Includes: Free breakfast