Beach hotels southern california

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a nice beach hotel between (but not in) LA and San Diego. Suitable for us as family with two boys aged 21 and 18. Needs a pool and not be too small. Luxury, comfortable and suitable for 4 nights stay so activities at hotel or nearby. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 10:18 AM

I recommend a beachfront hotel in Laguna Beach.which is an artist community with some great beaches, coves, tide pools, and 74 parks and natural areas. Excellent biking, hiking and beachcombing. It has an outstanding art museum, art galleries, and excellent restaurants. Check out these hotels: https://www.visitlagunabeach.com/hotels/beachfront/
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 10:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want luxury, the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel is perfection. Its setting will remind you of Hawaii, sitting on a cliff overlooking the ocean.
There is a walkway down to the beach, and I think the hotel still provides golf cart rides down.

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Teenage boys? Take them to Surf City aka Huntington Beach and maybe take a look at Hyatt there, it is right across PCH from the beach. There are VERY few hotels in SoCal that are actually on the beach.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 03:03 PM

We stayed at the Surf & Sand on PCH in Laguna Beach about 8 years and enjoyed it. We lived in Laguna Beach from early 1971 to mid-1975, and my parents lived in Laguna Niguel near the Ritz Carlton when it was new. It's been a long time - but as I recall, guests at the Ritz will need to get in their car to go anyplace outside if the hotel grounds. Surf & Sand is in Laguna - so restaurants, shops, other commerce is a walk away. Although a walk to "downtown" (small) Laguna Beach is a tad farther away than I want to walk. Some people might prefer the latter location and some might prefer the former.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would rent a villa at Terranea Resort, esp. if you're flying into or out of LAX. Its location is in L.A. County but very remote. Luxury on the beach, multiple pools, long list of activities (both ocean and land based), golf course, spa, hiking in the immediate area....

https://www.terranea.com/resort/local-area
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Places I've stayed at that fit the bill:

First rec would be Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa at Doheny State Beach in Dana Point. Love the beach (mentioned in a Beach Boys song!) and the property itself.

Second, Balboa Bay Resort in Newport Beach (lots of water activities and close to Balboa Island).

Third, Surf & Sand in Laguna Beach, right on the water, great pool, and walk to shops in town, all right there.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean
I would rent a villa at Terranea Resort, esp. if you're flying into or out of LAX. Its location is in L.A. County but very remote. Luxury on the beach, multiple pools, long list of activities (both ocean and land based), golf course, spa, hiking in the immediate area....

https://www.terranea.com/resort/local-area
That looks beautiful but it's pretty expensive. Villas seem to be going for about $2400/night.
Old Feb 11th, 2022, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The OP said "luxury." Unless a budget is stated, I go with my definition...
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 01:27 PM

Surf & Sand on PCH in Laguna Beach
I stayed there in 1965, certainly a hotel that has longevity. Our room had once been used by the Ozzie and Harriet family (Ricky Nelson). I wonder if the plaque is still on the door?
Old Feb 13th, 2022, 02:18 PM

""I stayed there in 1965, certainly a hotel that has longevity. Our room had once been used by the Ozzie and Harriet family (Ricky Nelson). I wonder if the plaque is still on the door?""

That's interesting. In mid 1971, we lived on PCH in Laguna Beach just down the street from Victoria Beach where Ozzie & Harriet lived. We saw them both on the beach almost every summer weekend. And we ran into her at the local grocery several times. The Tom Harmon family (Tom - LA celeb & Heisman winner, Mark Harmon - actor, Kris - Mrs Ricky Nelson) lived next door to Ozzie & Harriet. A few years later, Ricky & Kris purchased a house there too, and we saw them quite often also.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 07:14 PM

The Ritz-Carlton in Laguna Niguel is divine.
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 05:19 PM

I’ve stayed at the surf and sand. There’s no air conditioning so you have to leave the door open. It was a full moon and the waves were very big and loud. My sister said she was getting sea sick. We left the next morning and went to the Resort at Pelican Hill.

we’ve also stayed at the monarch beach resort which I know believe is a Waldorf property. And have stayed multiple times at the Hyatt Huntington Beach.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jamie99
Teenage boys? Take them to Surf City aka Huntington Beach and maybe take a look at Hyatt there, it is right across PCH from the beach. There are VERY few hotels in SoCal that are actually on the beach.
>> two boys aged 21 and 18

Well, young men . I think that HB would fit them better than the other locations that were mentioned.

The Hyatt Regency is only ~17 min walk from fhe pier and HB downtown
The Waterfront Beach Resort, a Hilton Hotel, is 1 min closer
Paséa Hotel & Spa looks nice and a few minutes closer

Seems like HB has events all the time. I found this list:
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 01:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think we've seen the last of the OP - posted and disappeared.