NYC Hotels east of Central Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for accomodations in NYC for 2 adults and 2 children in June of 2021? Would prefer Mid town east or East of Central Park. Not looking for extravagant accomodations.....just clean and safe. Thanks in advance.
Old May 20th, 2021, 07:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The east side is a more expensive side of town.
"Not looking for extravagant accomodations.....just clean and safe."
That's tough in NYC but tougher on the east side.
Subway options are fewer as well.
Your description would match up to options in Long Island City. An easy subway route to Midtown.
I don't know of any inexpensive options on the east side of Manhattan.
On the west, look at the LaQuinta, just west of the park or the Hotel Newton on the UWS.
Old May 20th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can recommend the Hotel Benjamin. It is not too far from Central Park. There are very few hotels on the UES that are east of CP.

The Mark is across the street from Central Park, near the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but rooms are usually around $800 a night.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old May 20th, 2021, 08:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at the Millennium Hilton at One UN Plaza (1st Ave) and 44th Street. It's about as far east as you can go. Our room was large and reasonably priced but it was long ago.

We also stayed at the W, near the above mentioned Benjamin, but the rooms were tiny.

Hotels on the UES near the park tend to be very expensive and not for mere mortals.
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The earlier in June the better for pricing.

The Carvi looks like a good bargain.
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old May 20th, 2021, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your insight and suggestions!
Old May 20th, 2021, 12:50 PM

I have traveled to NYC often for work and for visiting friends. Last time was Sept 2019 and I enjoyed this hotel. More on the basic side but clean, quiet and very convenient right across from Rockefeller Plaza.

Radisson Hotel New York Midtown-Fifth Avenue (at 51st St)
25 West 51st Street, New York, NY 10019, United States of America
Old May 20th, 2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
I stayed at the Millennium Hilton at One UN Plaza (1st Ave) and 44th Street. It's about as far east as you can go. Our room was large and reasonably priced but it was long ago.

We also stayed at the W, near the above mentioned Benjamin, but the rooms were tiny.

Hotels on the UES near the park tend to be very expensive and not for mere mortals.
Curious what is reasonable price (about) in this case? What price range per night in general if talking about east side in example?
Old May 20th, 2021, 11:44 PM

Park lane hotel is also a very good option if you see it.
Old May 21st, 2021, 02:14 AM

I wonder about their budget also. And pay attention to the note from Starrs that subway options are not as numerous.
Old May 21st, 2021, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by devops7954
Curious what is reasonable price (about) in this case? What price range per night in general if talking about east side in example?
I honestly can't remember, but probably in the low $200. It was a Priceline bid in January or February, when prices are at their lowest. Before we moved to the city, my wife and I would sometimes stay in a hotel after the opera rather than return to our house in Connecticut.
Old May 21st, 2021, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gretchen
I wonder about their budget also. And pay attention to the note from Starrs that subway options are not as numerous.
Things have improved with the opening of the 2nd Ave subway. The Q train snakes around to the west as far as Times Square before heading back to Union Square and on to Brooklyn. Staying in midtown east the shuttle from Grand Central connects to the west side, as does the 7 train. And there's our old standby, the Lex.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure why you are fixed on the East side but if you would consider a position [not that far] west of of Central Park the Beacon is quite reasonable [for NYC], has rooms/suits of various sized which could be useful for a family and even cooking facilities and a fridge in every room which might also appeal. There's a subway just down the street and a bus route going from west to east a couple of blocks north which goes all the way across town. Several fodorites have stayed there and I would certainly stay there again.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 02:35 PM

There are several hotels Midtown East that are what I consider reasonable for NY, but sometimes people have unrealistic ideas about hotel costs, so hard to say. Most hotels east of 5th Ave are in midtown area, there are only a couple luxury ones east of Central Park that I know of. Also, a lot of NY hotel rooms are small, they aren't possible for four people.

Depending on what the expectations are, BW Plus Hospitality House Suites would be great for the room (an apt with queen bed and sofa bed for maybe $350 a night?). The Carvi HOtel is cheap (I know nothing about it ) and the Fifty Hotel and Suites by Affinity is pretty cheap also (2 queen beds for maybe $250). It's on E 50th near 3rd Ave. The Fitzpatrick Manhattan isn't too far from Bloomingdale's and has suite rooms (queen bed and sofa bed) for about $300 a night. A friend of mine likes the Roger Smith and it is very reasonable. It has king suite rooms (kind bed plus sofa bed) for only about $250 a night. It's at Lexington and 47th St. I like its more traditional decor, also, you can't find that much any more.

https://www.rogersmith.com/neighborhood

rates will vary obviously depending on what dates we are talking about, I'm sure, I just checked some right mid-June on a weekday for curiosity.

If you really just want cheap and "clean" and safe, the Pod 51 hotel is as cheap as you'll get probably in that area and they do have rooms with two doubles (but that will be about the size of the room). But their website won't accept bookings right now so not sure what's up with that. It's more like a hostel but is a good location on 51st near 3rd.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 01:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
The furthest east I've stayed is the Hilton on 6th. It's a huge conference hotel and you can (or could) get great AAA rates on weekends. I think half my plane from Atlanta was at check-in on one trip, the AAA rates were so good. It's near Rockefeller Center (which I liked) and near one of our offices (but I never visited). I thought all the rooms were big (as is often the case with conference hotels) but on a Priceline "win" I got a tiny room barely large enough for the queen bed. Years ago the Honors Lounge was high up with a view of Central Park. I stopped staying there when they moved it to the first floor. I loved the little deli on a side street and got our pre-theater meals there on almost every visit while the others rested after a long day of sight-seeing and before a Broadway show. I hated the "long blocks" walk to theaters and prefer closer to shows, but a lot of people hate Midtown - which I absolutely love. Years ago (1990) we stayed at the Grand Hyatt and hated the gaudiness of it, but did like being close to Grand Central Station. But again, those long block walks back after shows. Brutal during cold January winds. But then again, the subway platforms are brutal with heat in the middle of the summer, so using buses instead of subways would be good option. It just depends on why you are going and what your budget is.

One day I would love to swim in this pool with this view -
https://www.mandarinoriental.com/new...tan/luxury-spa
But that's on the west side of the park anyway.
Old May 24th, 2021, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses! My son and his family decided on the Fitzgerald. The location was important because it was close to one of his sisters who has a son close to the same ages as his two, yet also reasonably close to his other sister. You all are great. As an aside, 5/6 years ago, we went to Thailand. When we were in Bankok I posted a question to a forum asking if anyone knew of a laundry close to our hotel. Within 5 min. someone responded giving very precise directions, and led us to a great little laundry service less than 2 blocks away from us!! Loved it!!
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:03 PM

The Fitzpatrick? I’ve stayed at both of their Manhattan locations and would return. Lovely staff and very convenient to Grand Central.