Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

from Chicago to New Orleans and after a resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! we are planning a 2 weeks trip with our 2 daughters (15 & 16) from Chicago to NO
We don't want to drive more than 3hours at a time .What should see,where to stop.....
Do you think it's a good idea ?

After that we are planning to rest a week somewere on a beach , do you know a resort suitable with 2 teens (like a "clubmed'),we can take a plane from NO

Thanks a lot
And as we say in Paris,France AU Revoir!
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:28 AM

No offense to all that live there, but the land between Chicago and New Orleans isn't that exciting. It is mostly all farming.

I would check Southwest Airlines and others and try to find a cheap flight between the two cities because Chicago and New Orleans in themselves can each be a week long destination. They are both great cities with tons to see.

For the resort, the Caribbean offers tons of them.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:36 AM

We've driven this route MANY times. The most direct is I-57 & I-55, but my suggestions on that or other possible alternative routes would depend on what are your interests, likes, dislikes, big v small towns, history, nature, etc? And when you say 3 hrs at a time, does that mean until you want a break like for lunch, or to spend the night?

If you could provide some more details, I'd be glad and try and help.

As for the resort, I'd suggest the Florida Panhandle area of Destin, such as the resorts of Sandestin, or Seascape. Google Destin and you should turn up lots of options.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM

I agree with Kellie as far as the direct route is concerned (believe me, I know). But I was also thinking that there are some routes that could take them, for ex., through the covered bridges and excellent state parks in southern Indiana, the bluegrass and horse country of Kentucky, Mammouth Cave in Kentucky, the music and food scenes in Nashville and Memphis, the Natchez Trace which is a beautiful drive, the history of Vicksburg and Natchez and the Cajun country outside of New Orleans. I just didn't know what there interests were.

Yes, I did overlook the flying out of NO - so the Caribbean, Mexico and Cayman Islands would be some great choices.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks ,
In fact when we travel we usually drive for about 3hrs,and then stop for the night.In fact,we like big and small towns as well as nature(lakes,countryside..)
In fact we thought of Stlouis,memphis and/or Nashville ...
Thank you
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:37 AM

If you're thinking of St Louis, you might also want to consider the Ozark mountains of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas - really beautiful. That would take you a little west of the other places I mentioned, but you could continue down to Natchez and Vicksburg and then Cajun country in Louisiana before New Orleans.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:51 AM

My favorite area of the Missouri Ozarks is around Bagnell Dam, Osage Beach, Lake of the Ozarks. It would be a very nice side trip for you on your drive from Chicago to NO. It would be less of a diversion from your route than it would be to go to Branson, MO. Southern Illinois also has its own "Ozarks" but not quite as nice as central Missouri IMO.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:07 AM

@ 3 hours a day it will take you the better part of a week to even get to Nola. I think your time would be better spent flying to Nola & exploring from there. You can still easily get to Cajun Country, Natchez, Vicksburg, etc. easily from Nola. W/only two weeks, I don't think you want to waste half your time meandering through America's heartland.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:44 AM
MAP

Nanaisfrench,
I live in Missouri, and I must agree with the others that you might want to cover more territory each day driving from Chicago - St. Louis - Memphis - New Orleans. I think you would have about 6 hours drive between each destination, so if you wanted to stop after 3, you could, but there isn't much. The Lake of the Ozarks area is off your track if you take I55 from St. Louis to Memphis, and it really isn't a wonderful stop for just one day. Traffic in summer is horrendous through the area, and most of it is "kitchy" hillbilly shops and outlet stores. There is one EXCELLENT restaurant (get the batter fried lobster,onion rings, and house salad) called The Blue Heron.

In Memphis, be sure to stay downtown near the river. The Peabody Hotel is lovely but expensive. I have heard a good economical choice downtown is the Comfort Inn, but it will be basic.

New Orleans will be great, and I would stay on the French Quarter or within a block or two of it. I can give you all sorts of info if you want as we have been 10 times or more and just went this May.

My very first choice from New Orleans would be to stay in the United States and drive 4 - 4 1/2 hours to the Destin area, but drive on through to a charming area called Seaside, which is half way between Destin and Panama City. The website is www.seasidefl.com . It is very special and your girls would love all the activity. The beach is beautiful beyond words, and there are many places to eat along 30A highway. You can rent your own house, big or small, and the entire little town is mostly pedestrian....casual and unique. I can also give you more tips about the area if you are seriously interested. Was just there in May of 09 for our 12th trip in the last 25 years or so.

You can fly into Ft. Walton or Panama City and connect through Memphis or Atlanta on major airlines if you are flying in or out of Chicago.

Now, all the above information assumes you plan to travel sometime soon and before the fall when the weather in the Florida Panhandle area gets chilly for swimming in the ocean. You will have to go further south to be sure of nice beach weather.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:48 AM

The best route for sightseeing is vis interstate 55 through St. Louis. I agree with others - it is a boring drive from chicago, but the stops will make it worthwhile. A stop on the way could be Springfield, IL, where you'll find Abraham Lincoln's home and tomb and a fabulous Lincoln museum. Outside of town is New Salem, a rebuilt log cabin village where you can see how Americans lived in the 1800's.

In St. Louis, there are many attractions. Popular sites include the Gateway Arch, the zoo - one of the best in the country, the Botanical Garden and the Cathedral Basilica. St. Louis was settled by the French (Pierre Laclede) and the statue of King Louis IX in front of the art museum is one of our most iconic symbols. Also of interest to French visitors is Sainte Genevieve, an hour south of St. Louis and just off Interstate 55. This town was also settled by the French and has French colonial homes from the 1700's. The scenery from St. Louis south 120 miles or so is much nicer than the first part of your trip. After that is delta country - flat and boring to Memphis.

Memphis is about 3 more hours south from Sainte Genevieve. Visit Graceland - the home of Elvis Presley, and Beale Street, known for it's music venues. Memphis is also famous for its barbeque restaurants. Between Memphis and New Orleans, you might want to visit Oxford, recently named one of the 10 most charming towns in the U.S. Vicksburg is another possible stop. Jackson is the biggest town along the way, however I can't recommend it as a tourist destination.

Seaside Florida is a good suggestion. However if you wish to visit the Carribean, I recommend the Riviera Maya region (Playa Del Carmen is the largest town). The RIU all-inclusive resorts are very nice. While there, I also recommend a visit to the Mayan ruins in Tulum. Perhaps the best choice, though, might be the French Caribbean - Martinique or St. Barts.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM

ttt for rox