Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Great trip to Milwaukee! Thanks for the advice. Trip report.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posting for anyone making a first visit to Milwaukee and looking for ideas -- thanks to prior posters and especially nycuwsapt and bjl for specific help with my trip.

We visited Friday evening to Sunday mid-day (July).

Checked in to our hotel downtown -- Saint Kate's, which we recommend -- and left for an early Friday fish fry dinner at Kegel's Inn, which our Uber driver and hotel front desk said said is a very typical Milwaukee event. Kegel's takes reservations (I had made reservations everywhere possible since our time was limited). From Kegel's we went to the Brewer's baseball game at what is supposed to be called American Family Field but everyone calls Miller Field. Great, fun game vs. the Rockies, with affordable good seats and avid and friendly fans all around. We got lucky and saw two Brewer's home runs so got to see the mascot slide down the slide high in the stands. Got to watch the stadium domed roof close.

Saturday morning we took nycuwsapt's good advice and had breakfast at Fool's Errand in the Third Ward -- excellent -- before visiting various Milwaukee locations and attractions, such as:

1. the Mitchell Domes -- three glassed-in large domes with horticulture of different types. One contains desert plant life, and one tropical rainforest-type flora. They were interesting and worth the visit.
2. the Pabst Mansion -- the restored family home of the Pabst family. Took a guided group tour, which lasts an hour.
3. the Milwaukee Art Museum on the lakefront. We spent several hours in this modern, white, airy museum with a great view of the lake and on this day, the air show.
4. the Public Markets in the Third Ward; a collection of small food shops, bars, eateries, etc. sort of reminiscent of a smaller and newer Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia
5. Tour of the Lakefront Brewery -- amusing, irreverently led by a guide whose explicit language was well-suited to the bachelor parties that were also on the tour (just a warning to those planning a visit with young children)

Dinner was at the Harbor House restaurant on the lake and was excellent.

Sunday we had another delicious breakfast in the Third Ward, at Sweet Diner. They don't take reservations so expect a bit of a wait, it's a popular place. Then we headed for the airport.

Milwaukee is a city on the water, which is nice, and full of friendly people. We cancelled our rental car and got around beautifully using Uber; the drivers were eager to tell us about Milwaukee. The only traffic holdups we experienced were when a boat on the river caused traffic to stop while a bridge was raised.

We had a good time in Milwaukee, which exceeded our expectations. It is a city of BEER, BEER, BEER! The prominent names are beer family names. A Milwaukee Bloody Mary comes with a glass of beer as a chaser. The city's basketball stadium decided to change the brand of beer available from one brand to another and the newspaper reported the change in an article on page 2. It is also a city of CHEESE! And sausage. A Milwaukee breakfast omelet is made with sausage and fried cheese curds. We indulged in the local offerings and I'm pretty sure we gained a couple of pounds and had fun doing it.

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 09:36 AM
Adminstrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, it would appear that only destination forums (Europe, USA, etc) have the Trip Report tag option
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:42 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to US Forum and tagged for Wisconsin
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 01:28 PM
bjl

Thanks for posting about your trip, Bakerstreet. Makes me want to be a tourist in my own town. I'm glad it was a good trip.