Search

Utah photo tour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2021, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah photo tour

I am planning a trip with a photo group to Utah; arriving in Salt Lake City on October 23, 2021, and flying out of Salt Lake City, back to Boston ,October 27th. Days 1 and 2 will be travel through Capital Reef National Park, with stops in Fruita, Cathedral Valley, and ending the second day shooting the Temple of the Sun at sunset. Days 3 and 4 will be in Arches National Park. Day 5 is in Canyonlands NP, finishing the second day with sunset views of the Colorado Rive at Dead Horse Point SP. Our final day we'll spend in Monument Valley, with a trip to the Navajo Tribal Park. Any advice about how to pack for October in these parks, footwear for this special terrain, and photography experience with this special landscape would be greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid any unwelcome surprises, if possible. Thanking you in advance for your response.
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 02:53 PM

Dress in layers. You will want short sleeve t shirts and long sleeve fleece or sweaters as well as a jacket that will repel rain and wind. I would wear jeans and some lighter weight slacks. If you normally wear hiking boots when you hike then wear them, otherwise good trail sneakers should be enough.

I have never felt the need for dressy clothes in this area, but if you go for that look fine. I usually take a cashmere sweater for an added warm layer that does not take up much room and looks a bit less grungy if we are eating at nicer place.
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have a drawer full of Under Armour mock turtleneck ColdGear. Will that be too warm for mid-day hiking?
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 03:45 PM

I would put a short sleeve t under the Under Armor that you could peel off if you were too warm. It is high desert, so may be warm for a while midday then cool way off as the sun starts to set.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 09:38 PM

Cat Valley foto

Don't know how to paste into existing text hope this works.

Cat Valley overlook

Old Oct 7th, 2021, 09:42 PM

Opps - text did not appear with the pic
Cathedral Valley - rare to read of anyone going there.
Don't go on a cloudy day Bentonite hills are boring w/o sun as is everything else.
Been there three times. Serene campground.
The only book that tours this area in detail is Escalante To Moab, Utah available at Amazon
It provides mile-by-mile guide.
There is a birds eye view of Sun/Moon at M 3.4 (reading the book now)
The absolute, best, perfect view is at M 13.6 Upper Cathedral Valley Overlook. I believe it is a late PM foto
Don't' ignore the Walls of Jerico.
You need a high clearance vehicle. Heard the sand was getting deep on the road to Sun/Moon that may require 4-WD. Verify at visitor center.
Old Oct 8th, 2021, 05:19 PM

It sounds like you are not the planner but a participant? Since you didn't ask for advice on where to go. Do I assume the route is fixed and the leader has already figured out the route and timings?

There is a book called Photographing the Southwest which has a lot of tips. There are older editions which might be worth picking up online before your trip.

I would bring at least one pair of hiking boots or 'trail runners" with a good grip and then some comfortable slipons. I Imagine you may be walking on some unpaved trails or in sand at least part of the time. Not knowing your level of fitness maybe one collapsible walking pole. They can be a bit awkward with photo equipment but very handy on downhills. If you have a backpack make sure it's got an outside pocket for water bottles. You don't want them leaking inside the bag with all of your gear.

It may rain so be prepared for that. I find that a collapsible umbrella is handy if rain is forecast. There are clips for tripods, I assume you will want to bring a tripod, often to get the best light you will be going at dawn and dusk.

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 8th, 2021 at 05:34 PM.