Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

8 or 9 day trip through New Brunswick -- HELP!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I an planning an 8 or 9 day trip from Portland, Maine where I live to New Brunswick via Campobello Island, Saint Andrews, Saint John, Alma, Sackville (maybe PEI if there is enough time) to Shediac and north on the Acadian coast at least as far as Maramichi if not further. We would return via Fredericton and Saint Stephen. Is this too much for 8 or 9 days? We don't like driving for long periods, I am thinking between 2-3 hours a day max. We are an older (60s) couple and one very large Bernese Mountain Dog. We are not big on hiking or other outdoor sports (though our dog is) and are mostly interested in seeing the scenery, experiencing the culture(s), taking photographs, and eating. We know from our last trip that finding pet-friendly accommodations in the Maritimes is quite easy. Any suggestions of routes to take, places to visit, places to stay and eat? We have been to Saint Andrews, Saint John, Fundy National Park, Cap-Pele, Shediac & Moncton previously.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give us
Marcia
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 02:53 AM

From Campobello Island you can take the ferry to Deer Island and then to the mainland of NB. Don't be concerned with "landing on the beach". It is an adventure and a way of killing a day without a lot of driving.

You mention Alma which is basically Fundy National Park.

Shediac is a lovely town with some great beaches and restaurants. Along the same shoreline there are some picturesque villages and the national park is outstanding.

The other area I would recommend is spending a night in St. Martin's just outside of Saint John. Some great walking trails that aren't hard and a good spot to walk your dog!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful tips. We spent time in Shediac during our last trip and liked it a lot and would enjoy returning. Right now I am torn between traveling east along the Fundy coast & then north on the Acadian coast, stopping in PEI if time permits & returning hone via Fredericton or doing a very different trip focusing on Campobello, Grand Manan, St. Andrew & St. Stephen -- and still returning home via Fredericton. I think it will have to be one or the other if we have less than ten days. What do you all think? SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME!

Marcia
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM

We really enjoyed Grand Manan several years ago which has an off-the-beaten track feel, although we're birders and naturalists and the main reason we went was to indulge these hobbies. Famous for boat trips to see whales and seabird colonies (both have to be in the right season and should be reserved well in advance so you'll have to do some research). There is some nice scenery on the island - e.g. towering basalt cliffs.

More recently we overnighted at Rodd Hotels and Resorts in Miramichi and were very pleased. Pleasant location, nice rooms, good restaurant. Nearby is Kouchibouguac National Park which we didn't have time to visit on our last trip although I visited many years ago - I remember vast stretches of uncrowded beach, dunes, marshes, bicycle and walking trails.

The Dunes of Bouctouche on the Acadian Shore also sound interesting for a visit, although I've only driven by, again didn't have time to visit on our most recent trip.

Have you done Nova Scotia in past? It has some spectacular scenery, but maybe your time limits whether you can fit this in on this trip.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Mat, thanks for the very helpful info. I am mapping out 2 different itineraries -- #1 keeps us relatively near the Maine/NB border for most of the trip (Campobello -> Grand Manan-> St Andrews -> Saint John-> Fredericton -> home via Lubec, Maine). I am just starting on figuring out Itinerary #2 which would be the Acadian coast, PEI, etc. This is where your suggestions will really pay off. We will choose between these two very different routes. We are limited by time and our preference not to drive much more than 3 hours a day, at most. That is why we are passing on Nova Scotia which we visited a couple of years ago.

Marcia
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 04:46 AM

Forgot to mention - last summer we stayed a couple of nights at Cliffside Suites in Alma. Absolutely stunning views and lovely suites.
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Hi Marcia,

I hope you have a wonderful trip, and glad that you are including Sackville on it!

I think it is possible with modest driving per day to do what you propose (although more time is always good).

I am not sure if you are considering The Fundy Trail (after Saint John go to St. Martins to start). It is a diversion which will add some hours, but is incredibly beautiful and I highly recommend it.

You mention photography, as well as the park itself and Alma I would highly recommend Cape Enrage lighthouse and along the way to that the vast Waterside beach (hardly known but an incredible place to experience the tides on a flat beach). The Rocks, as you will know from your last visit, is of course a great place for photos, as is the Sackville Waterfowl Park in Sackville.

I put together my personal recommendations for stops along the Bay of Fundy, that includes a fair amount of what you asked about, and it can be found on http://www.bayfundy.net and click on the second link Vacation Ideas.

Not sure exactly when you plan to come, but in terms of plans watch out for the days near July 30 when U2 play in Moncton at Magnetic Hill concert site (something like 80,000 expected) - I believe hotels in a wide area are all booked on the dates just before and after that, as was the case when Rolling Stones had 88,000 at same site a few years back.

I hope some of this helps, and you have a great vacation!

Bob (Sackville, NB)