Driving Uhaul from Michigan to Tampa, FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am moving in a week from Grand Rapids, MI to just north of Tampa, FL. I will be driving a 20' UHaul truck and towing a car transport with my SUV on it. I am an older woman, making this trip alone in the dead of winter so I am a little nervous driving through major cities and possible snow in mountains. The best route seems to be to go through Indianapolis, IN, Louisville, KY, Nashville, TN, and Atlanta, GA. Besides trying to avoid hitting any of these cities during rush hour, does anybody have any suggestions or know if I will have to worry about snow in the mountains?

Old Jan 29th, 2021, 11:14 AM
J62

You're not crossing mountains until Chattanooga area, and that is quite far south. If there is a major snow storm you'd be driving through then perhaps you'd want to pause to let it pass. Be sure to give your schedule some wiggle room in case you need to take an extra day.

If there is no active snow storm then then I see no issues with winter driving. You'd also need to pay attention to lake effect storms through MI and northern IN., but most days it should be just fine.

As for the route, from GR to Indy is along US 31 which can be pokey as you pass through towns, IIRC. After Indy it's interstate all the way which is good.

a couple other thoughts.
Towing a trailer is a learned skill. Are you comfortable doing that? Not just highway, but parking, backing up, gas stations with small islands, taking turns in towns, etc?

Are you able to either disconnect the trailer, or take the RV off the trailer when you stop for the day. This would let you drive to a store, restaurant, etc en-route without having the trailer in tow every mile.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to be a negative nancy but there is a company called 1-800-pack-rat. They deliver this cargo box to your house, you fill it, then a truck picks it up and moves it to your destination. We had friends that used them for the move to Oregon. I was so surprised at what that thing held. I think the 20 foot truck is bad enough but the car hauler is another story. Best of luck to you.
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

I have driven a truck, pulling a car hauler before but it was just a 4 hour drive from Ohio to Michigan. I had driven that route many times before, visiting my son, so I knew what gas stations to use, where to stop to eat where I could easily get in and out, etc., I didn't drive in mountains, and it wasn't winter. I would not want to unhook the trailor during the trip. Remember, I will be by myself so how would I ever get it hooked back up?

As for the pod type thing, I don't think 1 would hold everything so the cost is prohibited. Plus I have 2 stops when I get there. I am temporarily staying with my son so some of my stuff goes there and some is going into storage.
Old Jan 30th, 2021, 02:26 AM

I would choose the alternate route so as not to hit Chicago at any time. No Indianapolis, louiisville or Nashville either. Knoxville is an easy bypass on its belt road. The mountains grades are not bad in my opinion--maybe less than around Chatanooga. I hate Nashville traffic.
I have driven a trailer only one time on a long distance and knew I could not back it!! It is definitely mind blowing!!
Be sure to park where you can drive straight through.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 09:02 PM

what happens when you to Tampa?...The traffic is crazy there...is it outskirts?...Is some one meeting you there to help you?