My family and I midyear vacation

Old Nov 14th, 2022, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family and I midyear vacation

Hello again everyone,
My family and I are planning to spend the midear vacation in USA, from January 25 to February 10.
we think we can drive from JFK, New York, up to prince Edwards Island in Canada, and back,.
Any suggestions and advise during this time of the year, for us.
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 03:20 AM

It's in the heart of winter with possibly terrible driving conditions.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 03:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree, why would you do that in winter? Ever optimistic google says you can drive it (797 miles) in 13 hours, but that means four days of non-stop driving just to get there and back. What are you proposing to do on the way?

Where are you coming from? Does it have to be JFK instead of a Canadian airport? If I were headed to PEI I would want to take the train from Montreal to Halifax at least one way.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

We are coming from Cairo, Egypt, and we wish to pass by New Hampshire on our way.
thanks in advance
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 07:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gohadoc
We are coming from Cairo, Egypt, and we wish to pass by New Hampshire on our way.
thanks in advance
This is not a good plan. This is the deepest part of winter and serious snow can be expected. I would NOT be planning a driving trip though New England, northern New York, or PIE at that time of year. Of course, things could be just fine -- but very likely not. Your best bet would be to visit major cities and use trains and/or planes to travel from place to place.

Old Nov 14th, 2022, 09:53 AM

All you would see would be snow and trees without leaves. I'd wait until spring. Or as mentioned fly into Montreal and take the train to Halifax. You could stop off in Quebec City and enjoy that city which very French.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 11:16 AM

"we wish to pass by New Hampshire on our way"

Why? What are you hoping to see? If you live in Cairo you are going to freeze in the northeastern US/Canada in Jan/Feb.
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

I see,
the problem is, since 2015 till 2019, we used to visit USA during the summer holidays, then Covid-19’s hit, and my daughters went through their final medical school years, next January 15 they will finish their final exams, and we wish to celebrate with them this happy relief, and comfort.
but thanks for your sincere advice.
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 02:03 AM

I have seen your other threads for planning those trips. This will not be a good plan or even a safe one. There is the REAL possibility of icy roads and heavy snow which is drivng conditions you are not familiar with.
I think you have been to our east coast states like Virginia.
Why don't you fly to the west coast and tour around Los Angeles and San Diego. Or Florida
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 04:00 AM

As has been mentioned, it is winter where you want to travel. If you really want to hit New Hampshire and Prince Edward Island, consider flying to Manchester NH and arranging ground transportation to one of the areas that has lodging for skiers, like Franconia Notch. Spend a couple of days, then fly to Canada and use the train as suggested.

Not only are driving conditions likely to be bad, but places that depend on summer tourism are likely to be sleepy. Many of the choices for lodging and dining will be closed. Be sure to have that nailed down ahead of the trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 05:11 AM

There are two good ways to visit the northeast of North America in the dead of winter.

One is to visit towns, using planes or trains to connect them - New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City (I would add Ottawa). Halifax if you take the train from Montreal.

The other is to visit winter sports resorts.

Driving yourself around is a recipe for misery at best and disaster at worst.

There is a great deal of the US that is fine to visit in winter.
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 08:19 AM

I live in New Hampshire and I'd never dream of driving that distance in the dead of winter.
Old Nov 15th, 2022, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

I see
thank
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 01:25 AM

The road trip might be fine in summer but not in winter but as pointed out, you could have a nice winter trip to New England but it depends on your interests. A ski resort with tubing might be fun if you want a snow experience. We could have a dry, sunny day in January which would make a beautiful drive north on I93 thru the White Mountains. Interstate travel might be ok as long as you can stay an extra day someplace if there's a snow storm. City area however might take an additional day for sidewalk plowing amd smow removal.
Boston is an international airport and so is Portland ME. Portland is just as close to the White Mountains as Boston but Boston north would be on interstate whereas driving might be a bit trickier from Portland. If you rent a car get either front wheel drive, all wheel or 4 wheel. Traction will be better but you still need to go slow if roads are slippery.

is there a reason for your original plan to cover so much distance? Also, what are your interests? If you want an outdoor winter experience it could be a lot of fun but if you want a road trip to,sightsee via car, it's not a great idea.
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfrostnh
The road trip might be fine in summer but not in winter but as pointed out, you could have a nice winter trip to New England but it depends on your interests. A ski resort with tubing might be fun if you want a snow experience. We could have a dry, sunny day in January which would make a beautiful drive north on I93 thru the White Mountains. Interstate travel might be ok as long as you can stay an extra day someplace if there's a snow storm. City area however might take an additional day for sidewalk plowing amd smow removal.
Boston is an international airport and so is Portland ME. Portland is just as close to the White Mountains as Boston but Boston north would be on interstate whereas driving might be a bit trickier from Portland. If you rent a car get either front wheel drive, all wheel or 4 wheel. Traction will be better but you still need to go slow if roads are slippery.

is there a reason for your original plan to cover so much distance? Also, what are your interests? If you want an outdoor winter experience it could be a lot of fun but if you want a road trip to,sightsee via car, it's not a great idea.
I appreciate your sincere advise.
Thanks
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 08:54 AM

Please look at what is happening right now in upstate NY and consider how you would feel about dealing with weather like that if it occurred during your trip. Would being stranded somewhere be an interesting adventure or a miserable experience?
We lived near Boston for a few years and had family in Vermont, PA, Conn, and NY for many years. We always planned winter trips with the idea that we could, and would, cancel last minute if things went bad weather wise. We were also not doing trips as sight seeing road trips, only going directly from one place to another to visit and stay. We always traveled with thermo type sleeping bags, food and thermoses of hot liquids. Most of the time, things went fine, but when an accident occurred, we were stuck overnight on a highway in an ice storm. We were so glad we had prepared for an emergency. Another time a freak, unexpected snow had roads close. Hotels get booked up quickly and we were lucky we knew of one where we got the last room.
So, if you do this, be well prepared. Be prepared to change plans last minute. Have charged cell phones. Have food, hot drinks, soups, etc. Have lists of hotels along the way. Then be happy if none of the prep is needed,
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

I see and understand
Thanks
Old Dec 25th, 2022, 04:16 AM

Hope you are looking at our weather situation right now and have come up with a better trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 06:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you ever driven in snow and ice or a blizzard?

Absolutely no way would I do that, at that time of year! I don't think it is realistic or practical.

(lived in the New England states for many years)
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -