Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from: Long Beach to Henderson NV, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley

Driving from: Long Beach to Henderson NV, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to drive from Long Beach to Henderson, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Monument Valley. Have you done this drive? What route is best? I would like to make the drive a "loop" taking in as many sites possible in one week. Thank you.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It make more sense to do it in this order LB > GC > MV > Bryce > Zion > LB (or reverse). That is a LOT to bite off in one week. Just the drive time would be close to 30 hours plus stops - That's butts in seats time. Do you have 7 full days? If so, about 1.5 days will be spent getting to the GC (that is if you stop over someplace - it's about a 9+ hour drive straight through so it could be done in one very long day) and another to full day to get from Zion back to Long Beach. Can you add any time to the trip??

Do you have to go to Henderson? Because taking I-40 and stopping in Kingman instead of I-15 via Henderson would cut about 1.5 hours off the drive time.

Maybe 3-ish years ago I did a linear drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas (we flew into PHX and home from Vegas) via the South Rim, Page, MV, Bryce, and Zion with 2-night stops at the GC, in Page, and in Zion and that was LOT of driving. If I had been doing a loop from LA it would have been really tough to fit it all in.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:18 PM

. . . during that trip we did visit Monument Valley and Bryce -- but didn't stay at either one.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janisj, we need to stop in Henderson to visit a family member. I will try and add a few days to the trip so it is more enjoyable. Thank you so much!!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I may be able to add a few days to our drive. We need to take bus/trolley tours at each of these places - any suggestions would be sincerely welcomed. Thank you.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 04:19 PM

Yes I live in Long Beach and have done these Grand Circle drives several times. What time frame is this for? Are you comfortable driving in winter conditions? It wouldn't be unusual for people who live in this area to take a long weekend trip from Long Beach to Zion, and return. Or a week to include Zion and the GC South Rim.

However when you add in Bryce and Monument Valley that is bit much, especially in winter unless you are prepared for ice and snow on roads. If you like driving trips (and are here year round) you may want to drop Monument Valley and Bryce for now, and do those later in the year, in combination Grand Canyon North Rim, Moab (Arches) and Hwy 12.

There are many posts on Fodors for "Grand Circle". There are probably group bus tours from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, if that is something you want.

I would want to spend two nights each at the Grand Canyon and Zion. I find the westbound drive back to Long Beach difficult since you are heading into the sun. So be sure to leave early in the morning that day.

I recommend staying at least one night in Bryce to see sunrise/sunset, and the same for Monument Valley.

My order would be as follows: Long Beach-Kingman (1st night) -Grand Canyon South Rim (2-3) -Monument Valley(4) -Bryce(5) -Zion(Springdale(6-7) -Henderson(8)-Long Beach.

Check out the free shuttle bus access and weather conditions in each park via nps.gov under plan your visit.

eg
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/index.htm (expect delays due to COVID related staffing shortages)

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...tle-system.htm (Zion shuttle closed until Feb 18)

https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/shuttle.htm (shuttle starts April 2)

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 21st, 2022 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 03:44 AM
J62

Not much to add to what mlgb has written - good info.

You say you want bus/trolley tours at each park. Do you also intend to do any hiking at those parks? If yes, then you'll definitely need more time.
If no, and if you're doing a drive by tour with stops at lookout points then 1d at each park may be sufficiient.

Even if you are not planning any long hikes it's worth considering time to just "be there", and include short walks. You don't need to plan anything strenuous and there are nice walks at each of the parks for any mobility or fitness level.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

The above info is very helpful. Thank you all
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 02:30 PM

Go to www.nps.gov to find the national parks you want to visit to see when they start the shuttles in the parks. Zion has one in the valley and Grand Canyon has them that parallel the rim trail with from Bright Angel area to Hermits rest t at stop at viewpoints along the way. You can hop off and spend some time at the stops or walk along the rim trail to the next stop and get back on the bus if you get tired of walking. They also go to other areas in the park.

Monument Valley is a Navajo park and there is one unpaved road that you can self drive as well as many Navajo guides who will take you through the park.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 10:27 PM

That is a scenic route covering some of Grand Circle.
Suggest going on Amazon and look at Zion To Escalante, Utah book.
It will refer you to other books along your route

As of 1 April, you will need a permit to climb Angels Landing in Zion.
Go to Zion Park web site for details as they are still trying to solidify their permit program.
However, primary route will be via Internet.
There may be a "next day' permit system at the Visitor Center
Quantity of daily permits remains to be determined as of this minute.

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 11:05 PM

"As of 1 April, you will need a permit to climb Angels Landing in Zion . . ."

Just a guess but I don't think climbing Angels Landing would be in their plans. Just sayin'

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 09:50 AM

Just say that it was not acceptable to offer that advice
Sorry for that.

Old Jan 24th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Parktrvl
Just say that it was not acceptable to offer that advice
Sorry for that.
there are no bad replies on Fodor’s; everyone’s input is appreciated. Thank you.