Exploring Sarasota as retirement option

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My significant other and I are going to do an overnight in Sarasota (in mid-February) just to get a quick feel for the place to see if we can easily check it off the list of places to rent/buy for retirement or whether we want to keep it on the list. If you were going to show someone around with this interest, where would you go? Would love thoughts on beaches, public golf course(s), walkable shops and restaurants. We are super active...runners, golf, biking, racket sports. We love good wine and beer. Enjoy poking around in fun shops with eclectic offerings. We will have a car so can drive around. Would love ideas on what to check out. Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 06:53 AM

A poster on the former Lonely Planet USA forum checked out several Florida towns and cities and determined that Sarasota was the one for him, so he moved there. They say you need to live in a place a few months before deciding to relocate there. Sarasota features a vibrant downtown with an equally vibrant bookstore and cafe culture. Attractions include the Selby Botanical Gardens (with 6,000 orchids), Ringling Museum of Art, Circus Museum, and Towles Court Artist Colony. Nearby are lovely powdery white-sand beaches (such as South Lido Park Beach). Bicycle or walk on the Legacy Trail to Venice. Take a wildlife cruise and view dolphins and manatees. There are many nature preserves in the Sarasota County.

Old Jan 14th, 2022, 10:17 AM

I don't think special attractions are of that much importance when contemplating a move. As tourist, sure you want to go to Ringling Museum, but that's not as important for what you want to do. I'd just drive around along the keys, and check out the downtown area and St Armands Circle, Burns District, etc. explore some nature activities.

THey have a neat classic car museum not too far away north, if you have extra time. It's right near the Ringling museum of art.

I think you can presume you will have golf courses in Florida, I don't think you need to spend your time looking at golf courses myself. Of course you are the golfer, not me, so if you want to check them out, go ahead. Just Google sarasota golf courses and you'll find a couple public ones. eg

https://www.windtreegolf.com/public-...asota-florida/
Old Jan 14th, 2022, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Siesta Key Beach is certainly one of the world's greatest. Parking can be tough. Walk down past the point then cut in and have lunch at the Daiquiri Deck or the Siesta Key Oyster Bar (SKOB). Beware live music at the latter.

As mentioned above, St Armand's Circle has small shops and restaurants. Burn's district is picturesque and has a arthouse cinema.

Myakka River State Park is a favorite spot. https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ver-state-park