Search

California in April

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California in April

We are planning a family trip to California. We are planning to meet my daughter and her boyfriend who live in LA, in Sonoma. The plan is to spend two nights there and then drive down the coast to Carmel where we would spend one night. My other daughterAnd her boyfriend will be flying into LA so the original plan was to meet them in Santa Barbara-The four of us would drive from Carmel to meet them

is that too much driving?
we would have four nights in Santa Barbara. is that too long?

Thanks in advance for all your recommendations.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 06:24 AM

Yes, four nights in SB would be too long. There's not that much to see/do. Maybe you can stay an extra night in Carmel. Drive the scenic 17-mile Road in Carmel; check out Monterey’s world-famous aquarium and Cannery Row; go on a Monterey Bay Whale Watch tour; view the 1855 Point Pinos Lighthouse and 1794 San Carlos Cathedral; and hike the Sea Lion Trail at Point Lobos State Reserve. Wander around the majestic redwood trees in Garrapata State Park just 20 minutes south on Hwy 1.

Last edited by PrairieHikerII; Feb 6th, 2022 at 06:29 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 08:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd rather stay 4 nights in Carmel than 4 nights in SB (though I do like SB)

With just one night in Carmel you will really not have time to see/do much. If its a weekday morning Sonoma to Carmel will take close to 4 hours - maybe longer. Then Carmel to SB along the coast is 5 hours plus stops (and you'll want to stop a LOT - at Pt Lobos, in Big Sur, Cambria, Morro Bay etc,) So If there is some flexibility, I'd stay 2 nights in Sonoma (one could be enough but with arrival day in the mix I'd include a 2nd night). Then a MINIMUM of 2 nights in Carmel 3 would be better, then whatever you have left in SB.

17 mile drive is OK but most northern Californians would recommend skipping it because there is sooooooo much more to see and do in the area. Some others of which prairiehiker lists. My main list would be Pt Lobos, Carmel Mission, The aquarium/Cannery Row, Monterey State Historic Park, Kayaking either in the Bay or Elkhorn Slough, Pebble Beach (if one has even a minimal interest in golf), Carmel itself (shops, restaurants. galleries, beach) plus more -- way too much in half a day, or even 1.5 days which 2 nights would net you.

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, there is quite a bit to see in/from SB, but whether those things would interest you more than what you could see/do in the Carmel/Monterey area is for you to decide.

From SB, you might want to visit the Channel Islands (California's Galapagos), go whale watching, explore wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley or the galleries and outdoor activities in Ojai (hiking, horseback riding, etc.). In April, there will be wildflowers along the drive from Carmel and in the hillside and inland valley areas all around SB. In SB itself, the Mission, the Presidio, Lotusland, municipal architecture, museums, botanical garden, theater events (indoor and outdoor)....

But one night in Carmel would only allow for two partial days of sightseeing. Then, the drive from Carmel to SB is over 4 hours by the inland route or longer if you want to drive along the coast. Did you want to see Big Sur? the elephant seals? Two back-to-back days of long drives...

Why more nights in Sonoma than Carmel?
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. The problem is (a good problem) we need to be near LA on a certain day to meet my other daughter who is flying in to LAX. There is no flexibility unless we give up time with her which we don't want to do. My priority is spending time with my kids-I care less about what we are actually doing but it would be nice to stay in nice places and do fun things along the way!
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 10:57 AM

In that case -- I'd ditch Sonoma and add those days to Carmel . . . There are wonderful wine regions all along the mid coast between Monterey and LA so no need to detour up to Sonoma if vineyards/wineries are a focus.

That would give you 3 nights in Carmel. Plus, assuming you are flying in to SFO - Carmel is an easier drive than up to Sonoma. Sonoma is a bit closer but the drive is through the worst SF Bay area traffic, and you'd have to fight that traffic twice.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 11:06 AM

I'd add at least one more night to Carmel and visit the Mission there plus the Monterey Aquarium. Then I would add a night along the Central Coast in either Pismo Beach or Morro Bay, then Santa Barbara (which also has a nice Mission). You can do wine tasting (if that is on the agenda) in either Sonoma County (pick your region ahead of time) the Santa Ynez Valley north of SB, or both. I agree with skipping the 17 Mile Drive, did it once and while it was nice to see the Lone Cypress, the rest of the drive was not worth the time and money IMO.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks. So maybe fly into SFO and drive to Carmel. Spend 2 nights in Carmel and 1 night in Pismo Beach or Morro Bay then on to Santa Barbara. We can do wine tasting in SB and hopefully go to the beach, hike etc. I appreciate all the help!
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 01:14 PM

Sounds like a better, more relaxing plan. Sights in SB include the Santa Barbara Mission, Stearns Wharf, the Waterfront, El Presidio State Historical Park, Botanic Gardens, centuries-old oaks in Mission Canyon and some of the best beaches in America because it is on the American Riviera.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 01:41 PM

Why are you so keen on Santa Barbara??? It's an OK place, but Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel is a lot more interesting (IMO) - and 20 times more stuff to do & see if you include Pt Lobos. I would spend 4 nights in Carmel and 2 in SB. Or perhaps spend 3 nights in Carmel, then drive slowly along Hwy 1, visit Pt Lobos, and stay 1 night in Big Sur and dine at Nepenthe.
https://www.nepenthe.com/
Next morning visit Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park & waterfall - then on to SB. IMO, you might be underwhelmed with Posmo Beach/Morrow Bay just after visiting Carmel/Monterey, Big Sur/Nepenthe, and the Big Sur Coast.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 47 years, and LA region/Laguna Beach for 27. Janisj is correct about the drive from Sonoma to Carmel. The drive through San Francisco is a challenge. We do it all the time, and know the "back roads", the time of day to do the drive, and it is still time consuming for us. Hwy 1 through San Francisco (19th Ave) has lots of construction going on, and signs everywhere telling people to expect delays on weekdays

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

The challenge is that we have 7 nights-the last four nights need to either be close to LA or SF because that is when we are meeting daughter # 2. Meeting daughter # 1 on day 1.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 02:13 PM

"last four nights need to either be close to LA or SF because that is when we are meeting daughter # 2."

Oh -- Do I understand correctly that DD #2 hasn't yet booked their flights and they can fly in to either SFO or LAX?? If so, with just 7 days why not limit yourselves to SF (maybe Sonoma) > Carmel / Big Sur

(not to muddy the waters even more and just an FYI - but several airlines fly into both Monterey and Santa Barbara so SFO and LAX don't necessarily 'have' to be in the mix)
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by neglex
The challenge is that we have 7 nights-the last four nights need to either be close to LA or SF because that is when we are meeting daughter # 2. Meeting daughter # 1 on day 1.
Once you get near LA and south of the Grapevine/Santa Clarita on Hwy 5, or south of Ventura on Hwy 1 - you get into the LA mess where everything is confusing, congested, and time consuming (IMO). I hate driving down there to visit my sister, old friends, High School reunions, etc. Once I thought I would try it on a weekend - but it was a mess then also. Later, I left Pasadena in the very early morning and that seemed to work out better.

I would just stay "north", fly in/out of San Francisco and focus on San Francisco, Carmel/Monterey, Big Sur/Hwy 1, Cambria/Paso Robles, then north on Hwy 101 back to San Francisco for your departure. Depending on what flights are available, you could also fly into San Jose, Monterey, or even Santa Barbara - and out of San Francisco.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Feb 6th, 2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Correct-she can fly into LAX or SFO. It sounds as if we should stay north.

Thanks so much.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:57 PM

Depends on what YOU want to see and do. I live in LA so I am biased towards Southern California although I do love a trip up to Santa Barbara for a few days or maybe some wine tasting and the beaches, and the Central Coast is nice, but north of there is pretty but not to my taste other than a splurge now and then in Carmel.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 07:46 PM

she can fly into LAX or SFO
The misconception that your choices are so limited is preventing you from planning a nice vacation.

If you are not interested in visiting San Francisco or LA then don’t fly there, don’t use those airports.

For Carmel use Monterey or if you want a nonstop then pick San Jose. If Santa Barbara is still in the mix use that airport. If Sonoma is still in the mix fly into Santa Rosa and home from Monterey or Santa Barbara. Airport choice in California should be given a lot of thought since there are so many well-served airports, and there’s so much traffic.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with tom_mn. Add San Luis Obispo to the list of possible airports.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 07:59 AM

I agree -- SFO and LAX are the only airports most visitors have heard of -- there are lots of other options. If LA and SF (the cities) are not part of the plan then flying into San Jose, Monterey, Santa Barbara etc. The schedules are more frequent into SFO/LAX but the added hassles of those two huge airports plus the awful traffic around both can make flying into one of the smaller regional airports a big time and 'schlepp' saver.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the only Non-stop from Boston to Northern CA is to SFO. Any recommendations for a beautiful hotel around Carmel?

Thanks.California in April
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of vineyards/ wineries/ ranches to visit just north of Santa Barbara in the Santa Ynez Valley. And often gloriously green there in March & April. 4 nights in Santa Barbara is 3 full days and it is not too many.
And if her flight arrival times match up with the schedule for the Santa Barbara Airbus, the late-arriving daughter# 2 could just hop the airbus to Santa Barbara, it's an express coach that makes one stop on the way up. Or maybe just fly into Santa Barbara airport.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Feb 8th, 2022 at 09:58 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -