Palm Springs first week of March. ?’s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2022, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of spending a week in Palm Springs, but not sure if weather will be warm enough to swim, bike and hike. Hoping , first week of March will be in 70’s. Any suggestions of things to do .. museums, parks, cultural ideas? We will fly in from MI, so assume we need to rent car. Any hotels that are adult oriented and quieter? Thanks
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
March is a good time to go (except for Spring Break time), and the weather during the day should be anywhere from upper 60's to low 80's. Pools are heated, so yes, you can swim. And certainly bike and hike.

Don't have an answer re: hotels other than most are quieter (i.e. less kids) during the week.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My last visit was March '20 & I stay with friends so no help with hotels. But, for me, the temperatures couldn't have been more perfect.

Here are a couple of places that I enjoyed & wrote up:
https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/the...ert-california
https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/moo...ngs-california

Old Jan 19th, 2022, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Palm Springs, but we spent a few days there last October to attend a wedding. We stayed at the Triada (Marriott Autograph Collection) Hotel and would stay there again. It's an older property that has been renovated. There are a few rooms with terraces and some with kitchens. Two pools (one saltwater) and a fitness center. Because of Covid, the restaurant was closed, but breakfast (very good) was served in a patio area. We would have preferred to park our car ourselves, but the valet service was very prompt.

We had a great lunch at Spencer's and and dinner (prix fixe) at Farm. We went back to Farm for breakfast before leaving for home.

We took the tram and enjoyed a short hike at the top, but it might be too cold for me up there in early March. There is a large 'lodge' at the top if you just want to go up for the views and perhaps a bite to eat. We also visited the Air Museum.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reserve a car asap while they're still at semi-reasonable prices.

Vista Mirage Resort is a nice quiet spot with 2 pools and a good special rate on booking.com
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 09:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A few years ago we spent a few (January) days in PS, staying at the marvelous Andalusian Court Hotel - Andalusian Court Hotel | Hotels in Palm Springs, California (theandalusiancourt.com)

We really enjoyed walking around the town, the art museum, Sherman's Deli... and excursions, mainly to Joshua Tree NP, which is around an hour from "central" PS. I think early March would be ideal.

Hotel pool - Reportedly Lucy and Desi (with baby Desi Jr.) stayed in one of the apartments overlooking the pool before moving to their permanent house.

Couple of Joshua Tree pictures

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 12:52 PM

We stayed at LaQuinta. It was fine but not a central place where you walk out the door for activities. We did take a Jeep tour to Joshua Tree which we enjoyed. Had planned to go up the tram but ice at the top so didn’t go. I don’t play tennis, golf or pickle ball but I do sit at the pool well.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 03:08 PM

How about a drive to Borrego Springs for a surprising encounter with sculpture in the desert—

https://socalfieldtrips.com/discover...lleta-meadows/

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:04 PM

If you and your family are into PRO TENNIS, the week before BNP Pro Tennis Tournament in Palm Springs you can watch your favorite PRO tennis players practice and/or pre qualifying matches for upcoming tournament https://bnpparibasopen.com/tickets/s...ssion-tickets/

Another idea is if you and family are "active" a really cool "fun" short family hike can be done in the morning at https://hikingguy.com/hiking-trails/...e-palm-desert/
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 04:16 AM

I love PS and have been there many times, most recently last April when the weather was wonderful. I’m pretty active so I hiked a lot - around Joshua Tree, Painted Canyon in Mecca and in Palm Canyon. Twice I’ve soothed my aches with a couple of hours in a private mineral bath up in the hills. It’s magical to sit in perfect water and gaze at the mountains and I highly recommend it. I think I might give the Cactus to Clouds trail a shot when I’m there in April…it’s a magical place.

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/1...e3c0&source=p2

Old Jan 25th, 2022, 10:19 AM

It's been a while since I've visited Palm Springs, but "warm enough" is not usually a concern there as I recall.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 07:05 AM

We are here now in PS for the winter and so far it have been a year with almost picture perfect weather and temps. Even though mid-70's may not sound hot, by 10 AM it is already starting to feel almost too warm to play tennis and pickleball.

Be aware that each of the desert towns really has a different vibe, and aside from staying either in downtown Palm Springs itself (or maybe close to a shopping/dining street in Palm Desert called El Paseo, you will almost 100% want a car to do almost anything here-particularly for hiking or visiting places like Joshua Tree. And definitely rent a car early-you can always change or cancel it later. I always use a site called autoslash to track the prices once I have rented. You enter your current rental price once you have reserved and if a better price shows up before your trip, you can rent a different car and cancel the first one. I have saved a fair amount of money over the years using the site: https://www.autoslash.com/track

Also, if you are a Costco member their car rentals on their travel portal tend to have good prices most of the time.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 07:57 AM

March should be fine, in terms of weather. However that is part of the peak tourism time (maybe better with losing the LPGA event).

Smaller Palm Springs inns may be sold out or nearly so. Depending on your dates, give a look at Desert Hills Resort. It isn't a Party Hotel which you have to be careful about with the central pools.

https://www.desert-hills.com/

A condo rental at a golf community is another option but you will definitely need a car for that.

After I sold my condo, I used to like the Marriott Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 28th, 2022 at 08:03 AM.