Tour to Australian

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour to Australian

Hey.

I am a first time poster here, just looking for some advice, hints, tips or suggestions on my travel plans

Myself and my girlfriend are planning to travel to Australia around April/May this year and are looking to gain as much useful information as possible.

Basically, we are open to any suggestions and advice, must see's, must do's... but also, as a first time traveller... what would, in your opinion, be areasonable amount of funds to undertake a 2 month trip (I'm aware that is quite a personal issue - as everyone spends their money differently) but I was just hoping for some ideas... as frankly I'm not sure.

We are more than willing to do some seasonal work whilst there, so any advice on that would be much appreciated. Can you suggest me how much it takes.

Thanks
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM

This might be of some use to you - if you think you want to do seasonal work, this could keep the costs down.

http://www.wwoof.com.au/

Lavandula
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:37 AM

Give us a bit more information about what you like to do, your interests and how you travel. Then we can respond sensibly.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Must visit the beaches of the Sydney and if you do not want to increase your expenses then stay in furnished apartments not in hotels. Because hotels are comparatively expensive...
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 12:20 AM

I agree with AlanJG in to answer fully any interests or pursuits you have could help us, but judging by you 'sign in' name bike touring and hiking may be some.

the Blue mountains are within a short travel time from Sydney (may be a bus tour?!?!?) yet are accesable after a (long) public transport ride - train mostly, and are filled with multi graded walks/hikes of differing length. Just be careful and aware of the sudden temperture changes (in all seasons) and the remoteness even though it is 'close' to Sydeney. Many people have ventured into the mountains ill prepared and paid the consequences.

bike tours are an option but may become expensive depending on the length of time and how much you will need to hire/lease from the tour company - sorry haven't travelled this way to give recommendations.

ForAustralia in general - again best to post you likes/dislikes in travel and attractions to help with that.
a really really general run down of the stats/territories....

NT (northern territory) vast, famous for the red centre of Australia yet has the amazing wetlands of kakadu and the city of Darwin in the north. two season wet and dry (don't hike or do too much in the dry at heat soars)

QLD (queensland) also vast diverse state. has the 'party and beach central' gold coast and sunshine coast yet has atherton tablelands and the lava tubes and the daintree rainforest and the great barrier reef...realy the list goes on....

WA (western australia) remote vast yet has gems like Broome, Perth and the kimberlies. known as the surfing, mining and one of the food/wine states ...again excuse as really general run down please investigate more

SA (south australia) again contrast flinders rangers, adelaide (markets are food heaven) sports, wineries investigate further

VIC (victora)
has great ocean road now if you had your bike (powered or otherise) even a car this is a niiiiceee drive, Melbourne grampians, wineries, snowfeilds old goldfields and phillip island (bike races) ...list goes on...oh and the victorian markets in melbourne food, clothes, wine music eveything must do!!

ACT (australian capital territory) Canberra - the capital, war memorials, the mint, the questacon (if you are a big kid like to experiment and investigate) parliment etc yes growing as a food and wine area too

NSW (new south wales) has Sydney and the bridge/opera house etc blue mountains the snowy mountains (actually near canberra) the nrth coasts and far north coast for beaches and attractions byron bay as the est most tip and again the list goes on....oh and the great southern drive on the south cost less 'extremes or diversity as queensland or a or nt' ie fron intense heat to coast to mountains but worth it..

mind you ill have to fess up NSW is my home state!!
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM

that was the general run down of the 'mainland' states...there of course is Tasmania...

TAS (tasmania) is really the 'natural state' or apple isle or the island state... any other name Tassie is the greenest state with national parks and people living together...Cradle mountain is almost centre and a great spot for nature lovers (climbers and hikers etc) with the famous overlander trek... cities of Hobart and Launceston rival for top foodie spot in the state and being a little smaller than the other states Tassie's attractions are easier to within reach. for history there is port arthur - not too far from Hobart and of course salamander markets in hobart on saturdays.

tassie on whole is for FRESH food and gourmet delights, nature, the locals and woodwork.

Launceston has the cataract gorge just minutes from the city centre and food/wineries around.

lots to see and do and can be reached by ferry from Melbourne or flights from any state capital
this is where King Island dairy (well on kind island to the north west of Tassie) and home to the famous sydney to hobart sailing boat race (can't spell yaught!! lol) finishing line

and then just islands off australia such as lord howe, the barrier reef islands flinders, kangaroo, toress strait etc
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 02:46 AM

Try http://www.tablelandadventureguides.com.au/ for your sort of adventure I am guessing as you still have not come back.