Vacations ideas

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacations ideas

Hi-
After a great trip to Upstate New York and Niagara Falls this past week, I am already starting to brainstorm my next summer's vacation. I will driving. Im looking for somewhere that is no farther than a 8-9 drive from the Washington DC area. But, i would rather somewhere preferably closer. I ve been all through the New England States especially Maine. I ve been south to the Outer Banks of NC and the Great Smoky Mountains on the other side of the state and Tennessee. I ve been through the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia a lot also. I ve been to Florida and i want to get back there and see the Everglades and the Florida Keys but thats too far to drive. Thats leaves me some choices. I have not been to the Adirondacks part of New York State. Nor have i seen much of Vermont nearby. Then, theres Pennsylvania. I have been around the state a fair bit. But, i have not been to the Pocanos and the Delaware Water Gap plus i haven't been to the Catskills Region of NY nearby. And two states i haven't been to at all are Kentucky and Ohio. I don't know much about these states and what there is to do there. Kentucky is a little far. But, ohio is actually pretty close actually. I know theres a national park called Cuyahoga Valley National Park near Cleveland and the Hocking Hills Region near Columbus. But, i don't know how much there is to do there. In Eastern Kentucky, theres Cumberland Falls and Red River Gorge, but it seems like Ohio offers similar scenery. So, Kentucky is a little far. I plan on spending a week somewhere or possibly splitting it between two places. So, my ideas are again:

Adirondacks NY/Vermont
Pocanos PA/Catskills NY
Ohio
Kentucky
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Lake Placid in the summer is a great vacation... Add Lake George and Saratoga and you will fill up your time...Have Fun!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I was actually thinking Saranac Lake if i go up there, which is pretty much the Lake Placid area. But, its a little farther than i want to go. Any other ideas about the other places i mentioned?
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Is there anything worth seeing in Ohio? It is close and i haven't been that state. Or is what i mentioned in New York or PA much better?
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM

The Hocking County area of Ohio has five state parks that offer scenic hiking. There are cabins and bed & breakfasts that are well regarded for accommodations and dining. There is canoeing in the area. You are 1.5 hours from Columbus and a little further from Cincinnati for more to do. Pittsburgh is not far out of your way on the drive over.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:04 AM

We went to Put-in Bay for a weekend and really had a great time, it is good if you like beaches, parasailing, jet skiing, camping and just generally relaxing in the lake area.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Not that I'm prejudiced as a Kentucky native, but KY is one of the prettiest states in the nation. Google Kentucky State Parks for a start, and then we have Mammoth Cave National Park, bluegrass horse country, reconstructed pioneer forts, Abraham Lincoln birthplace, cities and very rural areas, two restored Shakertown villages, the Corvette Museum near Bowling Green, Fort Knox Army Museum, and Louisville museums including the Slugger Bat Museum, Mohammad Ali, Frazier Arms, Churchill Downs, and the Speed Art Museum. Our scenery runs the gamut from the Appalachian Mountains to the Mississippi River. In the summer there are several regional outdoor theaters. Come for a visit; I think you will be back.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi
thanks for all your responses. No, i am not a big fan of beaches and water-related activities nor cities. We are mostly into outdoor activities and mountains/hills. carolyn- I would love to goto kentucky someday, but i looked up driving distance and many places there are a lot farther than i want to drive like Mammoth Cave, Cumberland Falls, etc. A couple ppl in my family have motion sickness and even a 8 hour drive is pushing it. But, im willing to drive up to 8-9 hours somewhere. But, i d rather somewhere closer. The Red River Gorge of Kentucky sounds awesome, but the Hocking Hills Region of Ohio, which is closer, looks like some of the same sort of scenery. So, Kentucky unfortunetly is looking a little too far, the Adirondacks of New York are pushing it and the Catskills/pocano regions of NY and PA and Ohio are looking close.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Hi Asdaven -

The Amish communities in OH and PA is very interesting and definately worth a visit. If you enjoy music, I recommend a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Hi again -

I forgot to add that you might enjoy Mammoth Caves in KY. Very neat!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi- Unfortunately, Kentucky is going to be too far. I would love to see Mammoth Caves or Cumberland Falls, but all too far for this vacation. But, will visit someday. Cleaveland, Ohio would not be too far. And it is right near to Cuyahoga Valley State Park. Have been to the Amish part of PA, but not the Amish part of Ohio. Only place i have not explored yet in PA is the Poconos. The Delaware Water Gap NRA sounds interesting in that region.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Ohio Stuff - There are a couple of good threads on here re: Hocking Hills as well as Put-in-Bay & Kelleys. - www.hockinghills.com, www.kelleysisland.com, www.ohioslargestplayground.com, www.germanvillage.org, www.shortnorth.org, http://www.ohioparks.net/, http://www.heartofohio.com/
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM

This is funny as I'm from Ohio but live in Wash DC now, and I wouldn't think of Ohio as a vacation destination, in particular. If you just want some moderate hills and camping, it would be fine, though. But a lot of things people think are really exciting in Ohio are nothing at all if you live in a big city or have been to one (like Short North in COlumbus). Ohio is really just not that interesting a state for a vacation.

I really like the scenery and outdoors in West Virginia a lot better, but I guess you've been there. Northern Ohio is kind of out if you want something shorter than 8 hours drive. It takes about 8 hours to drive from Wash DC to Columbus, I do it about once a year. So that leaves SE Ohio to be closer. I guess Hocking Hills is your best bet, but I bet it takes you 7-8 hours to get there, although I don't know how you plan to go, but just don't see a quicker route. I go across 68 through W Virginia and then head north at Morgantown up to Wheeling and go west on 70. I don't think you can get to Hocking Hills from DC except from there and then going south into the area with fewer main freeways.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM

A more direct route would be 70/79/68/50/93. Yahoo says a little over 6 hours (DC to Hocking Hills). I-70 would take you well north of your intended destination. Christina, I'd be curious to know what 'big city' you are referring to ? Columbus has about 120,000 more residents than DC. Sorry you didn't take advantage of the parks & outdoors of Ohio, when you lived there...
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Cleveland dosen't look that far, only like a 6 hour drive. Cuyahoga Valley National Park is there. But, it is surrounded by two huge cities. But, looking at pictures and stuff, even though there is stuff to see there, I have been many spectacular places, and i don't want to say it is not beautiful, but i ve been to similar places. I have not been to Ohio before though. I have been to West Virginia. The Hocking Hills sounds interesting, but again i ve seen similar places like in West Virginia. I don't like cities unless there is a famous landmark (i.e. New York City or Washington DC). Im more of a outdoors person. The Adirondacks of New York are sounding like the place for me.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

But, then again, whats there to do in the Adirondacks other than hiking? We like to hike, but my folks have developed arthritis problems, so we can do some hiking, but it is much more limited to short hikes like 2 miles or less and more sightseeing from the car and of course attractions. I am considering Ohio again because of this. Plus, i was just in New York State this summer, even though the Adirondacks are in another part of new york state.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Kentucky would be a drive from DC, but not that much more than Adirondacks if you kept to the eastern half...one feature down there that gets little pub becuase it is remote is Breaks Canyon, down along the KY-VA border. Its the longest and deepest canyon east of the Miss and is quite a sight. Just hard to get to since it's all back roads thru very remote SW VA. The Natural Tunnel down there sounds ho-hum, but it's actually incredible. Not really the tunnel itself, but the huge bowl-shaped 400 ft chasm that just opens up out of nowhere. They have a chair-lift type thing that can take you to the bottom of the chasm-active CSX train track runs thru it so you can't go in the tunnel. Actually, when I was there a train rumbled thru and the sound of it echoeing and bouncing off the chasm walls was really wild. Then there's Cumberland Gap and Kentucky. Lot of National Forest besides what carolyn mentioned. And Abingdon, VA is a nice town to stop in on the drive from DC.

Just throwing things out there...
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM

And actually asdaven, if you do end up in The Adirondacks (and do not go before mid-July at the earliest due to black flies) the summit of Whiteface Mtn near Lake Placid, which you can drive up ($9) and then take an elevator to the top, has the most stunning 360 views imaginable. Just jaw-dropping. I was there and it was clear and you could see 70+ miles into Canada. Plus you can pay $25 for a 20 minute airplane ride over the High Peaks wilderness. (or maybe it was the other way around, can't remember). Also, the Au Sable Chasm and the High Falls Gorge. Your folks could manage those without too much problem, I'd think. There are a few stairs, but nothing excessive. Ferry across lake Champlain to Burlington, VT, etc.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

That sounds good, but if i took a week, i don't think there is enough to do to spend the whole week in Lake Placid. One, we are still active people even though we can't hike a lot. And Two, the Adirondacks is a big region and you can't really just base yourself in Lake Placid. Whiteface Mountain is what i really want to see in Lake Placid. High Falls Gorge and Ausable River both cost, they look similar so probably one or the other. As far as the ferry, like i said one of my folks has motion sickness and a boat would be very bad or a drive over 8-9 hours.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Im stuck between Ohio and the Adirondacks. Which place probably has more to do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -