Los Angeles to Trinidad

Search

Los Angeles to Trinidad

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles to Trinidad

The drive from LA to Trinidad is roughly 10 hours.

I'd like to take some leisurely stops and will most likely spend the night in Berkeley to see family.

From there, it will be a girls' trip to my sister's new farmhouse in the forest.

It looks like it's deep in the forest!

Any outdoor stops, scenic routes and vegan restaurants you can recommend? Have not yet been anywhere north of Jenner.
I usually fly to SFO or Santa Rosa Airport but with the pandemic I'm excited to drive.

Completely open to all suggestions. Thank you!
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 12:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Mention of Jenner seems to indicate you want to stick to the coast/scenic route. LA fast to > Berkeley using I-5 then up the coast via hwy 1/101 takes a good deal longer than 10 hours - more likely close to 14+ hours.

(Even just the straightforward /fastest route I-5 and 101 takes more than 11 hours)

Where to stop etc. depends on if you plan on doing this trek with just the one over night in Berkeley or if you want to stop over somewhere in addition on the way north. Because the East Bay to Trinidad sticking to hwy1 then 101 from Leggett is an 8 hour drive without any breaks/stops.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 01:54 PM

If you want to avoid taking I-5 to Berkeley (I hate that route), I would plan for a half-way break in San Luis Obispo, vegan meal at Big Sky Cafe. By the way, the drive time is only about 30 minutes more using 101, maybe less depending on where you leave from in LA area.
https://downtownslo.com/go/big-sky-cafe
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 02:19 PM

I'd definitely take 101 up from LA if you have the time -- but it will add about an hour (the total difference is only about 50 miles but I-5 is a higher speed route) Partly depends on where in LA you are starting from/time of day/traffic issues in the LA Basin.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 02:54 PM

The difference may well be closer to 30 miles and 30 minutes, not only does it depend on where you leave from and your end point in Berkeley, but also time of day and construction along the route. But I'm sure you know how to use Google Maps to do your comparisons.

My main reason for posting was to recommend Big Sky Cafe. I know that there is also Bliss Cafe for vegan, but never have made it there.

If you decide to go via 101, I like Margo Dodd Park/Dinosaur Caves for a potty break/ leg stretch in the Shell Beach area. Lots of parking and easy freeway access for short walk with ocean cliff top views. One thing to be aware of is that many of the freeway rest stops are closed for repairs.

I have done that drive between LA and the Bay Area more times than I can shake a stick at with family up there since the "60s, and more so when I moved back to LA in the mid-70s. Plus annual trips to the Central Coast for wine-tasting, golf or birding. That stretch between Morro Bay and SLO was always a handy spot for meeting half way between the Bay Area and LA.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 27th, 2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

I did the GPS from LA to Trinidad and didn't account for the stop in Berkeley or any other stops. I was thinking of spending the night in either Ojai or Santa Barbara, maybe 2-3 nights. I'm pretty flexible with time and also on a hunt for a vegan Danish pastry in Solvang!

Lots of great ideas, thanks! When I first moved to LA I lived with family, then with roommates, then finally my very own Bachelorette. It did not have a kitchen but I had a huge triple door fridge and freezer. Anyway, my landlord lived in Morro Bay and he always spoke about his love for the place so I might make a stop. It'll be sometime in August or thereafter as I do not want to be on the road for the Tour de France.

It's coming up!!

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 06:23 AM

I am a big fan of Morro Bay also, last time I stopped in at this Palestinean Restaurant which has Vegan Baklava as well as selected mains and sides.

https://grapeleafmorrobay.com/menu/

There are some less well known places to walk around Morro Bay, including the Elfin Forest. Better known is Spooner's Cove and the Bluff Trail in Montana de Oro State Park.

I much prefer Morro Bay to Santa Barbara as an overnight stop, lots of motels to choose from. And of course the cute sea otters around the harbor.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mlgb. Where do you go golfing and birding? I've decided to spend a couple of nights in Morro Bay.

Santa Barbara is my happy place and have spent a good amount of time there both as day trips and weekends away from LA. I'll at least stop for lunch unless I spend the night in Ojai.

I'll be coming from the PCH.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 07:54 AM

The public golf course at Montana de Oro SP in Morro Bay is wonderful if you can get on. A poor man's Pebble Beach.

For birding, Montana de Oro has some good spots, including the Bluff Trail, Spooner's Cove and the Islay campground. It's also worth going out to the rock, and the Elfin Forest.

Other golf courses near Lompoc include the course at Vandenberg (Marshalia), the difficult course at La Purisima, Monarch Dunes, and Blacklake (don't care for that one) and the courses at Alisal.
The courses around Santa Barbara were always either too expensive or too hard to get a tee time.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 01:01 PM

Just to clarify, Poor Man's Pebble Beach is the golf course at Morro Bay State Park. There is no golf course at Montana de Oro.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AustinTraveler
Just to clarify, Poor Man's Pebble Beach is the golf course at Morro Bay State Park. There is no golf course at Montana de Oro.
Yes, you are right. Have you played there?
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb
Yes, you are right. Have you played there?
No, I don't play golf but I live close by so just thought I would clarify. It is a beautiful course. Also, if you drive up the road past the clubhouse, you come to a parking area where you can hike just a quarter mile or so up Black Hill for the most awesome view of Morro Bay and the rock.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Great tip for non golfers, that view of the spit and Rock from the course is amazing. The Bayside Cafe near at the south end is pretty good too.

Old Jul 8th, 2022, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info about Morro Bay! I'm not a golfer either but the few times I've gone to a range and on a course I actually had fun.

Looks like I will be passing through Avenue of the Giants. It reminds me of the Petrified Forest in Sonoma. I don't drive it at night as I lose reception there but it's gorgeous during the day. Is there another way or should I not skip it for its scenery?
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 07:06 AM

Avenue of the giants runs parallel to 101 …. And should NOT be missed, take the first exit from 101 and stay on the Avenue as long/far as you can then jump back on 101 when you feel you’ve seen enough. I usually drive the full distance but you can adjust based on how you’re doing time wise
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj! I'm glad to hear that about Avenue of the Giants. I'll make sure to go during the day.

I'd love to hear suggestions around Arcata and Trinidad if you have any as that is where we will be most of the time.