summer trip

Old May 11th, 2021, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
summer trip

I would love to visit Leavenworth, WA in July of this year. Can you tell me is that a good time or should I pick another month? Also we love smaller boutique type hotels. What would you recommend?
Thank you. Also is any part of the drive from Seattle scary? And/or very curvy? (motion sickness)! Thank you again.
Old May 12th, 2021, 06:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Amtrak train #8 (Empire Builder) leaves Seattle King Street station at 4:40PM on the days that it runs (currently 3 days/week). It may go back to a seven day schedule by July. The train arrives at the Icicle station at 8:00PM which should be still daylight in July. Arrange for a taxi to meet you at the Leavenworth station. Leavenworth is a lovely Bavarian themed town which has several craft breweries. It has active tourism at least 6 months per year. There is an Amtrak bus that runs from Seattle to the 76 gas station in downtown Leavenworth. You can look up the schedule for that if the train doesn't work out.
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Yes, Leavenworth is busy all year long and has a lot to offer. There are close to 50 tasting rooms in town, several excellent breweries and at least one distillery. Highway2 is very scenic, but also a bit twisty, so highway 90 and then Blewett Pass would probably be a better option for you. As for small hotels, there are mostly large hotels, but a few small ones. If you want small you are better off with an Air BnB here. What are you looking to do? Just wander the town or get out and hike, etc? Be warned that it seems like everyone in the US is headed here to WA this summer, and even in normal times Leavenworth is a zoo in July. So pack your patience
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:26 AM

A couple of things if you do decide to drive:

Leavenworth is just over Stevens Pass on highway 2, however, you will see that google maps will give you 2 choices from downtown Seattle. One route shows going over the 520 bridge (which is a toll bridge) and then north to highway 2 and then other takes you across I-90 (non-toll) and then east across Snoqualmie Pass and north on highway 97. Even though the mileage is longer going the second route, as you can see the time is almost identical.

I would probably do a "hybrid" of these 2 routes and take I-90 east (to avoid the toll-particularly if you don't have the "fastrak electronic payment box) to I-405 north and then connect up to highway 2 via the 520 once you are on the non-tolled section. I don't find either route (i-90 or highway 2) particularly scary or wildly curvy as mountain roads go (and I am timid about that kind of stuff too). I don't get motion sickness-just nerves And IMO highway 2 and Stevens Pass is more scenic.

Here's a screen shot of the two routes from google, although again I would take the route in blue only as far as the I-405 north and then cut up to the route marked in gray

Here's a shot with the detail of that connection:

Old May 12th, 2021, 09:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All I know is from reading travel forums (I live in Seattle) but if the WA state forum on Trip Advisor is any indication it is going to be a super BUSY summer here. Please remember we are still fighting the Covid Pandemic here, so many residents are also sticking closer to home and using our state and national parks perhaps even more heavily than usual. Honestly this is not a trip I would want to take this July. I'd at least wait until closer to fall (early September) or wait until next year.