Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix for Christmas- Where do you recommend???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2011, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
we are thinking about flying to Phoenix to spend Christmas before heading to Florida to take a cruise that leaves on the 2nd of Jan. We have been to LA, Vegas, San Fran, New York etc and thought we would choose somewhere we have not been before to have a stop off.
We will stop at Maui and Honolulu on the way home.
In the past we have had a white Christmas, so do not have to have that this time.
What is there to see and do in Phoenix? ( Is there enough for 4-5 days?)
Where would you recommend to stay?
What will the weather be like in December?
It will just be my husband and I.
We are in our 40's and enjoy seeing the sights, eating out, shopping and looking at great scenery etc
Look forward to your ideas
Donna
Australia
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:27 AM

Lots to do in and around Phoenix...do a google search....
don't know your budget, but there are some great resorts in the Scottsdale area.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:43 AM

www.visitsedona.com prettiest area around there.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:44 AM

Personally, I like Tucson better. It's an hour or two drive south of Phoenix and I think it is prettier, has more to do (it's ringed by beautiful mountains), and has an old town area with lots of history. Or maybe drive to Sedona.

I think Phoenix is just flat, dry, brown, big box stores and not all that interesting.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:56 AM

We have gone to Phoenix twice in the past 3 years at Christmas time. We stay at The Royal Palms Resort and absolutely LOVE it! It is a smaller resort [under 120 rooms] and is simply beautiful and you are treated "royally". The nicest staff, great rooms, an excellent spa, award winning dining room and on and on.

There is more to Phoenix than box stores and it certainly is not brown [I live in New Mexico, you want to see brown??]

The Musical Instruments Museum [the MIM]; The Phoenix Art Museum are 2 things we just did and we really like each one; we spent over 4 hours at the MIM and could have stayed longer. Lots of interactive stuff at the MIM which you'll both like. Art Museum is pretty cool, again both of you should like it.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen West is wonderful place to visit. {read Nancy Moran's book, "Loving Frank" first to really appreciate it} Not sure if she would enjoy it, you would.

http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...ale-and-tempe/

Desert Botanical Garden is great ... Heard Museum is excellent ...

http://www.dbg.org/
http://www.heard.org/

This should give you a start of something to do in PHX.

There are lots of great restaurants, jazz if you like it, and then there's hiking and other outdoor things to do.

You will have plenty to do for 5 days.

Deb
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 05:03 AM

I meant to add that the weather this past Christmas was less than ideal - it was pretty cool and it even rained one day! The other Christmas was mild and sunny.

There won't be snow, there should be sunshine, temps vary and it does cool off at night, so you need jackets. Layers work great.

The Royal Palms is just at the beginning of Scottsdale, a really nice area to stay.

http://www.royalpalmshotel.com/

Also, made a mistake in this:

"Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen West is wonderful place to visit. {read Nancy Moran's book, "Loving Frank" first to really appreciate it} Not sure if she would enjoy it, you would."

The city of PHX is large, sprawled out but it is ringed by some really nice mountains. Often people don't venture beyond the city and they miss some really awesome sites and places.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I will have a look at the sites and places you have listed.
We are in the early stages of planning this part. Our cruise is all booked and paid for and we are just organising our flights.
I will check out Scottsdale, Sedona etc.
Thanks for the Royal Palms web site debitnm, I will have a look at it.
Thanks again
Donna