Broadway with 11 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, thinking about a trip to NYC with our 11 year old daughter. We usually see a Broadway play when we visit. Our daughter is unvaccinated mainly because the pediatric vaccine only recently became available in the country where we live (Caribbean island). I am reading in the relevant covid policies applicable to Broadway threatres that children 5-11 need to show proof of vaccine to attend a play. We won't be able to comply with that requirement. Are there any exceptions? Would a negative covid test result taken the day of attendance suffice does anyone know? Has anyone successfully gained admission with an unvaccinated child under age 12 and if so, what did they require? She will be attending with her dad and I and we are both fully vaccinated. Grateful for thoughts.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 07:59 AM

If it is now available, why not just go ahead and get the Vaccine done? Then she would be safer in the crowds on Broadway.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 08:32 AM

I don't know of any exceptions just because of where you live. For example, some people live in countries where they were using vaccines not approved by WHO (Sinovac, I think) and they don't get exceptions.

I don't really understand your problem. IF it is available, get her vaccinated, and the booster is only 3 weeks later. You haven't even planned your trip yet, I don't know why you can't wait a month to go. You'd get better rates on things, anyway, probably, like air fare. If you have two doses but it isn't 14 days since the last one (which you could easily do by waiting 6 weeks), they do allow you to go if you have a PCR test within 72 hrs or an antigen test with 6 hrs of entry. It can't just be the same day, if it is more than 6 hrs.

I don't really understand why you don't care if you travels internationally encountering crowds all over on the plane and in NY and you don't seem to even care if she is vaccinated.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated. This would not be the first time we are travelling with our daughter since covid and she is just fine. We've observed the protocols (mask wearing, hand washing) and we have travelled with her with no issues. The fact is she is gets school holidays at set times and this trip will be for her spring break coming up in mid April. The pediatric vaccines have just arrived in our island and frankly I am not rushing to get her vaccinated. I do not see the need to. If we cant do Broadway because she is unvaccinated then that's what it is. There will be plenty of other activities for us to do in the city where her unvaccinated status will not have any bearing.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 09:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecile23
. . . The pediatric vaccines have just arrived in our island and frankly I am not rushing to get her vaccinated. I do not see the need to. . .
Can someone (not the OP who doesn't see the need) tell me, please, are unvaccinated people allowed on planes?

Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Can someone (not the OP who doesn't see the need) tell me, please, are unvaccinated people allowed on planes?
Depends. If one is a US citizen, Green Card holder, etc then vaccination is not required to fly to the US - just a negative test. If one is not a citizen/legal resident, the covid vaccination is required. (That is only for international flights - for domestic flights vaccination status is not checked). We don't know the OP's daughter's nationality.

Cecile23: The rules change frequently. Where I live (not NY) first proof of vaccination and a negative test were required for any play or concert. But just a few days ago those restrictions were lifted. If New York's rules remain unchanged then likely your daughter won't be able to attend. But watch for announcements cuz thing could be different in mid-April
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Depends. If one is a US citizen, Green Card holder, etc then vaccination is not required to fly to the US - just a negative test. If one is not a citizen/legal resident, the covid vaccination is required. (That is only for international flights - for domestic flights vaccination status is not checked). We don't know the OP's daughter's nationality.

Cecile23: The rules change frequently. Where I live (not NY) first proof of vaccination and a negative test were required for any play or concert. But just a few days ago those restrictions were lifted. If New York's rules remain unchanged then likely your daughter won't be able to attend. But watch for announcements cuz thing could be different in mid-April
Testing is required for those coming into the US.

Best to check this web page to get the specifics.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

Note to Cecile23 - interesting to see someone visiting NYC from the BVI as many people from NY are probably wanting to visit the BVI at this time of year.

As far exceptions to the proof of vaccination rule, while our Mayor in NYC is slowly relaxing that rule in the City as a whole it is totally up to the venue (theater, museum etc) as to whether they are also relaxing that rule.
I am sure everything will work out. I would, however, check whatever attractions, museums etc ahead of time (check their web sites) to see any restrictions which may be in place.

Enjoy your stay in NYC.

Last edited by nycguy10002; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 12:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Testing is required for those coming into the US."

Yes. Everyone entering the US has to be tested -- but the OP mentioned they'd all be tested. I was talking about vaccination record.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
"Testing is required for those coming into the US."

Yes. Everyone entering the US has to be tested -- but the OP mentioned they'd all be tested. I was talking about vaccination record.
janisj,

The proof of vaccination rule is slowly being relaxed in NYC in general but it is up to the specific venue as to whether they are doing the same. Private venues are allowed to make a choice as to whether they are ready or not to no longer require
proof of being vaxxed.

(I added this to my response before you posted your question).

Also note that both Federal and NY State guidelines may still be in effect regardless of what NYC elected leaders may want.

Last edited by nycguy10002; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Exactly. I saw that when I read the policies on Broadway Direct. Relaxation of the restrictions may occur at the end of April. The rules are changing often as this covid situation remains fluid. My daughter is a US citizen so she has no issues getting into the US. If we don't catch a play on our intended visit in April we can hopefully do so later in the year.
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much NYCguy! I appreciate your thoughts. Yes we are blessed to be living in the BVI but it is also nice to get off the rock for a change of scenery and activities that are not as available here - museums, historic sites, big parks, Broadway and the list goes on. Pre covid, we always had at least one trip a year there. Will certainly do as you suggest and keep an eye on the theatre websites to see what they require as time passes. The rules are for everyone's safety and I do understand that.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 06:20 AM

Per The Broadway League's policy, which pertains to all Broadway theaters/performances, vaccination proof will be required through April 30th.
https://www.broadway.org/info/covid-19-updates/