Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Up to my elbows in visitor guides: Moncton, Nova Scotia & PEI in one trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the early stages of trip planning. We're thinking 12 days this summer (maybe a day or two less, depending on how we plan to get ourselves to Canada).

Here's what we're thinking so far:

Moncton 3 days to explore the Acadian and Fundy coastal areas
Halifax 3 days
Prince Edward Island 3/4 days

We'll be coming off our son's wedding and just want to explore and relax (although if we decide to do a road trip I don't know how relaxing that will be).

We do love the beach. If we increase our time on PEI, will we get bored?

I'm also not seeing any accommodations on PEI that are similar to the Marriotts located in Moncton or Halifax. Will I have a hard time finding something up-to-date AND around $200 CAD on PEI?

Thanks for any input.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Hi, my humble opinion is to spend all your time in Nova Scotia and P.E.I. Halifax itself has a lot to explore; Historic Properties, Citadel Hill, Public Gardens, Point Pleasant Park and the Art Gallery of N.S. as a few starter suggestions. Also outside the city see Peggy's Cove and continue to Lunenbourg - all big tourist attractions I grant you but really for a reason. (they're lovely)

You will not get bored on P.E.I. in the summer if you love the beach. (a 3.5 hour drive from Hfx to Charlottetown). Try the Dundee, Delta Charlottetown or Charlottetown Hotel for a similar quality hotel or if you like the beach, look into Dalvey or Stanhope Resort (situated inside the National Park) or the Inn at St. Peters' or the Inn at Bay Fortune. All within a reasonable drive of the capital (well Bay Fortune is further) but definitely all charming in their own right. If you're driving back to Hfx. try the ferry from Wood Islands to Pictou for a change up from the bridge.

Both N.S. and P.E.I. have great tourism websites and if you care to google any of these names they likely have their own individual ones as well.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
LJ

lucyp is giving you great advice...with 12 days (and a rental car?) you can see a lot of both NS and PEI...I am guessing that the wedding is in Moncton and thats why you are including Fundy from the New Brunswich side of things?

Definitely take the time to explore Halifax and the South Shore/ Lighthouse Route (beaches, whale-watching,and Lunenburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site) of NS before you head up to PEI...the beaches are lovely and, though PEI does not go in for many of the big chain hotels (like the Marriot), it has wonderful and charming resorts and inns.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 05:50 AM
BAK

In favor or Moncton -- first, it's pretty close to the end of the bridge to PEI.

Second, it's got the tides in the Petitcidic River, and the Hopewell Rocks, and Fundy National Park.

If you use Moncton as a base, one day in Moncton, and one day across the river and down past Hopewell to Fundy and back again should b e sufficient.

BEACHES: be carful. Watr is nice and warm (not Florida, but not bad, either, on either side of PEI and on the Northumberland Strait in NB, across from PEI. Otherwise, you'll freeze.

I'm of the belief that PEI can bore people after two days, but I'm not good at sitting around.

Can you tell us where you are coming from? That might help us plan a circle route so you don't retrace too many miles.

BAK
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM

Hi - we are planning a very similar trip (just posted my request for suggestions on the forum). What visitor guides are you reading (I picked the Fodor's Guide yesterday) - please do let us know if there are others that you like.

Also, among the tons of info I found online, I found the videos quite interesting - just google under the video category and there are lots. There's one particulalry interesting on Cape Bretton and another on PEI.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:07 AM

I don't think you should miss New Brunswick and especially the Moncton area. Moncton has a lot to offer and the weather in the summer is usually lovely. You are only a short drive to the Fundy coast, as well as the Acadian coast so getting around is pretty easy. Fundy park, Hopewell Rocks, Kouchibouquac Park, lovely seaside villages, lots of great fresh veggies, great shopping, water parks, etc. The very popular Parlee Beach is only a 15 minute drive from Moncton and has the warmest waters north of the Carolinas (not to be confused with the cold waters of the Atlantic ocean in Nova Scotia). If you love seafood then you will be in paradise..oysters, clams, lobster, fresh fish all readily available from either seaside take outs or if you prefer more formal dining. Moncton has it all.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM

I disagree about Moncton. I think it is a half day or overnight stay. Nova Scotia and Prince Edward island are prime!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Moncton is a priority only as a strategic location. In fact, I found Moncton to be more enticing in 1996 than it was in 2002.

With that said, if you have any way at all to see Hopewell Cape on your journey, you should do so... low tide for the first visit, and if you can will yourself, a 2nd pass at high tide. (I've hardly ever heard great suggestions (G-rated anyway) for what to do for six hours between high and low tides near there)

As stated, Moncton is also a reasonable distance from the bridge to PEI.

When I read the first post, and thought of three days in Moncton, I got a bad feeling. Moncton and its surroundings were great when I approached on the big freeway from Fredericton with very little gas in the tank.

We don't know how you're getting yourself to Canada either, so hard to tailor trip ideas to you.

I think I'd stay one night in Moncton, three on PEI, three in Cape Breton, three in Halifax... and perhaps one on the NS Fundy shore somewhere if you can add it.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the outstanding feedback. We're coming from NY and at first thought we'd take a road trip, but it's just too far to drive for the amount of time we have to vacation.

We haven't figured out where we'd fly into as of yet. I don't know what the best options are.

I picked up many brochures last week at a travel show we attended. Moncton really sounded interesting, especially Hopewell Cape and the coastal drives.

I'll have to do some more investigating on accommodations in PEI -- I am a little concerned about cancellation policies at the inns and B&Bs (a concern with having aging parents).

Thanks so much. I'll keep you posted when I know more.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM

The Hopewell Rocks are interesting, but one visit there won't take long. There are other places to see the tides, however unless you're seeing them in the same place at both low and high tide (about 6 hours apart), the impact isn't quite as dramatic. If you go to Hopewell only once, I would time it for low tide. Otherwise - although there are other scenic and pleasant things to do in New Brunswick, I personally agree with those who recommend focussing more on Nova Scotia and PEI. I'm moderately into beaches, but because there are some nice ones in Nova Scotia which also offers a huge variety of other attractions and activities, I tend to focus most of my time there. But I'm sure you would enjoy a few days in PEI. In Nova Scotia you could stay in Halifax and daytrip some of the "Lighthouse Route" from there, e.g. Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg. If time permits - Cape Breton is wonderful with the Cabot Trail, especially through Cape Breton Highlands National Park, being considered one of the top scenic drives in North America.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
BAK

Here's your schedule:

Compare it to your maps, and see if it works.

DAy one, fly from New York to Halifax, which is the maritime airport with the most flights from NY.

Rent a car at the airport.

Night one in Halifax

Night two in Chester area

Night three in Yarmouth

Night four in the Kentvbille, Windsor, Wolfville area

Night five in Moncton

Night six in Monction.

On the afternoon of day five, enjoy the scenery, etc. on the way from Nova Scotia to Moncton, including the marshes, the town of Sackvile, the border crossing near Amherst, etc.

On day six visit Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park and the town of Alma, and return to Moncton that night.

Night seven in Prince Edward Island

Night eight in Prince Edward Island

On day seven, you can see some of the New Brunswick coast along Northumberland Strait, see Shediac, see some small NB fishing villages, and cross the bridge to PEI

One day eight, visit Cavendish beach, see the other attractions, and find a lobster supper in a church.

Night nine in the Pictou, New Glascow, Antigonish area

Night ten along the Nova Scotia coast north-east of Halifax. This will involve a drive through some wilderness to get to the Atlantic coast.

Night 11 back in Halifax

Day 12, depending on flight times, you can see more of Halifax, or head for the airport.

The maritimes is bigger than people think, and the highways are not super-fast.

This plan involves a lot of driving, and you are still not getting to Cape Breton, or St. John and the St. John River Valley, nor are you getting up the NB coast.

But you will find each days drive managable, you'll see what's modern (not all that much) and you'll see fishing villages and farmland and historic sites, and you'll find some warm ocean water at beaches in NB and PEI. (I do not know where there's warm beach water in NS except near Truro)

BAK
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM

If you love the beach, PEI's Cavendish beach area is a great spot to spend some time. We stayed last year at Anne's Windy Poplars. Quiet housekeeping ottages with a small pool and hot tub just up the road from the national park. Your stay includes a free pass to the beaches. You are twenty minutes to Charlottetown. Down the road in Rustico you can take a "Fishing tour" where you can actually catch your own fish. It seemed to be very popular and busy. They also have a fish store right there on the pier.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great with all of the suggestions and information.

BAK, oh my goodness! I don't think we could follow your schedule (you must be under the age of 30, lol )

I think my husband would really enjoy a fishing tour.

Now we are thinking of using some free tickets (Continental) and if I am not mistaken, the only direct goes into Quebec City. We would then drive to Halifax, but that is all really still up for discussion.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
LJ

You are REALLY using up a lot of your time driving from Quebec City to Halifax (and back?)...I know that free tickets are appealing but what you are suggesting is an entirely different approach.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 01:29 PM
ltt

if you like beaches you won't get bored in pei over 4 days. going fishing out of north rustico is fun. cavendish beach is close by. check out greenwich park on the other side of the island. nice, flat, walking trail which ends at a beautiful beach. if the temperature is high, bring lots of water. there is no shade. http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-beaches-map
if you take the ferry to or from nova scotia, the terminal is by a very cute town called pictou which is worth a visit to look around. there is a provincial park close by called caribou/munroes and it has a nice beach.
i spent 3 1/2 weeks in nova scotia/cape breton and could have used another week (you don't have enough time to even consider cape breton). it is a beautiful province. be aware that driving times are slow there - calculate your mileage at about 45 mph on highways. if i thought a distance would take me 4 hours, it usually took 5+. you could easily spend 3 nights in halifax and do a day trip out to lunenberg/peggy's cove/mahone bay. (i'd skip the yarmouth and digby areas just because of limited time.)
considering your limited time, i'd probably just do nova scotia and pei (fly into halifax or there are some ferries that come up from the states landing in yarmouth but they are pretty pricey with a vehicle.
have fun. if you do new bruswick, i'd catch hopewell rocks at high tide first and then return for low tide. fundy national park is really beautiful as well as Kouchibouguac
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 04:26 AM
BAK

My schdeule was ntended to serve two purposes. First, it's a good tour, and if you followed it, you'd see lots, and not really be exhausted by the driving.

But second, it was to show you that the Maritimes is a big place, and you can't possib ly see it all.

BAK
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM
BAK

Back from walking the dog... I'm a long, long way from 30, and none of those segments is trying, other than sometimes youmight drive aftr dinner because you've spent a slow day looking around when it was still daylight.

DAY ONE
Fly to Quebec City, rent a car at the airport just because it's fairly easy there, and drive qaround Quebec City for a while, visit Montmorency Falls, and then leave town and stay somewhere along the south shore of the St. Lawrence.

NIGHT ONE; spmetwhere around St. Jean Port Joli.

DAT TWO: drive to Moncton, via cambellton, Dalhousie, Mirimichi, down the shore of Northumberland Strait. Long day's drive if you stop to enjoy the sights.

blah, blah, blah

NIGHT TEN - Moncton again, or Fredericton or St. John

DAY EVELVEN, drive up the St. John River Valley (near the Maine border) into Quebec province, turn left and continue to Quebec City, stopping at some of the small towns along the way.

NIGHT ELEVEN, Quebec City

DAY TWELVE; enjoy Quebec City until it is time to head for the airport.

Lots of people love the drive from Quebec City to Moncton, Fredericton or St. John, but I'm not among them, especially the St. John River route.

To me, you're sort of wasting two days getting back and forth from the QC airport to the NB and NS.

But it's not awful.

So your decision will have to be on the one hand, free tiockets and pretty good scenery, vs on the other hand, paid tickets (to Halifax, although Moncton would work, too), the elimination of two fairly long days of driving, often through forests or by farms that look like home, and more time for "coastal" scenery and heritage sites, etc.

BAK
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:43 AM

I still believe that Moncton is best for being central, among other things, to arriving from Quebec, or most places really. Halifax is only a 2-3 hour drive from Moncton, and PEI is also only a 2 hour drive . Hopewell Rocks about an hour, Kouchibouquac 1.5 hours, so everything is easily managed from Moncton. You could land in MOncton, spend 3-4 days seeing the Rocks, Fundy Park, Shediac and Parlee Beach (and searching out places that serve lobster) relaxing on the beach, hiking/strolling Kouchibouguac park, driving along the coast for some lovely views of the water (and more lobster). Then you could leave Moncton and head to PEI for 3 days. YOu could relax on the beaches, go see a play (Anne of Green Gables is delightful) , mosey along the waterfront in Charlottetown in the shops at Peaks Quay, take a drive to Souris and walk on the Singing Sands beach (the sand makes a noise as you walk on it). Just beautiful scenery over on the Island, not to mention driving over the longest bridge over icy water (not in summer though) in the world (don't quote me on that though). After 3 or so days on PEI head over on the ferry to Pictou and then drive to Halifax. This is a great city, the largest in the Maritime provinces, and has lots of activities, shopping, strolling on the waterfront. Don't miss Peggy's Cove outside Halifax as the waves are beautiful and mesmerizing to watch. Be careful though if the surf is rough as people have been pulled into the surf and drowned. Pay attention to the signs showing how close you should get to the water. If you wanted to spend a day going a little further from Halifax I would go to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. (down the coast )This is only about a 2 hours drive and you can stop in some beautiful little towns for lunch and to see the water up close. I have always found the water too cold for swimming but some people are more hardy than I am. YOu could also fly out of Halifax to get back home .
Keep in mind that the Maritimes look small on the map but you cannot possible see all 3 Maritime provinces in just 2 weeks..it would be exausting. It is better to pace yourself and see the highlites of each province and leave some room for future visits. As someone else mentioned , unless you are on the highways, the travel could be slow so you need to plan for that. But that is part of the fun of travelling , stopping in small little places and seeing things are not necessarily things that you would find on a map or in a brochure.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM

I think that the people advising Moncton must have lived there so are promoting it. It is a one night stop at best.
Halifax is a much more interesting place.
Moncton is a stopover not a destination and Ive been there many, many times.
Your days would be better spent doing the Cabot Trail, touring PEI, or doing the Annapolis Valley or Peggys Cove to Lunenburg area. These are all top notch tourist destinations.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
LJ

I am afraid I have to agree with irecommend...Moncton, while okay, is not a tourist destination like Halifax (at least 2 days), Peggy's Cove and the Lighthouse Route down to Lunenburg, via Chester and Mahone Bay and/or the Annapolis Valley (especially Digby the Fundy tidal basin, Annapolis Royale, Shelburne etc, rich in history).

Head for NS as soon as you can...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -