Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Overnight 1/2way point Northeast Ohio to North Myrtle

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travel shortly from Youngstown area of Ohio to North Myrtle Beach. We'd like to split the trip into 2 parts, halfway-ish Friday, then the remaining Saturday for check in. Im looking for a SAFE, possibly interesting town to stop and get a hotel for the evening. The hitch is this...my husband is a very loud snorer, so we would need adjoining rooms or ideally a 2 bedrooms site. On my own research, I'm struggling to accomplish this without spending $500 on the stop. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Have you decided on a route to drive?
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking 77 to 74. It looks like the quickest route for us.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k_marie
Have you decided on a route to drive?
It looks like 77 to 74 will be the quickest route for us.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 01:57 PM

I don't understand how this could possibly cost you that much money. There are hundreds of chain hotels along the major interstates and generally their rates are closer to $100 a night per room. Sometimes higher if near a popular college town during a special week or something. Halfway puts you in SW VA or SE WV.

Beckley WV is about half way. I can think of some more interesting sites or places to see a bit off that main route but you probably don't want to spend extra time. Like Lewisburg WV or Abingdon VA or even Roanoke. They have an exhibition coal mine but they may not be of that much interest to you. but it's something.
https://beckley.org/coal-mine/

If you don't want the more expensive hotels, you shouldn't have to spend that much. Perhaps you don't really need adjoining rooms, for example, if that's the issue, that you can't find hotels that have that. It's just one night. For example, the Clarion Point hotel in Beckley is only about $100 a night per room on the Labor Day weekend, usually it's cheaper. The COmfort Inn is about $150.

Expedia claims the Quality Inn New River (in Fayetteville north of Beckley) has adjoining rooms and that hotel is less than $150 a night per room. They also claim the BW Plus in Beckley has adjoining room and their rooms start at $150 but they do have suites for about $165 which would have one room with sofabed and a sliding barrier between the living room and bedroom. If you can deal with a sofabed, that sounds most cost effective.

It is extremely rare even in big cities to find a hotel with a room with two real bedrooms. Even where I live in DC, only a few of the suite hotel type places have that (Residence Inn, etc).

I've head Fayetteville WV is a nice town, also, but it's just a nice small mountain town well situated for outdoors activities, I don't think it has any particular site of interest.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 03:17 AM

Everyone has said what I think. It is only an 11 hour drive anyway. I would go at least as far as Greensboro NC and have TONS of hotels. And you will have a good part of your arrival day AT the beach, not on the road getting there.
Go to Hotels.com and look at hotels. You can book and not pay until you get there. Most are cancellable up to day before.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 06:36 AM

You could spend the night in Mt. Airy, NC which is the fictional Mayberry where Andy Griffith grew up. https://www.visitmayberry.com/