Search

Casselman Ontario and Burlington Vermont

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2022, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casselman Ontario and Burlington Vermont

Hi all,

I’m uploading some pre-recorded lectures to Google Drive now, a long process so since I can’t use my computer for other things, thought I’d share two local-ish excursions I did in the month of December.

I have a friend who likes Ontario wines, which can be difficult to obtain in Quebec where I live, so decided to do a day trip to the LCBO (Ontario wine store acronym) in Casselman about 55 km southeast of Ottawa to get her a Gamay noir as a Christmas gift. I chose the town for no other reason than it is a stop on the VIA Rail route from Montreal to Ottawa, and the LCBO was within walking distance of the train station. Walking down Principale Street to the bridge over the South Nation River and back to the LCBO, besides a handsome stone Catholic Church and the river view itself, there’s not much in the way of sights. What I did find interesting was that I quickly realized that a lot (It turns out 80%) of the population was French-speaking and I spoke to absolutely everyone I interacted with there in French. This was the most French-speaking place outside of Quebec in Canada I’ve been; I’d heard people say that parts of Ontario were very francophone but had never experienced it first-hand. I have used my French in Ottawa, Moncton NB, and St. Boniface MB as well but in Casselman, French seemed to be more of the default language. The accent to me was very similar to Quebec’s.

Burlington I had not been to since 1994 when I had a grad school interview at UVM. I only went there since I flew out of that airport to see family over the holidays. The bus from Montreal arrives in downtown Burlington and I had an hour to mill around before I needed to get to the airport. Just to say, the view of Lake Champlain is so striking; I found them almost especially gorgeous with snow capped hills visible and the pedestrian Church Street Marketplace had a festive bustle and a quasi-European high street charm about it. There also are so many handsome buildings belonging to Champlain College and UVM, making downtown Burlington a quite aesthetically-pleasing place to arrive in. On Church Street, I was glad to discover Lake Champlain chocolates, which made for great, last-minute Christmas gifts that proved to be popular. Burlington Airport seemed such a good idea too given the circumstances, airy and spacious, when Montreal’s Dorval Airport was undoubtedly crowded and chaotic. Bottom line, I’m not sure why I haven’t visited close-by Burlington over the intervening years; so scenic and charming, I’d like to spend a few nights and leisurely enjoy some of the small city’s attractions when travelling becomes easier.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2022!

Best wishes

Daniel

Last edited by Daniel_Williams; Jan 11th, 2022 at 06:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

South Nation River, Casselman, ON

Paroisse Ste. Euphémie, Casselman ON

Church Street Marketplace, Burlington, VT

View of Lake Champlain from downtown Burlington VT
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 06:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
So happy you enjoyed Burlington, one of my favorite places!
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks happytravlr!

I debated even writing a report given that I had literally only an hour to freely explore downtown Burlington before needing to catch an Uber to the airport and consequently not too much to say. (A longer visit is definitely in order!) So thank you for replying, as it makes me glad I did. Believe it or not, I wasn't even aware that Burlington had such stellar lake views, as my only other time there, I was mostly occupied with grad school interviews and seeing UVM.

Daniel

PS Not sure if my fellow Canadians and Americans find it weird that I put a portion of this 'recent getaways' report in the US even though half of it was about Canada; just to say, I did debate where to put it, but given that Burlington is a more known destination than Casselman, I thought the report might get more of an audience in the US forum. Plus, I thought it might be interesting for a foreign audience who didn't know to learn that Ontario has parts where French is truly the lingua franca. Oh, and I realize I forgot to mention that a possible reason to go to Casselman is a microbrewery which seems to get good reviews, which was unfortunately closed during my short visit.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 07:36 AM

I enjoyed your short report, too, and your photos. We stopped in Burlington about 15 years ago en route to Montreal! I think we only had a couple hours to grab a meal and walk around. I don't remember the views of the lake. It is a place I would like to return to some day. I love Lake Champlain chocolates! And what does "high street" mean?
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 09:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the mini-trip reports Daniel which I really enjoyed; how interesting to learn about different french speaking places in Quebec apart from the usual suspects. And I too should like to go back to Burlington, as I don't remember my first, as it was over 30 years ago, and my last visit was far too short. Both times I arrived or left by ferry, the last time being back in 2018 when not knowing about the bus from Montreal to Burlington, I got the Adirondak line south and got off in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere, to catch the ferry across the lake. I had a blast with the Fodorites I met there but we left the next morning so it was far too short. Third time lucky I hope.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Karenwoo-- I think Burlington a great place to stop as one heads northward to Montreal, especially from points further south in New England. If you go back, you, like me who didn't remember lake views from 1994, will wonder how you missed it! A 'high street' I used to mean a principal commercial street; that might sound like a 'main street' in US/Canadian parlance, the key difference being that I envision a European high street as being quite busy with pedestrian traffic, possibly even but not necessarily pedestrian-only.

annhig-- On a nice day, that ferry sounds like a fun way to get out on the water. I will do that some year! Thanks for reading!

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the definition of "high street". I've heard the term used by the British in songs, novels, etc. but didn't really know what it meant. It was clear it wasn't the name of the street. Definitely sounds like the US/Canadian "main street".
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:35 AM

>

It was, Daniel, but it wasn't without its stressful moments. Making sure I was in time to catch the only train of the day that leaves Montreal for NYC, finding the right part of the train, worrying that the US authorities wouldn't like my visa, getting off in absolutely the middle of nowhere and standing all alone on the platform as the train disappeared off into the distance having no idea where the ferry port was, then waiting around for about 3 hours for the ferry to arrive. [yep the connection is rubbish] and finally waiting on deck as we docked looking out for two Fodorites I'd never met before hoping we would recognise each other! [We did - phew].

But as a way of arriving in Burlington it was very pleasant.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:39 AM

>

Daniel has it exactly right, KarenWoo, though in fact high streets can and often are called "High Street". And it is still in common parlance so one might hear reference to high street shops and banks, meaning businesses in the centre of a town or city.
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 01:58 AM

If you have a car you can take the ferry to visit Ausable Chasm in NY. Also, head north then drive south across the Hero Islands and return to Burlington. Shelburne Museum isn't bery far away. On one visit we had a light supper at a deli/ice cream place that looked out on the lake. Since someone else was driving I don't remember the name. It appeared to be a popular place to watch the sun set. Church Street is wonderful.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks annhig--I think if I do that ferry, I might just do it from Burlington round trip as a fun way to get out on the water. dfrostnh--Thanks for the additional suggestions for the region!

Old Jan 19th, 2022, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the report Daniel. Do take the ferry even if it is just for the ride. In the fall the colors reflected in the water are spectacular.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

oldemalloy-- A fall boat ride on Lake Champlain sounds like a magnificent idea for a future short getaway. Thanks for reading; you and annhig almost seem like an old friends now as I remember and always have appreciated your comments on trip reports.
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 11:56 AM

Daniel - that's a very sweet thing to say and one day perhaps we might manage a mini GTG somewhere. That would be fun!