Moving to Colorado within the next year

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2022, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!!! I need help so I can better research specific CO cities. Can anyone please provide suggestions about which Colorado cities have the following:
1. Very mild winter, very little snow or none
2. Close activities and shopping
3. Weather I am ok with it being really hot
4. Some or all of the following arts, music, and retailers like BJ's or Costco
5. Decent cost of living, taxes, homes for sale
6. People Diversity
7. Low crime areas
8. Before I forget my number #1 lake, beaches, pools. I have no little ones, but I love swimming.

Thank you in advance for all your tips, suggestions, and advise.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 04:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Number 1 for Colorado?
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Number 1 for Colorado?
My question too . . . If my number 1 requirement was no or very little snow and mild winters, Colorado wouldn't even be on my radar.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 02:10 AM

Oh come on people. WE can just move on. Nothing to see here.
But of course the OP SHOULD really visit Colorado before moving there
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 05:49 AM

mrstibbs6972 - You can start your research on the following website: City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more Click your way through to Colorado then the particular cities/towns that might interest you. You'll find tons of general demographic data on each city that will answer all the questions on your list except, perhaps, #8. Since item #1 and #3 on your list are about weather (there's some limited weather data on City-Data) if you want more detailed weather info for any of the cities/towns that interest you go to www.weatherbas.com and click your way through to Colorado then the city/town.

Once you have narrowed down your choices you can do a few internet searches using such topics as "number of lakes near NAME OF TOWN", "Crime Rate NAME OF TOWN", etc. You can also use the store locator function on the COSTCO and BJ's websites to find if there are stores near the towns that interest you.

Lastly, as one of the other responders mentioned, you should plan on visiting Colorado before actually moving there. You might want to schedule several short trips during different times of the year so you get a feel for what the weather is like in all four seasons. As others have pointed out, Colorado can be cold and snowy during the winter, especially in the more mountainous parts of the state.

Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:15 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Assuming this is a serious post, I live in Colorado and the only place I can think of that meets most of your criteria is Grand Junction/Fruita, which is very near the border with Utah.

And it's damn hot there in the summer. A few nearby lakes and two community pools.

I don't know what you consider decent, but the cost of living here in Colorado is beginning to feel like California thanks to the droves of people who have moved here in the last five years. Grand Junction and Fruita are no exception.

That area is also Lauren Boebert country, so the diversity might be a bit lacking.

Last edited by Melnq8; Feb 9th, 2022 at 06:18 AM.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:32 AM

Pueblo only gets 25" of snow and that is good for Colorado. It also has a relatively low cost of living but it's not a very attractive town.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Pueblo is also crime central.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 08:05 AM

Since you want beaches and do not mind heat, would not some more coastal areas better suit you?
Just throwing this out: Delaware, New Jersey, North Carolina.
While most of the state is not diverse, the city of Columbia, South Carolina is, housing is cheap by comparison with places in the North, theater and arts there are really great and beaches are an easy drive. It is very hot in Summer, but usually not so hot in late evenings.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 09:01 AM

What is bringing you to Colorado specifically? That might help people give you some better advice. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like CO is a great fit for you - and that's not meant to be an insult to you or to Colorado, it just looks like a mismatch.

There are lakes in Colorado, but most are mountain lakes - and living by those would mean that you would have to deal with snow. Also, mountain communities tend to be smaller, so if you want the diversity, arts, various activities and shopping, you'll need to be in more urban areas - or at least a small city. Urban areas will have things like community pools where you can swim, but lakes will be farther away. If you want to avoid heavy snow, you'll need to go south and stay out of the mountains. Pueblo is a small city with decent weather - snowfall is measured in inches rather than feet, summers are warm - and there are some reservoirs nearby, so perhaps some decent options for swimming. Unfortunately, the crime rates in Pueblo are really high. Denver has the activities, shopping, arts, and is reasonably diverse - but it can also get very cold and snowy there, and the price of housing is on the high side. It just looks like it will be hard to find something in Colorado that meets more than a couple of your criteria.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 12:35 PM

I also thought of Grand Junction but why does it have to be in Colorado?
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 05:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Having lived in Colorado myself, I think you're fantasizing. You can probably find 2 & 4, and maybe 6, but all the rest, no way. At least not just in one city.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the Fodor's travel forums and the US board! Lots of smart people here but more information from you would be helpful. Not more on your wish list (that's enough -lol) but why behind all this, if you are willing to say.

Especially because you have chosen to move to a state that is know for the mountains, snow, beautiful winters... but you want a mild climate with no snow. Huh?

Have you considered California? That ticks a lot more of the boxes on your list. Neither state is cheap.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 10:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The town in Colorado that comes to mind for swimming is Glenwood Springs. It has the worlds largest hot spring fed swimming pool. I did once see someone swimming in it in December. It is my favorite stop on the Amtrak California Zephyr.
There are several town/cities in Oregon that tick most of your boxes.
Welcome to Fodors!
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 11:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Colorado is not known for its lakes. We have some gorgeous mountain lakes, like Grand Lake, but in general we don't have a 'lake culture' here.

I agree that California might be a better fit, if you want water and a very mild winter with little to no snow.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:10 PM

As someone who has lived in CO for over 40 years and chose to retirement here I find it MY ideal place but not for everyone.

1. Very mild winter, very little snow or none That is going to be a tough in Colorado. Denver averages about 60" a year and I think that is about the same as Chicago. Although our snow averages for the past few winters have been low. I do like the summer that arevery low in humidity and rarely over 90 degrees. There are some areas like Grand Junction that are low in snow and mild in winter because of weather patterns
2. Close activities and shopping Not sure what you want? The major metro areas have greater shopping with Costco and Sams Clubs.
3. Weather I am ok with it being really hot. Hot is generally not problem in CO especially with super low humidity.
4. Some or all of the following arts, music, and retailers like BJ's or Costco Denver is your best bet for arts but many of the mountain have summer art program but not year around. The college towns of Boulder and Ft Collin will have an active art programs. Ft. Collin more than once has hit the list of great places to retirement.
5. Decent cost of living, taxes, homes for sale. That is a tough one. Years ago we were good but recently has seen a big jump in real estate forced by some of the 100,000 annual folks moving in. However, our property is quite low.
6. People Diversity That is a coin flip depending on where you are. Most of the metro areas are decent but rural is still pretty white.
7. Low crime areas Like any area some areas have a problems and others do not. Major cities have the majority of the problems.
8. Before I forget my number #1 lake, beaches, pools. I have no little ones, but I love swimming. Colorado loses in that area. We have a few mountain lakes and some big dams but nothing like the mid-west. But not very swimable in summer because most of the water was snow the week before. We lived on the shores of Lake Michigan prior to moving to Colorado and that was terrific about four months of the year. We do miss Lake Michigan.

For my guessing CO is about a 50/50 match for you. I think it is a great state.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 01:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OP posted on the 8th and hasn't been back. Doubt it was a serious query