one day stopover or drive by the finger lakes, ny

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2022, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In early May I need to drive some relatives from South America to the Rochester, NY area to pick up their daughter from a semester at Nazareth College in Pittsford, near Rochester. I do not want to spend hardly any time in the area, but I am thinking upon the return to Connecticut, possibly driving by the Finger Lakes region: maybe just stopping for a few hours or a little more at one picturesque area. My wife and I are elderly and can't doing any hiking but could admire the scenery in the area. I am looking for suggestions. Thank you.
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 12:28 PM

Letchworth State park is a bit out of the way, but ideal for what you describe. The park road parallels the gorge most of the way with numerous pull outs only needing to walk a level 50 - 100 feet for views. Couple of beautiful waterfalls, look it up.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 05:30 AM

In October we spent 2 nights in Skaneateles. I would recommend stopping one night at the beautifully renovated motel also managed and owned by the luxury Mirbeau property: Finger Lakes Lodging is across the street from Mirbeau, and it was a gem. All the rooms are decorated in beautiful, very comfy Adirondack style. The rates are very reasonable. Best, it was a nice walk down to the lakefront and shopping. There was a great Italian restaurant directly across the street, had dinner at Mirbeau Inn the other night, and drove out to the wineries in an afternoon. Skaneateles was the loveliest village amongst the others, and it is one of the easterly ones, near the Interstate. Should you not choose to stay over, it's still a lovely town for a stop and meal.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Try driving south on NY 14 from Geneva to Watkins Glen on the west side of Seneca Lake. Watkins Glen State park is nice. If you want to visit a great museum visit the Corning Museum of Glass.
An alternative to driving for the student or everyone else between Rochester and CT is the Amtrak Lake Shore Limited. The train splits near Albany with part going to Boston and the rest going into New York (Penn station).