West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Yellowstone to Salt Lake City

We are doing a Yellowstone National Park trip in September, ending with two days in West Yellowstone, MT. We are going to drive south to Salt Lake City to site see before going to Colorado.
*My question is: What is there to see in Idaho not going too far off route? (I know northern Idaho looks the prettiest but that’s way out of the way as we are heading home.)
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 04:59 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Lava Hot Springs is a nice small town with, you guessed it, hot springs. Just off your probable route. There’s a simple spa facility right at the edge of town, a relaxing place to spend a day or a few hours in the pools. I stopped there on the way to Yellowstone with a friend from the area & it’s been a regular stop for her for a long time.

Looks like they’ve added a big swimming pool & water slide since I was there but the “hot pools” are the long-standing attraction. I recommend it.

https://lavahotsprings.com/hotpools/

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 05:00 PM

I'm not sure if you can do it from where you are describing but the Jordan River canyon road is absolutely gorgeous
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 05:17 PM

Between West Yellowstone and SLC there are some sights to see. But realize that it is a long 6 hour drive to SLC. We usually make one stop to break up the trip.
1. Harriman State Park, south of Island Park. This has some nice hiking trails, old buildings and an amazing view of birds on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River.
2. As you drive between West Yellowstone and Rexburg--look for sandhill cranes
3. In Idaho Falls, there is a great small Museum--the Museum of Southeastern Idaho. They have some really good traveling exhibits. It's worth it to check it out online to see if you want to stop.
4. Blackfoot Idaho has the ---Potato Museum. Seriously, it will be the best hour of your trip. I kid you not.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 05:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Another small museum along your way is the Farnsworth museum in Rigby ID. Call ahead if you are interested in seeing early televisions and other local antiques and junk. Philo Farnsworth is credited by many as the inventor of television. He drew out the plans on a chalkboard while he was still in high school.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 08:10 AM

I prefer the Hwy191/89 route down through YNP, Teton NP to Bear Lake and through Logan Canyon. It may take a little longer to drive but it is much more scenic than taking the direct route.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by jdaniell
We are doing a Yellowstone National Park trip in September, ending with two days in West Yellowstone, MT. We are going to drive south to Salt Lake City to site see before going to Colorado.
*My question is: What is there to see in Idaho not going too far off route? (I know northern Idaho looks the prettiest but that’s way out of the way as we are heading home.)
Not really answering your question exactly but in West Yellowstone we very much staying at the Three Bear Lodge which also has an excellent restaurant. They have rooms both in the lodge itself and attached motel. We stayed in the motel type rooms and they were large and had very interesting furniture. Breakfast at the lodge was included.

In SLC we stayed at the Crystal Inn twice which also had very nice rooms, one with a hot tub and the included breakfast was excellent.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 02:12 PM

Gretchen, do you mean Logan Canyon?

You can also do the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway.

But if you're continuing onto CO (by car I'm assuming) I probably wouldn't choose to drive via Salt Lake. Where in CO are you headed?