Alaska Cruise August 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2021, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All we are going to spend our 30th anniversary in Alaska, We have also booked the Alaska Railroad Goldstar Service train from Anchorage to Seward to get to the cruise.
We are booked August 2022 on Radiance of the Seas out of Anchorage (Seward) Radiance of the Seas
Aug 5 — Aug 12, 2022 looking for suggestions
7 Nt Southbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier
SEWARD, ALASKA
JUNEAU, ALASKA
SKAGWAY, ALASKA
ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA
KETCHIKAN, ALASKA
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Thanks
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by andy11906
Hello All we are going to spend our 30th anniversary in Alaska, We have also booked the Alaska Railroad Goldstar Service train from Anchorage to Seward to get to the cruise.
We are booked August 2022 on Radiance of the Seas out of Anchorage (Seward) Radiance of the Seas
Aug 5 — Aug 12, 2022 looking for suggestions
7 Nt Southbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier
SEWARD, ALASKA
JUNEAU, ALASKA
SKAGWAY, ALASKA
ICY STRAIT POINT, ALASKA
KETCHIKAN, ALASKA
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Thanks
Congrats on your anniversary!
As for suggestions the best part of port stops in Alaska are the excursions. My suggestion is to look at what is offered and pick the one that appeals to you the most to get the best out of your experience.
We chose a copter ride in Juneau to Mendenhall glacier, the White Pass RR trip in Skagway, etc.
There are many to choose from so make the most of it by picking the tours that excite you the most.
All the best.
Larry

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 08:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In Juneau we did a whale watch cruise with a salmon bake (not this exact one but very similar) https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...au_Alaska.html It was absolutely great. (my cousin wasn't about to get in a helicopter so we just took a cab to the Mendenhall glacier visitors center - there are excursions from the ship as well) The Red Dog Saloon was a hoot. The tramway up Mt Roberts is walking distance from the Ship's mooring and was great and we were able to squeeze it in just before final boarding time. (cousin wasn't totally thrilled about the tram either ).

At Icy Straight Point we didn't take any of the excursions and just enjoyed relaxing on the pier, and eating crabs and craft beers.

Besides the train ride from Skagway there is a mini bus that does the same route if the train is too pricey.

Ketchikan has sooo many interesting excursions you really can't go wrong IMO plus all the historic bldgs, pubs etc.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:12 AM

Since you are starting in Seward, I would recommend going a day or two early and booking a night there. There are a number of trip reports about what to do in Seward or nearby before your cruise. I recommend checking the Major Marine website (majormarine.com). Often you can get as good a whale/wildlife/glacier tour from Seward by going to Kenai Fjords and then save Juneau for Mendenhall. I even did the short Resurrection Bay cruise the day of my departure, taking the early train from Anchorage.

Re Mt. Roberts, if you can't see the top of the tram, it isn't worth going up there. The weather in Juneau can be pretty gloomy in August. In Juneau take a white or blue shuttle bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. You would pay $45 round trip for the bus shuttles. Bring rain gear.

In Ketchican I recommend Totem Bight (it's a bit north of town) and walking around the old boardwalk.
Totem Bight State Historical Park Information
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 03:24 AM

I haven‘t been to Icy Strait Point but have seen several absolutely fantastic whale watching videos by various Youtube cruising vloggers. Next cruise I take to Alaska, I will make sure it is one that goes there.

In Skagway we liked the train trip.
In Ketchikan we saw the Lumberjack show and a show about totem poles and Klingit culture
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 09:08 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh my yes (!) the Tlingit culture show in Ketchikan was one of the highlights for sure.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Assuming things are "normal" (whatever that is) by next August, I'd suggest renting a car in Skagway and driving up the highway into the Yukon. (Avis is the only national chain with a station in Skagway but there might be some regional or local alternatives - do some research.) The driving is easy, the scenery terrific, and you can visit some sights like the "Carcross desert" outside Carcross, or go as far as the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town, a few km past pretty Emerald Lake. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/d5jPeBH2juagMqx19
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 01:42 PM

If you like museums, the Alaska State Museum in Juneau is excellent, but it closes at 4pm so don't take your time getting there.
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by bigtyke
I haven‘t been to Icy Strait Point but have seen several absolutely fantastic whale watching videos by various Youtube cruising vloggers. Next cruise I take to Alaska, I will make sure it is one that goes there.

culture
Our whale watch tour in Icy Strait was outstanding. And Mendenhall glacier in Juneau was beautiful.