UT/AZ Trip in June 2020

Search

UT/AZ Trip in June 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UT/AZ Trip in June 2020

Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a few months gleaning info on your travel plans for UT/AZ. I am now working on our rescheduled plans and would love any advice or suggestions you can offer regarding this possible itinerary. We will be road tripping as a family of 4, 2 adults, our 18yo daughter and our 16yo son. This is what I am thinking of, but would love your input

13 June
Depart Boise ID - Drive to Zion NP
Spend 2 nights here. We have a tentative reservation at the Hampton Inn and Suites

15 June Zion - Vegas
Spend 1 night here, hotel TBD.

16 June Vegas - Lake Havasu to see family
Spend 1 night here, hotel suggestions welcome.

17 June Havasu - S. Rim of the Grand Canyon
Spend 1 or 2 nights here. Looking at staying in the park, which is available right now but not sure which lodge is best. Hoping to pay around $200 per night.

18 June Grand Canyon - Page, AZ
Spend 1 night here to visit Antelope Canyon. Hotel suggestions welcome

19 June Page - Bryce Canyon
Spend 1 - 2 nights here, depending on how many we stay at the GC. Have reservations at Ruby's Inn. We have plans to do Bryce one day and possible Escalante for the 2nd day if we do 2 nights in the area

21 June Bryce Canyon - Boise drive home

I have read many of your posts, reviews etc. Just not sure if we want to spend 1 or 2 nights at the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon or if there is another place we should be sure not to miss.

Looking forward to your recommendations, tips, etc.

Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2020, 05:16 PM
J62

Quick glance it looks like a great itinerary to me.
At GC, "Best" is relative. There are 6 or 7 different properties
4 are literally right on the rim
El Tovar
Bright Angel
Kachina / Thunderbird

and two very close by
Maswick / Yavapai

I put them roughly in order of "quality" but since all are right there in the park any of them is far better than being remote out of the park. The day trip crowds tend to arrive around 9 or 10am, and thin out by late afternoon so before and after will be your best times to be in the more crowded areas.

I've only stayed at Yavapai myself and it's at most 1/2 mi, 10min walk from the rim. Easy drive up/parking, cafeteria, and a small shop or 2. I believe it's run by a different concessionaire than the others.

I liked it for the ease of parking, very quiet, no crowds around it, shaded area back in the forest. I felt like I was in a national park, not a crowded tourist attraction. Your preference may vary. Others with more experience at the other hotels can give you more info.

Re Zion. Any hotel in Sprindale will be an ok location. Personally I prefer Cable Mtn lodge as it is literally right outside the pedestrian entrance to the park. I don't know what the shuttle bus situaion is like there now, but that location lets you walk across a bridge, into the park and hop onto the in-park shuttle (if it is running). There is a town shuttle that in normal times would take you to the park entrance, then from there you'd get the in-park shuttle. You'll have to research current conditions. If there is no shuttle then all bets are off.

Last edited by J62; May 27th, 2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless there is something you really want to see in Las Vegas, maybe stay at a hotel in Henderson or at the Hoover Dam Lodge. There is a back road that goes from Valley of Fire SP along the west side of Lake Mead coming out near Hoover Dam. If you don't get reservations at one of the inside park places, there are some good places in Flagstaff. You should also consider visiting Sedona while in the area. Pack your cloth masks and plan on practicing social distancing.
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:07 PM

Shuttles in Zion are not currently running. They take the first 400 cars and that's it. Not sure if Antelope Canyon will be open. The Navajo Reservation is on strict lock down and weekend curfews. Bryce and Escalante should be ok. But you will need to check websites daily for all of these places to see what is open, what are the alternate hours of operations, etc.
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this suggestion! I will check into Cable Mtn. Lodge in case the shuttle is not operating yet.
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StantonHyde
Shuttles in Zion are not currently running. They take the first 400 cars and that's it. Not sure if Antelope Canyon will be open. The Navajo Reservation is on strict lock down and weekend curfews. Bryce and Escalante should be ok. But you will need to check websites daily for all of these places to see what is open, what are the alternate hours of operations, etc.

Thank you for your response! I have been checking the GCNP website daily and it looks as though they plan to open just prior to our arrival. I will keep my eyes on the Zion Shuttle & Navajo Nation updates because that could change the later part of our trip.
Old May 28th, 2020, 08:39 PM
J62

There are two shuttles at Zion. One is the Springdale town shuttle that takes you to the entrance (near Cable mtn lodge). The other is the in-park shuttle. If that is not running (as StantonHyde posted), then you have to be one of the 1st 400 cars into the park. If that's the case, then the location of the hotel is less relevant.
Old May 29th, 2020, 02:28 AM
J62

The other alternative to trying to get into the park by car is to go in by bike. Zion Canyon road is 8mi end to end, and it's an easy, flat ride all the way to the end. You can rent bikes at various places. I've used the one below for both mountain bikes and road bikes. You'd want to reserve bikes well ahead of travel so ensure they had one for you as they will be in high demand due to the car limits. There are some excellent mountain biking off-road trails near Hurricane, outside the park. If you were there for longer and/or were serious MTB riders it's worthwhile. If you only have a few days then focusing on the park is best. In the park you are limited to riding on the road which is ok except for all of the cars / drivers not paying attention.

https://www.zioncycles.com/

Old May 29th, 2020, 11:46 AM

I like the historic Bright Angel cabins, but they really only work for singles or a couple (just one Queen Bed) . Maswik is okay and has two queens. Rooms have a refrigerator but no microwave. I don't think Yavapai rooms even have a refrigerator. Maswik Rooms are accessed from exterior hallways and if you get a top floor room you have to carry luggage upstairs. I always get the top floor because I worry about the elephants overhead. There is construction ongoing at Maswick South (see Xanterra's website).

It's a hair less expensive than Yavapai. Both are in the $200 Plus range.

I would do two nights, you can't check in until 3pm and one of the good things about staying in the park is that your room comes with a parking spot. That's more valuable at the Maswik area.

Food sucks in the park, so also nice to have a refrigerator.

In Springdale, I've stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites, and liked it. If it is open to regular tourists, I think it's a good choice for families. The rooms are well equipped with refrigerator, microwave and the rate is within your budget.

Last edited by mlgb; May 29th, 2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old May 29th, 2020, 12:06 PM

I see no reason to skip Las Vegas to try and save a few bucks. The teens will probably get a kick out of the neon and might like to see the Mob Museum. June 15 is on a Monday so rates will be much lower than on the weekend and Vegas is hurting now anyway due to the virus.
Old May 30th, 2020, 06:48 PM

Do make sure you are some of the first cars in line in the morning. Arches closed within 3 hours last Monday because its parking lots were full--opened at 6 am, closed at 9am. Was able to open back up at noon. People are coming from all over to get outside in the parks. You need to get a hotel in Springdale ASAP. Same with any other places you don't have hotels.
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has commented so far! We are having to tweak and adjust our plans as it looks like the Navajo Nation has just extended their lockdown and Hoover Dam is still closed to the public as well.

We are booked for 2 nights in Springfield and will be able to get up early each of those mornings to get in line for the park. I am just planning that the shuttle will not be running and if that changes then we are in luck!

Still trying to decide on a Vegas hotel. Most shows are still closed and museums/attractions are requiring masks so we will probably skip most of those. I am thinking we will hit the big hotels such as NY NY, Caesars, Venetian etc. and try to enjoy as many free options as we can. It seems most hotels will just be opening up again and I don't expect huge crowds which will be a bonus for us.

I decided on 2 nights at Maswick Lodge. I really liked the location and the fact that there were fridges in the rooms. I am hoping we can bring our own breakfast/lunch foods to make up for paying to stay in the park (which is totally worth it!)

We had plans to travel to Page, AZ for 1 night to go to Antelope Canyon but it was announced today that their lockdown is extended until at least July 5th. I am now researching other options for slot canyons in Nevada, such as Buckskin Gulch or something in the Grand Staircase/Escalente area. We may skip Page altogether, and instead hit Horseshoe Bend on the way to Bryce Canyon/Escalante Area and stay 2 nights there instead. Any thoughts about that as a plan?
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 02:44 AM
J62

"museums/attractions are requiring masks so we will probably skip most of those"

I don't follow. Those are the places I'd be going as it shows they care about my safety...

If you do go through Page consider taking a 1/2 day raft float on the Colorado river. No idea if they are running but if they are it's a whole different perspective.

Old Jun 5th, 2020, 03:53 AM

Two nights in Maswick should be fine. That will give you plenty of time to explore the view points on the rim, hike some on the rim trail, and down into the canyon a way on Bright Angel or South Kaibab trail as well as VC and some of the other sites. You can enjoy the park before the day trippers and after they leave.

Do pick up a inexpensive cooler at the beginning of the trip and keep ice, drinks yogurt, cheese etc. with you to cut down on food expenses. We have given it to a family who is arriving at the car rental when we were turning in the car.

in Vegas, do be aware of resort fees and parking fees when you are deciding on a hotel. Sometimes they double the cost of a night stay.

I agree that if you do go to Page, the smooth water raft trip on the Colorado River from the dam to Lees Ferry is nice, You go right by Horseshoe bend and up where thr rafting trips through Grand Canyon put in.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
"museums/attractions are requiring masks so we will probably skip most of those"

I don't follow. Those are the places I'd be going as it shows they care about my safety...

We don't feel masks are necessary and touring a museum for hours wearing one isn't ideal for us. If they were not mandatory it would be different.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 09:24 AM

Skip Page altogether and stay in Kanab. It's a great town. You could see Best Friends Animal Sanctuary or hike part of Buckskin Gulch. While you may think that masks are not necessary, make sure you have them with you. Many businesses won't let you in the door with out them. Utah is on Yellow, which is great for traveling but we are seeng an alarming state wide increase is # cases per day. So people are sensitive about masks in some areas.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StantonHyde
Skip Page altogether and stay in Kanab. It's a great town. You could see Best Friends Animal Sanctuary or hike part of Buckskin Gulch. While you may think that masks are not necessary, make sure you have them with you. Many businesses won't let you in the door with out them. Utah is on Yellow, which is great for traveling but we are seeng an alarming state wide increase is # cases per day. So people are sensitive about masks in some areas.
Thanks so much, that is what we are going to do. Buckskin is now on our must do list since we cannot visit Antelope Canyon. The animal sanctuary is closed to visitors at the moment but I'll keep my eye on it. Do you have a hotel/motel recommendation there?

We will take masks with us just in case, but hope we do not have to use them.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 11:06 AM

If you are okay with small rooms and two Queen Beds, the various Canyons Collection motels are well-managed. Looks like Canyons Lodge has a room for your night.

The Red Canyon Cabins might be a good COVID choice (search on Hotels.com).

Old Jun 7th, 2020, 01:23 PM

We like the Quail (something) Inn--it has a family room suite. Buckskin Gulch is awesome. You can hike down as far as a few big obstacles and then return. Remember that geting down something is much easier than climbing back up. I have needed a few "pushes" on some of the obstacles in Buckskin. The Rocking V is my favorite place to eat--really good food. You could see if Pipe Springs National Monument is open--it is quite interesting.

Utah's Covid cases are climbing rapidly at this point. Be prepared to use the masks and please understand that these small towns do not have hospitals with ICUs--wearing a mask in a store is courteous thing to do. (I work in helath care in Utah)
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 01:39 PM

Quail Park Lodge? I see the Family Suite is available. Run by the same people. I stayed at their first place, Canons Lodge, shortly after they took it over in 2013 (it was the old Bon-Bon).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -