RVing through North East

Old Jul 12th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RVing through North East

My son has a 23 foot RV based on a E350 Ford Chassis. He asked if I would suggest a route through the NE beginning around Camp David in Maryland. He is interested in scenery rather than history or cultural sites. I did a tent camping trip like that some 60 years ago and some highlights were Arcadia NP, Ausable Chasm and Canada up to Gaspe. His passport is expired and there is not enough time to get it renewed and his teen daughter does not have one at all, so Canada is out. I was thinking of the Adirondacks and Lake George and or the coast of Maine. He is looking for scenic routes rather than Interstates. He has 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 12th, 2022, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What time of year? The Maine coast is a bit of a shetshow this summer what with foreign visitors being allowed in for the first in 3 summers. Long lines at restaurants that can't find any help/ have to close unexpectedly from day to day.... parking problems at the beaches, and I'd imagine that most of the RV campsites are booked up already. September right after labor day things might start to lighten up a bit.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold
What time of year? The Maine coast is a bit of a shetshow this summer what with foreign visitors being allowed in for the first in 3 summers. Long lines at restaurants that can't find any help/ have to close unexpectedly from day to day.... parking problems at the beaches, and I'd imagine that most of the RV campsites are booked up already. September right after labor day things might start to lighten up a bit.
Thanks-II had some of the same thoughts. Unfortunately this is a last minute thing and will most likely start in the next few weeks.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 03:54 PM

Blue Ridge Mtns to Asheville? Sorry for south instead of NE!

Lancaster Pa area?
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Catskills leading into the Adirondacks, then over the Vermont's Green Mountains and onto New Hampshire's White Mountains. All very scenic with good hiking, fishing and water sports. Lots of breweries and casual restaurants.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest Vermont and/or New Hampshire. Maybe parts of upstate New York and western Massachusetts. Could stop in Connecticut or Rhode Island on the road trip north.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 02:43 AM

We used to pull a camper. First trick is to get thru CT yet avoid Hartford traffic. Then continue north thru rural western MA to VT.
or check going north to Albany NY area then cutting across VT from Bennington to Brattleboro. You have to go over Hogback mountain but it shouldn't be a problem in that size RV. I91 is decent scenery for an interstate. He might google VT swimming holes and compare to campgrounds. There's a great small gorge near Bristol VT with a small waterfall but parking is roadside. Although we didn't swim it was fun to picnic in the trees and watch brave people jump into deep pool fro ledges.
we liked a small campground north of Burlington. I think it was Fairfax. We did a day trip heading further north and then south thru Champlain's Hero islands.

I89 from Burlington area to NH is also scenic and rural for an interstate all the way to where it connects to I93 south of Concord NH. Tip: heading north on I93 from Concord is usually pleasant if traffic isn't heavy and I,ve always liked the way the mountains get closer. i93 cuts thru the White Mountains somthere are choices of campgrounds and activities. Hiking the Flume is beautiful but might be overcrowded with tourists. If you get off I93 at exit 23 you can head to Meredith which is on Lake Winnipesaukee. Pretty but can be congested. The idea is to head to Moultonboro then hang a left to Center Sandwich then over to Tamworth then can connect to rt 16. White lake has a campground that my husband's family used to visit and some cousins still do. It may be full. The Center Sandwich area is base of White Mountains and where sled dogs used to be trained for polar expeditions. Google Chinook Trail. There's a mushroom farm and distillery in Tamworth also summer theater.

From rt 16 you can continue to North Conway tourist mecca but also plot the inland route to the Portland ME area. Midcoast Maine will be less busy except for areas like Camden and Boothbay Harbor. Searsport Shores campground is onmthe ocean but not a great beach. We camped at Chewonky in Wiscasset for location plus quiet campground on a former farm. Seemed to be popular with Maine folk.

With a good map he can find almost parallel state highways to interstates plus some bypasses. For example, instead of I89 to Concord take secondary roads. If you get off in New London he could detour to Winslow state park (toll) for a drive up small Mt Kearsarge. Great views from picnic area. Switchback road up the mountain shouldn't be a problem. Then head to Warner and continue thru Contoocook and Hopkinton to Concord. Or from Warner head to Webster then Boscawen to I93. This is old small farm country but should pass at least two corn stands. Best ice cream in NH is Richardson's in Boscawen.

I would also recommend driving past Canterbury Shaker Village because it's so pretty. Absolute gem of a working farm and agricultural education center is Sanborn Mills Farm in Loudon. Their rare open farm day is July 24. Google info. Working grist and saw mills. You can go there to learn how to work with draft animals.

we used to use the DeLorme atlas and gazeteer for each state. Shows every road, location of covered bridges and waterfalls. Available at bookstores and some gas stations.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 12:19 PM
J62

Upstate NY has a bunch of state run camprgounds where you can park an RV. Some have RV hookups/ services, others not, but generally speaking NY state run campgrounds have good sites, bbq grill, fire pit, water, and close by showers/toilets so they wouldn't necessary be filling up their own tank.

you can look here for more info https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7825.html

As with Maine, the Adirondacks are also somewhat of a #@$$ show as well, at least on weekends. I was at a campground on Schroon lake a few weeks ago on a Sat (for a 1-day event) and they weren't letting day users into the park. Black flies weren't bad, but deer flies were...

A key question would be do they want to up and move every day or 2, or are they looking for somewhere with a waterfront to stay for a few days, and maybe use the RV to come and go during the day? Some parks have kayak/canoe rentals, others do not, so factor that in.

Do they want to be close to a town with restarurants/supermarket, or more remote, in the open space. The Catskills have a whole lotta open space. Ditto for the Adirondacks, but there are many small towns sprinkled in here or there where you can find things to do, and a lot more lakes of small, med, or large size with state facilities that are beautiful lake front locations.

Personally, I like the Saranac Lake area. It's very close to Lake Placid, but not as busy. We stay in hotels, but I'm sure there are state facilities near there, and the town is big enough for dining/grocery options with endless hiking nearby.
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 01:12 AM

J62 makes some good points and perhaps teen daughter might want to make some choices. One of our teen granddaughters would love proximity to mountain bike trails but not the other.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions each of which has been shared with my son. Please keep them coming.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 12:48 PM

Some of this is a repeat of posts above, but here goes. Love Vermont (especially skiing there) but one place where New York shines over it is the abundance of lakes. I might suggest heading up 81 to Ithaca and view the waterfalls in the area (Buttermilk, Taughannock, Robert Treman Park, Cornell University Campus – great waterfalls there believe it or not) then head to Watkins Glen Park all are easily accessible. Drive up Seneca Lake then towards Skaneateles stopping at Montezuma Wildlife refuge.
From there head towards Utica on Route 20 then north on 12 to 28 then passing a chain of lakes towards Saranac Lake (as J62 suggests) and/or Lake Placid. There are lots of scenic pull outs and small towns along the way. Stop in Blue Mountain Lake at the Adirondack museum. Once in Lake Placid area it’s not far to Ausable Chasm. From there you could head north towards Rouses Point and cross over the bridge then down through Vermont and Maybe New Hampshire or head South towards Lake George then into Vermont.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 08:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
cutting across VT from Bennington to Brattleboro. You have to go over Hogback mountain

One of my all time favorite scenic drives!
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by suze
cutting across VT from Bennington to Brattleboro. You have to go over Hogback mountain

One of my all time favorite scenic drives!
lol, Suze, one of my worst drives … about 3am on a drive from Columbus OH to NH home. Was supposed to share driving but I couldn't sleep first part of drive since my friend was a tailgater. I drive Hogback and gave up. Rumble strips probably only thing that kept me awake.

NY route sounds nice for an RV
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 04:30 PM

If he chooses New Hamshire, don’t miss Kancamangus hwy, scenic!
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 11:48 AM

Basie, I just saw a national geographic book at the library about USA road trips.. FYI!
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful responses. The thread was sent over to my son. They left yesterday for Susquehanna State Park or NP and from there should be hitting Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes and work their way to north east Maine for some whale watching. After that they will do what looks interesting.

Thank you once more and keep those great ideas coming in.