When should I book Waikiki for July 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting to believe that travel may again be possible in 2022. We have a cruise ex SF next July and are planning on travelling from NZ via Hawaii. In theory there should be 3/4 flights a week on that route - of course currently there are none - but they are scheduled from April when NZ's borders are due to reopen to tourists. So I don't have flights yet.

But , when checking Booking.com - I'm seeing little availability for the 16-20July . I know I'm clear of the big holidays - but is this just normal for July in Oahu? I'm also not keen on paying over US$500/ night (we're just a couple) - but that seems to be the norm in Waikiki? Should I just book something refundable for the likely time period. and Cancel, reschedule later? I'm not that fussy but would like a pool and closeish to the beach/centre, and air con. First time to Hawaii so I have no idea. I don't want self-catering and don't want an airbnb - don't need parking - may hire a car for one day - but probably not longer than that.

It feels very odd to be booking hotels so far out and before flights - but then times are not exactly normal either! Are there any times when there is a sale on hotel rooms for July?
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, in this day and age, 8 months out is way too early to book rooms that are non-refundable.

Imperial Hawaii Resort is good value in a very good location, around $200 per night. What are you seeing that's $500 a night, exclusive beachfront resorts?
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Waikii Beachcomber was the one that shocked me . I'm seeing the Imperial - but its $300/night - its probably too early - I'm still seeing the mugs price for booking too early
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 02:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes I think it is too early. And personally I always book directly with the hotel for Waikiki. I like both Waikiki Sand Villa and White Sands Hotel.
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Yes I think it is too early. And personally I always book directly with the hotel for Waikiki. I like both Waikiki Sand Villa and White Sands Hotel.
I'll put them on the list - I find booking com easy to have a quick look for hotels - but yes I do book direct if possible - usually very worthwhile.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 04:19 PM

Happy to chat about hotels if you have questions. I've stayed at the old Hawaiiana Hotel twice (on Beach Walk sadly no longer), the Hawaiian King in a condo & once at White Sands both those on Nohonani, twice at Waikikki Sand Villa back by the Ala Wai canal (my personal favorite) - six trips. I've toured grounds or had meals at Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, Alohilani, the Breakers, Queen Kapiolani.
~~aloha~~
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 04:44 PM

That must be 300 AUD that youre seeing because I'm seeing under 200 USD
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
That must be 300 AUD that youre seeing because I'm seeing under 200 USD
I'm looking at 16-20 July 2022 - Wakiki Beachcomber is NZ$2600 = US1820 aka US$455/night now that's the true cost including all the resort fees etc etc . Booking direct via their website would give me a price of US$443 (or US$350+tax as they call it) .

Are you looking for prices right now? Possibly low season now?
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Happy to chat about hotels if you have questions. I've stayed at the old Hawaiiana Hotel twice (on Beach Walk sadly no longer), the Hawaiian King in a condo & once at White Sands both those on Nohonani, twice at Waikikki Sand Villa back by the Ala Wai canal (my personal favorite) - six trips. I've toured grounds or had meals at Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, Alohilani, the Breakers, Queen Kapiolani.
~~aloha~~
Yes please! When would you normally book for July? The likely dates are 16-20 July. First time visitors to Hawaii. My partner wants to see Pearl Harbour, I want to climb Diamond Head. I don't cook on holidays so want somewhere central so we can eat out easily. We are both interested in the history of Hawaii, though probably not the Polynesian show - we live in Polynesia (New Zealand) - so that side of things is not exotic or different for us. I want to see the old Palace, and museum.

We have a fantasy of hiring a convertible car - never been in one- it seems Hawaii maybe a good place to do that? Even if we don't we probably will hire a car for a day to drive around the island - but I don't think we'll need a car otherwise - we'll just rely on Uber of The Bus

For the hotel the most important thing is location, location, location - near the action bur preferably without a thumbing base at 3am next door . I don't care about decor but would like air con. Ideally a laundrette would be useful. A fridge too. Don't need a zillion in house bars and restaurants - but do like to be able to walk out the door and eat and drink and return safely.

A pool that is not arctic temperature would be nice. Walking distance to the beach is a must but I don't think i'm prepared to pay beachfront prices. Waikiki Sand Villa seems to have a decent sized pool in the pictures? Oh and of course a flexible cancellation policy just in case.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 06:59 PM

Waikiki is only 2 miles "long" (between Fort de Russy park and Kapiolani park) and 1/2 mile "wide" (between the ocean and the Ala Wai canal). So any place in Waikiki is a good location.

Sand Villa is my personal favorite - it is a 3-star hotel and reasonably priced by Hawaii standards. The pool is one of the nicest I've seen, even at the fancier hotels. It's where I stayed my last trip (Nov '19) and would be my first choice when I go back. I know prices have gone up everywhere but my room was $170/night my last stay. Rooms have an undercounter frig and a lanai (balcony) with view towards the mountains, sunrise, over the Ala Wai canal. 10 minutes walk to the beach.

Sounds like you would enjoy the Iolani Palace and Bishop Museum. Maybe the ShangriLa Estate.

I can't advise how early to book. I know things have been extra busy since the pandemic and I have not traveled myself recently. In the past I've only booked a few months in advance. But as long as the hotel has a generous cancellation policy, I don't see why you couldn't book any time since you seem to have your ideal dates pinned down.

Also Sand Villa has a well-respected local car rental agency right on-site (One's) as far as renting for a day or two.

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 07:15 PM

Waikiki Map with hotels and condos from $75 (808)394-2112.
This map might help you get the "lay of the land". It's a bit out of date as far as some of the hotel names and prices, but the street map is still accurate. And knowing the scale (2 miles x 0.5 mile) will give you a good idea of locations in relation to the beach, etc.
Restaurants, convenience stores (ABC Store) are literally on every block. Waikiki is the most tourist-friendly place I've ever visited.
The Bus is the name of the public transportation system. Very easy to get around on foot and using that. With a taxi or shuttle in and back to the airport (approx. 1/2 hour drive).
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 12:58 PM

Not Waikiki Beachcomber, the Imperial Hawaii Resort. You said you saw it at $300, booking.com is showing me $175

The Aqua Oasis has good reviews and a good location, $180US Imperial has a nicer pool though and bit better location.

Old Dec 8th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
Not Waikiki Beachcomber, the Imperial Hawaii Resort. You said you saw it at $300, booking.com is showing me $175

The Aqua Oasis has good reviews and a good location, $180US Imperial has a nicer pool though and bit better location.
Sorry my confusion - just checked again - the cheapest rooms in July are your price point - but they are only double beds - and I may be old and fat but the thought of sharing a asmall bed with my partner after an overnight flight and when switching climate from winter to summer is very unattractive! We could get a huge 1 bedroom with a queen though - which is about US$260/night - I'm beginning to get the impression thats a good price!

Last edited by lissie45; Dec 8th, 2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 02:38 PM

which is about US$260/night - I'm beginning to get the impression thats a good price!

For Hawaii you need to take a booking thru to a final number... there's something like 18% taxes plus possible resort fees, so something that shows originally on a website as $260 is likely more like $300-$325/night.

I stay in Waikiki at places under $200/night but they are 3-star and not near the beach.
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

which is about US$260/night - I'm beginning to get the impression thats a good price!

For Hawaii you need to take a booking thru to a final number... there's something like 18% taxes plus possible resort fees, so something that shows originally on a website as $260 is likely more like $300-$325/night.

I stay in Waikiki at places under $200/night but they are 3-star and not near the beach.
Yes I'm dong a fake booking and looking at that price - can't believe its legal to do such misleading advertising! NYC was similar from memory
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 12:38 PM

Hotel Renew gets very good reviews and has king-bed rooms @ $212US including all taxes and the resort fee when booked directly at hotelrenew.com. No pool, but a block from the beach, and cancellation policy is 72 hrs before arrival date. It's located over on the Kapa'aoloni Park/ Honolulu Zoo end of Waikiki beach. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...hu_Hawaii.html
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would book a refundable room now and keep looking for better deals. The Outriggers are generally pretty good. I've stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki and have been to the Outrigger Reef. There are other Outriggers a block or two off the beach that will be less expensive. There is barely a low season in Hawaii - hotel prices range from expensive to very expensive (given what you get).
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 07:38 PM

can't believe its legal to do such misleading advertising!

I don't think it is "misleading advertising". Most places don't post their full rate including taxes, resort fees, etc. It's just that Hawaii's are higher than others, so makes a bigger difference. Something like 18% in taxes, then resort fees (at some hotels, not all) are added. Or booking thru a 3rd party site you may need to pay that part to the hotel directly.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 08:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lissie45
. . . can't believe its legal to do such misleading advertising! NYC was similar from memory
That's an 'American thing'. Its not like in most of Europe or NZ where things like VAT or other taxes and fees are typically included in the room rate. That's not how it works most anywhere in he USA. Just something one gets used to. Actually Hawaii's taxes are in the same neighborhood as places like the SF Bay area, NYC, LA, etc.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by lissie45
Yes I'm dong a fake booking and looking at that price - can't believe its legal to do such misleading advertising! NYC was similar from memory
There are several websites such as Expedia which list the total price rather than requiring "fake bookings".

​​​​​​Yes I do think it is far too early.

July is nearly peak pricing given that it's US school holidays, even worse if you are looking around July 4 Holiday. So I don't know if you will see any last minute sales.

Nearly all hotels have a minifrig and A/C. Not all have pools.

I recently had a few nights at the Astin Waikiki Circle. Right across from the swimming beach at Waikiki. All rooms with Balcony. I think most if not all are two double beds. No pool thank goodness I have no interest in laying out since I am not an escapee from Gloomy climates. If you get a partial Ocean view there is enough to see from the balcony and you are not on the noisy main drag. I got a good low season price ( after Thanksgiving until Mid December).

Oh yes, it has an elevator and is not in the worst of the homeless corridor.

​​​​​

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 12th, 2021 at 10:19 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -