Girl's trip, looking for inspiration

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2022, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

Vague, I know. I've tagged this with a few random states, but we're certainly not limited to these.

Two longtime girlfriends looking for a long weekend away in June. One lives in CA one lives in CO. Will probably both fly and meet up someplace, but one flying and one driving if within a 4-6 hour range a possibility too. One likes warm weather, the other not-so-much. One outdoorsy, the other not-so-much. Both dislike crowds.

Looking for a place to unplug and catch up. Not into fancy meals, massages or spas, but more of a mid-range quiet place to take in a few sights and relax.

Past meet ups over the past 25 years have included Las Vegas, San Diego, Sedona/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon, CA wine region, Boulder/Front Range/Estes Park (CO).

We'd considered New Mexico (Taos/Santa Fe/ABQ), and its still a possibility, but June would not be my preferred time to visit.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 09:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Broken record playing...

I'd look at the Columbia River Gorge, maybe with a base in Hood River or possibly at McMenamins Edgefield - .Edgefield Hotel - McMenamins . Both are very convenient to PDX airport (15 minutes for the Edgefield, around an hour for Hood River) and in June the weather ought to be just fine, with Hood River probably being a little warmer than Troutdale but not much in it.

There's wine tasting, the Hood River "fruit loop," visits to waterfalls along the Gorge walls (note access restricted with new entry rules, but manageable) and if you want an art fix, the Maryhill Museum of Art, in Maryhill, around 45 minutes east of Hood River, is a terrific destination for a day trip. Of course Portland itself and Mount Hood are both within easy day-trip range if you so choose. That's one of the real beauties of the area - there's remarkable variety within a very compact region. Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/Cub7MLPxz84etXE98
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prescott, AZ has an attractive and vibrant downtown square with art galleries and restaurants. There are three museums including the Phippen Art Museum. Horseback riding is popular in the area and the town claims it has the oldest rodeo in the world. Matt’s Saloon is semi-famous. On the west side of town is a national forest with trails through towering ponderosa pines. It has a great climate due to both its elevation and latitude. Lots of sun year-round and it doesn’t get hot.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For something completely different, how about St Louis? Lots to do and see, including long walks in very large parks.

https://tourscanner.com/blog/things-...ouis-missouri/
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Mel, I just posted on your Portugal thread--you're gonna think I'm stalkin' ya'! Just another pair of ideas here, the first of which would not only offer an enjoyable locale but would also get you two an additional 30 cents per dollar in budget--Vancouver Island.
Its west coast is outstanding. Tofino and Ucluelet (aka Ukee) would be our choices. One could always see our TR here.
How about Utah?
Crowds can be crazy in both of the above, of course it all depends on timing.
Bon Chance!
I am done. the suggestions
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Flights to ABQ are a bit more of a hassle typically requiring a connection, whereas Salt Lake City has good nonstop service from California.

Old Apr 28th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
mel, don't know where in CA your friend lives, but as a fellow landlocked Coloradoan I think a coastal trip would be perfect. I'm going with Gardyloo pacific NW. You could go west of Portland to the beautiful coast of instead of east. Cannon Beach and south is all excellent, to my way of thinking.

There's also central CA, like Cambria. You could fly direct DIA-San Luis Obispo.

I agree with zebec about the west coast of Vancouver Island, but probably too many logistics for a long weekend. Victoria is nice.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 07:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
coast coast coast

Either 1) somewhere on the Monterey Peninsula (Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove) . . . but it may be hard to find accommodations at this late date or 2) in northern California (Mendocino/Ferndale) or 3) the Oregon coast. Or - the Hood River Valley as Gardyloo suggests.
Old Apr 28th, 2022, 08:25 PM

The California Coast is often June gloomy..fogged in. Great if you like cool weather.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic suggestions, thank you!

Gardyloo - I've been to Columbia River Gorge and Hood River - you helped me plan our trip there back in 2016. But...it was on the table for a girls trip a few years back that never materialized, so thanks for the reminder!

zebec - Vancouver Island is also on my short list, but for a long trip with my spouse. I'll be sure to pick your brains when I get around to planning a trip there.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 11:29 AM

Living in California it’s nice to go somewhere else for a long weekend. Washington and Oregon both sound good. I would like to go back to. https://pointnopointresort.com/ and https://www.butchartgardens.com/ both are on Victoria Island.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 12:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe someplace completely different like Ashland - great little town, all the theater - and only maybe 15 miles from the airport in Medford.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

You've all given me a lot to think about, thank you. Must get busy researching.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 01:34 PM

Sorry my post should be Vancouver Island. The city of Victoria is really pretty.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 02:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I propose the Oregon coast with a stay at the absolutely charming & offbeat Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport. I'm going to keep posting my report until I convince someone!

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/roa...ia-beach-hotel

Old Apr 30th, 2022, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MmePerdu - I'll take a look at your report.