Relaxing Island where you can bike around

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relaxing Island where you can bike around

I am looking for a warm caribbean island where you can rent a bike and bike to beaches, shopping, dining, etc. Like snorkeling too. Any ideas? I love St John but too hilly for biking.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM

Most of the Bahamas out-islands (can be cool in winter), Providenciales (Turks & Caicos), Anguilla, Barbuda, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are all relatively flat islands that you can easily bike around.

Of those, Bonaire has the best snorkeling but lacks great beaches and shopping.

Anguilla has the best restaurants and outstanding beaches but lacks good shopping (you can easily take a day trip to St. Martin for your shopping fix). There's some limited snorkeling around the island.

Providenciales has a fabulous 11 mile long beach, some good restaurants and a few shops. Barbuda has exceptional beaches but few restaurants and no shopping.

Aruba has very nice beaches, lots of restaurants and a decent amount of shopping and some snorkeling.

Curacao has good beaches, OK restaurants and some shopping. Snorkeling just OK.

Most of the Bahamas out-islands are very remote and while they have great beaches may lack the restaurants and shopping you are seeking.

If you found St. John too hilly then most likely St. Thomas, any of the British Virgin Islands (except Anegada which is very remote), St. Martin, St. Barts, Nevis, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, any of the Grenadines, Grenada, Dominican Republic and Jamaica will also be too hilly.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM

What month of the year are you thinking of traveling? Also, what do YOU mean by "shopping"- personally, I am not a shopper so to me, shopping on an island trip might be for an interesting locally made item to take home or even shopping for homemade breads, local fruits or other items for the house while I am there. Clarify, please.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 02:16 AM

runawayhill.com valentinesdive.com fun pretty small best beach

Stay with smaller flat islands for best experience...

Guadeloupe is where most cyclists go french vibe...

Grand Terre have done some touring there personally my choice

Very cyclist friendly lots of the big crowded islands are not

So choose carefully to avoid becoming road kill.

cheapcaribbean.com good deals...
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 10:13 AM

Anguilla is small and flat so easy for biking. When it comes to shopping, do like the locals - hop on the ferry to St Maarten - it runs like a bus service.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Thorough as always roamsaround - what do you think of the dining on Bonaire and Curacao?

Like the OP, I'm seeking bike-friendly, snorkeling, diving, and good food (local places to high end, but prefer the former). Some hills are ok, I see St Thomas was recommended in Biking Magazine but don't know much about it.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Oh, and qwo -- does the french vibe also mean good food on Guadeloupe? How's the snorkeling and diving?
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Dining in Curacao is pretty good. Not the best but above average. You could easily bike to town, Willemstad and then shop or eat there. There are plenty of places to eat. For good local food try Plaza Bieu. I dont know much about Bonaire. I have been there many years ago.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 06:00 AM

Hi maa27

Grand Bahama Island was flat as a pancake, relaxing and had a cycling path on Midshipman Road (I even cycled to the island's highest point, maybe a few hundred feet tall?) right near the busy Port Lucaya Marketplace area which has dining & shopping. I wouldn't have felt safe cycling in Nassau, but Grand Bahama at the end of the Midshipman Road path (near Fortuna Beach) the roads were practically empty, so I felt quite safe cycling on the roads alongside turquoise waters of Fortuna Beach--lovely.

Grand Bahama can be chilly though during the winter months (Dec- March) but warm other times of the year. It was in the mid 70s F when I went around New Year's but right after I left it dropped to the 60s F.

Best wishes and have fun whichever island you choose,
Daniel
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM

I think Barbados would be another good choice. I believe they offer bike tours too.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 12:35 PM

Also interested in this

Hello, I know this thread is old, but the original author was looking for a similar experience, I think. My husband and I rented junky old bicycles on Isla Mujeres and had the time of our lives. Way more fun that renting a golf cart. We are mountain bikers, so we are accustomed to challenging terrain and quick reflexes.
We don't care so much about "shopping" but rather shopping at markets, grocery stores, and liquor stores. We love beaches, fishing, and snorkeling.
We usually travel with only a small backpack each and seek out local establishments and cuisine.
We're heading to Culebra in a few days. Lonely Planet said you can rent bikes there and that it is great. I found out that the bike shop is closed and a local recommended against bikes?!?!! We found a place that will rent ebikes, but they are EXPENSIVE to rent (compared to cruddy Mexican bikes) and really, we like the exercise.
So, if anyone wants to recommend somewhere tropical and warm that will check my boxes, I'm all ears... or eyes in this case.