Search

Arizona in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona in December

Hi - Though it may not be the best time to visit Arizona, we are looking forward to a week's vacation there late December (Dec 22 - 29). I welcome ideas on things to do during that time.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Forums are good places to refine an itinerary. Since we know nothing about you or your style & preferences please come up with a basic plan at least then ask for suggestions to improve it. That's what we're good for. So city sights or nature & hiking, one base or more, posh or basic, etc etc. You'll get lots of good help if you point us in a direction.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 09:18 AM

I suggest Tucson (reserve lodging now) and the weather should be fine (sunny and 67 F). There are many interesting things to do/see in Tucson: El Presidio, Barrio Historico, and Armoy Park historic districts, Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park (two units), Mission San Xavier del Bac (1797), Madera Canyon (some of the best birding in the US), hiking the Butterfly Trail on Mt. Lemmon, viewing the Tucson Botanical Gardens, Ft. Lowell Historic Site and neighborhood, 1896 St. Augustine Cathedral (murals and stained glass windows). Hiking in abino Canyon. Visiting the Tucson Art Museum, and riding the Sun Link streetcars. Tucson is the self-described “Mexican Food Capital of the US”.

Last edited by clarkcoan8700; Oct 24th, 2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 01:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Tucson- Mission San Xavier del Bac on reservation south of the city off of I-19. Founded late 1700s.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 03:16 PM
J62

A bit south of Mission San Xavier del Bac (founded before 1800), and not far from the road to Madera Canyon (great birding) is Canoa ranch, where de Anza started off on is trek to SF with several hundred settlers.

Also south of San Xavier are two very interesting sights.
1. ASARCO copper mine tour - I don't know if they are open due to covid but if they are it's a fascinating tour of a huge working open pit copper mine
2. Titan missle museum. https://titanmissilemuseum.org/
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 05:03 PM

The other gem in Tucson is Sabino Canyon in the eastern Foothills. Lots of beautiful hikes or take a ride into the canyon .
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4TakeTheRoad
Hi - Though it may not be the best time to visit Arizona, we are looking forward to a week's vacation there late December (Dec 22 - 29). I welcome ideas on things to do during that time.
In your shoes I would start with how I was planning to arrive in the state. This is by far the most significant constraint on what you can do in the time allowed. If by air, what gateway (e.g. PHX, LAS - yes, I know it's in Nevada...) would be most convenient for you to reach from home?) Some have mentioned Tucson which is a relatively easy 2 hour drive southeast of Phoenix but which would be considerably further from Las Vegas (over 6 hours.) Grand Canyon is about 4.5 hours drive from Vegas, slightly faster from Phoenix (3.5 hours.)

Next, how far afield from where you live is Arizona? For us it was a long air commute, long enough that we needed a day to recuperate after the flight. I mention this because with only a week, if your heart is set on something specific you will have to plan carefully how to integrate it with your arrival point on the inbound end of your trip and just as importantly how to work out your return home.

In short, first research what are your principal constraints just getting to and from Arizona. What you want to do may have to take second place to what you can do.

Old Oct 27th, 2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
The other gem in Tucson is Sabino Canyon in the eastern Foothills. Lots of beautiful hikes or take a ride into the canyon .
I'll second this. Some great hikes to be had there especially during the cooler time of year.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 07:13 PM

Since the original post didn't specify a location, how would you compare Scottsdale as a late December destination? (family of adults, plus kid/baby, like to hike, see nature, culture, eat, chill)
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 05:07 AM
J62

not well. Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale area does some of each of those but it's also a monsterous sprawling metropolis...
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 11:54 AM

The greater Phoenix area which includes Scottsdale is heading toward a population of 5 million. Tucson and it’s surrounding towns is one million population.