CA travel with an unvaccinated traveler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide if following through on a trip to Santa Barbara and wineries north thereof in January is sensible, given that a friend with whom I am traveling may not be vaccinated due to natural immunity. Can any CA folks weigh in? I have to pull the plug on my B&B by mid-December to get a full refund. We will bypass LA on the drive north and I'm not seeing restrictions online currently for where we will be. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 05:09 PM

We were in the Santa Barbara, LA, Cambria area about a month ago and needed no proof of vaccination for anywhere we visited (Getty Museums, restaurants, etc). We stayed in Santa Monica, and Avila Beach. As far as I know, San Francisco is the only city near us that needs proof of vaccination to get into a restaurant. I don't know about hotels in SF.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 07:20 PM

You do realize, don't you, that "natural immunity" does not remove the need for vaccination, does not provide the same level or duration of protection...
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 07:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not be comfortable travelling with an unvaccinated person. Regardless of rules in California. But sounds like you are OK with that?
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StuDudley
We were in the Santa Barbara, LA, Cambria area about a month ago and needed no proof of vaccination for anywhere we visited (Getty Museums, restaurants, etc). We stayed in Santa Monica, and Avila Beach. As far as I know, San Francisco is the only city near us that needs proof of vaccination to get into a restaurant. I don't know about hotels in SF.

Stu Dudley

New rules in Los Angeles, effective November 8.
  • Among the requirements, the city of Los Angeles now mandates proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to enter indoor restaurants, shopping centers, movie theaters, hair and nail salons, coffee shops, gyms, museums, bowling alleys, performance venues and other spaces.
  • Attendees of outdoor events with 5,000 or more people also will have to show proof of vaccination or that they’ve recently tested negative for the coronavirus.
  • The city’s rules do allow exemptions for religious or medical reasons. However, businesses must require those customers to use outdoor facilities or show evidence of a recent negative coronavirus test to come inside if no outdoor area is available. Customers who have no proof of vaccination or exemption can still enter briefly to use the restroom or pick up a takeout order, according to the ordinance.
  • L.A. is also requiring proof of vaccination to enter indoor city facilities, although unvaccinated people will be provided “alternative arrangements for access to government services,” which could include online or outdoor services or the option to provide a negative test to enter an indoor facility.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...o-effect-today

Throughout the State, businesses can make their own, stricter, rules and some do.

Last edited by Barbara; Nov 14th, 2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 03:12 AM
J62

I'm curious about this "natural immunity" Do tell more.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 03:17 AM

Well, you know Aaron Rodgers has "it".

We are having an annual family gathering--Early Christmas''which we did not have last year when it would have been it's 55th year. One family has not been vaccinated because they have all "had" Covid. They will be absent from the rest of us.

Find another vaccinated friend to go on the trip. Will the B&B allow an unvaccinated guest?
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 06:11 AM

Los Angeles COUNTY of which Santa Monica is a part, requires proof of full vaccination for indoor bars, nighclubs and wineries. That doesn't include "natural immunity".

Also will your unvaccinated friend be okay with mask-wearing indoors? If not, she might want to skip much of California.

As usual, enforcement is up to the business.

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 06:31 AM

The wineries in Santa Barbara County are not requiring vaccination confirmation but masks are required regardless of vaccination status. Masks are required countywide. Proof of vaccination is required at music venues ( such as the Fremont Theater in San Luis Obispo County and although I haven't personally been- I imagine venues in Santa Barbara require it also.) I think you'll be fine as long as regulations stay the way they are now. Be aware that most wineries still require reservations - it isn't like the old days where you could just drive around and go in wherever you wanted! You will need to carefully plan your itinerary- make reservations- etc.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 06:47 AM

""New rules in Los Angeles, effective November 8.""

We just made it. We dined at 3 restaurants in Santa Monica in October and didn't need proof of vaccination. Nor at the Getty museums. We had our CDC cards with us, however.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Another attempt to clear up confusion caused by post #5. Many people who do not live here do not seem to be aware that the CITY and COUNTY of Los Angeles are two different governments. The City of LA (and Pasadena and Long Beach) can adopt stricter rules since they have their own Health Departments.

The rules around indoor restaurant dining that went into effect on November 8 were an ordinance of the CITY of Los Angeles, not an order of the COUNTY of Los Angeles Health Officer.

Therefore they DO NOT apply to Santa Monica which is a separate city in the COUNTY of Los Angeles.

At present there is no order or other government rule requiring proof of full vaccination for indoor restaurant dining in Santa Monica. The County order for full vaccination only applies to bars, nightclubs and wineries.

Also the City of LA backed off on the requirement for malls.

Of course, any private business can do whatever they want. For example, they could still ask for proof of vaccination and not permit you to dine indooors if you don't have it.

For museums, it is a good idea to check the museum website to see what they are requiring and whether a reservation is needed.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 15th, 2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:32 AM

In this situation, I would be less focused on local mandates (which could change for the worse by January) and more concerned with being in very close contact over multiple days with an unvaccinated person. Will you both wear masks as you drive in the car with the windows up??

No one knows how long immunity from having had Covid lasts or what level of immunity any particular individual achieves or even what level of immunity protects a person from new or re-infection. People who have had Covid can get it again, but being vaccinated increases the level of immunity. I'm guessing the friend will already be at least 3-4 months post-Covid by the time of the trip.

Beyond Covid, there's the weather. Temps would likely be pleasant, but January is sometimes the wettest month of the year in Santa Barbara. The other two wettest months are February and December. And while you could get lucky, when it rains in this area, it often comes as a deluge and not scattered showers throughout the day. Not exactly the best odds for sightseeing.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 08:35 AM

No confusion. The quote states "city of Los Angeles" in the very first line and repeats "city". It was mostly for Stu Dudley, so he could see what a narrow squeak he had! He most certainly knows the difference between "City" and "County" of Los Angeles.

Last edited by Barbara; Nov 15th, 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:33 AM

I was raised in the city of San Gabriel in LA County.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:38 AM

Except there was no squeaking by for restaurants in Santa Monica. Proof of vaccination there is STILL not required.

Once again, emphasis is needed for comprehension. Nothing new here.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 15th, 2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have until mid-December to decide, then wait and decide later. We don't know what a Thanksgiving surge might bring about. Currently Santa Barbara county is under an indoor mask mandate through Dec 5 and I would not be at all surprised if they're considering extending that another month to get them through the holidays a bit more safely. But a surge in hospitalizations 10 days after Thanksgiving could bring about some vaccination requirements for restaurants etc. It would not be the first time that SB county decided to follow Los Angeles's lead.

Check back around Dec 5th/6th for an update on the scenario.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 09:51 AM

Also, if you'd like a Southern California location with minimal requirements, you might want to switch over to Orange County or San Diego County.

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
a friend with whom I am traveling may not be vaccinated due to natural immunity

I am more interested in how or why they believe they have "natural immunity". Are they willing to get vaccinated?
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Have a Plan B in case a winery does not allow your unvaxxed friend to enter. Do you make her wait in the car or the picnic grounds? Or do you "suck it up" and drive around trying to find another winery?
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Don't need that feedback. Number one it isn't me. Number two science says otherwise (and the EU recognizes natural immunity). But that said, I was hoping to avoid the whole culture war judiness. In vain I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -