Flying to Buenos Aires February

Old Dec 7th, 2021, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying to Buenos Aires February

My husband and I - both seniors - are planning to travel to Buenos Aires in February - interested in information from other's experiences and/or advise. Not sure where to stay and if at a hotel or a B&B/spt - and interested in covid/vaccine info - thank you - Karen
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have current travel experience in Buenos Aires?
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 12:05 PM

We have spent quite a lot of time in Buenos Aires over the years but it is difficult to provide any meaningful advice without a little more information. e.g. Budget, likes and dislikes, how long, are you visiting other parts of the country etc.

Most visitors will gravitate to one of the Palermo barrios - Hollywood or Soho, or the more upmarket Recoleta. Some prefer Puerto Madero which is a little clinical for some or San Telmo, a little more interesting but a bit “edgy “at night.

Taxis are an inexpensive way of getting around but we like to use the Subte lines as much as possible.

The food is excellent at all levels, the steak and seafood amazing. Portion tend towards the huge.

There are hotels to suit all tastes and pockets so it really is just question of searching on booking.com or similar and finding something you like in a place you want to be at a price you find acceptable. For longer stays, say a week or more renting an apartment is an option. Many will use airbnb, personally I am a little wary due to bad experiences but have had good experiences withhttps://oasiscollections.com

I would read up on the currency issues there - the blue dollar rates etc. An unofficial rate that is double teh official rate and halves your costs. US$ cash, new bills are king in Argentina and will halve you costs when there. Happy to supply further info if required.

BA is an amazing city but there are many other places in Argentina deserving of some of your time. I would provide a link to our blog of our travels in teh region but I seem to have screwed up our website and it is down at the moment!
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 12:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We started off our stay in Buenos Aires in a downtown location which we did not like and we did not care for the hotel either. Luckily we were able to get into Hotel Melia Recoleta Plaza, Juan Perón’s former home,
and loved our stay there. We enjoyed this neighborhood too.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - great info - we thought we would stay a few days in BA to begin then travel out - we are interested in the Falls and the wine area - I like historical sites too - we walk but don't want to commit to a long day of walking - the other couple have been there before and did spend two weeks in BA proper - I didn't understand the info on the "blue dollar" - I just went on line and researched - complicated - we have a travel agent who gave us price info on flights - my husband wants to compare with travel companies e.g. Expedia - I am concerned we won't have the same protection as an agent provide when you're out of county or honor airline travel miles. We are looking forward to the restaurants/food - we usually don't spend a lot of our travel money on hotels but want to experience a nice stay. We would very much like to read your travel blog when your website is available - Thanks again - Karen
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - I like the recommendation on Peron's home - I also interested to see more Eva Perone history and see tour the famous cemetery. - did you tour the cemetery? my husband doesn't think it would be a fun place so ? thx again - Karen
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Buenos Aires was my least favorite place in Argentina, but in general I thought that the scenery in South America way outshone the cities. I did visit the cemetery, which I quite liked, although Lviv's is still my favorite. I can recommend the Evita Museum, and I also took a very good graffiti tour.

These are my TRs for BAs:

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...-buenos-aires/

How long will be you be there? Can you manage a side trip to the stunning Iguazu falls? Or at least a trip across the river to Uruguay?
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 01:21 AM

I didn't understand the info on the "blue dollar” .

Basically there are two exchange rates operating in Argentina. The official one determined by the central bank and the unofficial or “blue” rate determined by market forces. One US$ will buy 101pesos at the official rate and 204 pesos at the Blue rate. If you take cash USD and exchange at one of the cuevas or set up an arrangement with Western Union to collect cash on arrival you will get the higher rate of exchange. This effectively means that anything you spend your money in in country will be at half price. If you use cards to get cash from an ATM or to pay for goods or services you will get the lower rate i.e. you will be paying twice as much as you need.

I take your point re the added protection afforded by going through a travel agent. Indeed even being a lifelong independent traveller, I have done exactly the same for a trip to California next month and to Australia later in the year for exactly that reasons. Unfortunately, if you go that route in Argentina you will end up paying more than you would going independently. You will still have the option to take your “spending” money for food, travel, shopping etc. in dollars to convert there. Indeed many outlets will be only too happy to accept dollars at the “blue” rate.

When they say that Iguazu Falls is one of the wonders of the world, it really is true. I believe the border between Argentina and Brazil recently opened up so you would now be able to see both sides of the falls which requires a couple of nights staying there. The main wine area is in Mendoza Province, personally I am not a fan and prefer Salta and the Northwest for its spectacular scenery. There are also plenty of excellent vineyards around Cafayate which is on sort of circular driving route from Salta city. I, or rather my wife , will try and get our site up and running again and I will post a link. Any good travel agent should be able to source either a guided tour, a car rental + hotels of the area. You could easily spend anywhere between 3 and 10 days in the region and there are usually direct flight there to and from Iguazu.