clothing for Russia riverboat cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're packing for our riverboat cruise, St. Petersburg to Moscow, May 24-June 4. I packed sweaters to wear with jeans and slacks. But looking at the weather there now, it seems it may be warmer than I thought. I saw in my searches that avg. lows are in the 40's, highs in the 60's. But right now it's warmer than that, and we'll be there two weeks later. Would appreciate any input and advice. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM

we did Viking Moscow to St.Pete in October a few years ago, and it was exceptionally frigid. Sweatshirts, sweaters, zipper jackets, etc. Being Californians, we probably felt it more intensely than upper midwesterners or easterners. Mid-June should be comfortable, but even though you're within shore view most of the time. you'll find that walking the deck is a bit b-r-r-r. Some of the stops on that run are small, remote and wide-open towns and villages, adding to the wind-chill factor.

Whatever the weather, you will enjoy the trip and the stops...it was my fourth (3 official, one not) journey inside USSR and now former USSR...one of which was Uzbekistan (Uzbek SSR). That same river trip year, we went ahead independently to Belarus and Ukraine...not a day at the beach weatherwise. Bon Voyage!
stu
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:08 PM

I would definitely bring a jacket. Better to be overprepared since you will be on the water and you cannot rely on purchasing something on the cruise.
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelingnomad and tower. If you have a minute I'd like to list our stops and hear any tips, advice about them if you've been there. St. Petersburg, Mandrogi, Kizhi, Goritsy, Yaroslovl, Uglich, and ending in Moscow. We'll have included guided tours each morning at each stop, then the afternoons on our own. I've been told that the ballet in St. Petersburg is not worth the $221 U.S. pp since the top performers may be away for the summer performances abroad. Thoughts about that? Anything you can tell me is much appreciated. Thanks again.
Old May 8th, 2013, 07:12 AM

I have only been to Moscow. Mariinsky Ballet is one of the best, close to the Bolshoi in its spectacular reputation, but at $221 per person it sounds like a rip off. You probably can buy your own tickets, not through the cruise and it may be cheaper. They usually have different prices for locals and for tourists. I don't know how you would or could get local prices without local contacts. The top performers probably are out for the summer. Locals usually go to the theater in the cold winter months.

I don't know your other destinations but I am sure it will be a great trip. Which company are you cruising with?
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:07 AM

Be sure to bring umbrellas. It can be quite rainy. Also mosquito repellant. At Kizhi there were hoardes of the little beasts.
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

We're with Gate 1 on the Zosima Shashkov. Risking sounding really dumb here, but are there mosquito repellents, not aerosol, and will pass through airport security? We've flown quite a bit, but I've never taken mosquito repellant through. I did not have an umbrella on my list, but do now. Thanks for the tip.
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM

REI carried liquid mosquito repellent. Can't remember the name.
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:14 AM

In St Petersburg I highly recommend the Russian Museum (http://www.rusmuseum.ru/eng/home, it's a museum entirely of Russian art with an excellent English audio guide) and the Museum of Political History of Russia (http://en.polithistory.ru, very well curated in English and includes Lenin's office). We enjoyed both of those even more than the Hermitage and certain other "obvious" sites.

For mosquito repellent you can also find indivdually wrapped "towellettes". They come in a box of several each wrapped in a foil packet. (Like the "wetnaps" that come with KFC.) Just google and you will see. Can usually get at drugstores or similar in USA or you can order on line. What I like about them is they aren't liquid so they don't have to go in your quart bag through airport security. And you can just keep a couple in your pocket so that if you are out and about during the day or evening you aren't carrying the whole can or bottle.
Old May 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Such good advice and recommendations. Thanks so much to all of you.