Are gas stations open for use driving from Florida to Bowling Green Ky
Old May 5th, 2020, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas stations aren't closed.
Old May 5th, 2020, 12:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Gas stations aren't closed.
You should use vinyl or latex gloves whenever you lift the nozzle on any gas pump. A mask or face covering is a good idea if someone is pumping on the other side of the gas pump. Drive safely.
Old May 7th, 2020, 06:16 AM

Gas stations are open throughout the country.

Here in California, the Arco stations have installed sanitizer dispensers.

If you use gloves, please don't throw them on the ground.
Old May 8th, 2020, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gas pump handles are probably no more "contaminated" now than they ever were. But what are you going to do if you wear gloves while pumping gas? Are you going to remove the gloves BEFORE driving further? If you do then you should wash your hands after glove removal which is standard contamination-prevention practice. I'm waiting for somebody to tell you that while you are driving you should be wearing a mask.

Last edited by Dukey1; May 8th, 2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 9th, 2020, 04:47 AM
J62

I'm waiting for somebody to tell you that while you are driving you should be wearing a mask.

LOL. I see many people doing just that, and scratch my head.
Old May 9th, 2020, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proper degloving technique leaves the hands clean. To remove glove 1, used gloved hand 2 to grip glove 1 near but not at the palm side of the wrist end of glove 1. Pull off glove 1 but continue to hold it with hand 2. Then use the index finger of clean degloved hand 1 to reach inside glove 2, again on the palm side just below the wrist. Pull off glove 2 so that it is inside out and mostly enveloping glove 1 (because you are holding glove 1 in hand 2. Then use hand 1 to grip glove 2 (inside clean surface which is now outside) so as to also hold glove 1 inside of glove 2 as you pull glove 2 off your fingers. Glove 1 winds up inside the inverted glove 2. Throw both gloves away as one item. Then use hand sanitizer to clean your hands including a short way up the wrists.
It is easy to understand once you have seen it.

Last edited by AJPeabody; May 9th, 2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 9th, 2020, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by J62
I'm waiting for somebody to tell you that while you are driving you should be wearing a mask.

LOL. I see many people doing just that, and scratch my head.
On the rare occasions I go grocery shopping I wear a mask. I put it on before I leave the house and take it off after I return, so obviously I am wearing it in the car (for all of five minutes, each way). What is so strange about that?
Old May 9th, 2020, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by lucci
Are gas stations open for use driving from Florida to Bowling Green Ky
TruckStopGuide.com
Old May 9th, 2020, 11:42 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I pumped gas yesterday. I wiped my hands with a Lysol wipe when I was finished and before I touched my door handle. I keep several wipes in a small plastic bag in my car - I just took one out of the bag before I got out to pump gas.

I've never been a germophobe, but I'm beginning to feel like one.

I'm amused when I see people out taking walks or hiking with face masks. I live in an area where you can walk for miles without seeing another soul, so why the mask?

Last edited by Melnq8; May 9th, 2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old May 9th, 2020, 03:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I never wear a mask in the car (solo) or when walking/hiking outside. Don't see a useful purpose since a mask is to protect others, not myself. Did yesterday though -- I had to take my tenant (lives next door) to a Dr appt and she and I both wore masks. As soon as she was out of the car I put the top down and took off the mask and drove home with the wind in my (waaaaaay too scraggly, overly long) hair. Another neighbor picked her up after the appt.

(I actually think hairdressers should be able to open -- they are used to taking precautions and sanitizing things. My Hairdresser volunteers 2 days a month - or used to before the virus put an end to it - at two local rehab facilities/nursing homes and she has always worn masks and gloves and sterilized things because her clients there were vulnerable to germs brought in)
Old May 10th, 2020, 03:00 AM

'm amused when I see people out taking walks or hiking with face masks. I live in an area where you can walk for miles without seeing another soul, so why the mask?

Umm, you saw these people? We live in a retirement community and are "required" to wear masks when not in our own home/apartment. They are learning more and more about the contagion by aerosolization of this virus. The "invisiility" of this menace is maddening and hard to fight. And the people who have the virus and don't know it but can shed it.
Old May 10th, 2020, 06:27 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Gretchen - I live in a mountain town in Colorado. We're very fortunate that we have so much open space. We often see people using the path that runs along the highway as we drive into town. Many miles of path, very few people.

We walk in the woods behind our house every day - wearing a mask defeats the purpose of going out for fresh air IMO.
Old May 10th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think there is a vast gulf between places like where Gretchen lives and where Melnq8 lives. If I lived in a retirement community where the majority are over 60's and maybe basically on top of each other I might wear a mask outdoors too. But in rural areas - and even in my plain vanilla suburban neighborhood - it would be a really really unusual situation to come within 50 or 100 feet of anyone else when out walking. And that would have to be doing it on purpose. In my suburb it would be 100% useless to wear a mask outdoors (even though the next county over mandates people do so which is silly anywhere except the three towns of any size in that county - the rest being mostly villages, farms and ranch land).
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:06 AM

I don't wear a mask while walking round my neighborhood. I don't walk in the local town park because there are too many complaints on Next Door about the failure of people to maintain safe distance. However, I definitely wear a mask when grocery shopping. A mask is for your own protection as well as other people's. At the least it will keep your hands off your face, and at most it will reduce airborne transmission.
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:43 AM

Of course if you live in an unpopulated area do what is "best for you AND those around you:". And don't forget the part about "those around you".
Our administration is scared ____less of a case of Corona getting here--if there is one, it could ignite a killing field, as it has in other less well run "homes"--this is not one of them fortunately. AND it is darned boring and depriving not seeing our 5 year old granddaughter and our kids. But it is what has to be done at the moment.
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:53 AM

Just saw that more than half of the Covid-19 related deaths in NC are in nursing/rehab facilities. Five in my county but all standalone, not part of CCRCs. I'm on the waitlist for a CCRC, it shut down in early March, same time I did. I have immediate family in the UK, don't expect to see them before fall 2021, if then. (But I'm immuno-compromised, so doubly at risk.)
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:24 AM

Yes, we have been in lockdown since March and our healthcare unit even moreso. Family cannot even visit. All deliveries are made to the front door and are disinfected before delivery to a unit. All our meals are delivered to our door.
Good luck on your CCRC entry. We are opening a new building in late summer and it seems to be on target for folks to move in.
We have a beach week in early June and IF we went we would have to self quarantine for 14 days when returning. Not sure we will even go.
Old May 10th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Thanks! The CCRC has an extremely long wait list (four years for a one bedroom, ten years for a two bedroom!) but has an expansion planned. Was to be move in in 2023, don't know now, as they had just hit the target for deposits (including mine) when they shut down. Not sure how welcoming the beach will be, even though it seems to be opening up.
Old May 11th, 2020, 02:33 AM

We have a long wait list that fluctuates with the expansions which have been done. It was probably similar So your time is probably about the same. Where are you, if you don't mind? It is a great conficence booster to be in a quality care community. Ours is quite outstanding.

Last edited by Gretchen; May 11th, 2020 at 02:35 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -