Feedback needed on Iceland, Greenland and Faroe Island Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip for our 20th anniversary in August. We want to experience Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands and have 2-3 weeks. We have been working with a travel agent and have put together a tentative itinerary. It will be about $9000 a person.
I would appreciate any feedback /thoughts on the itinerary and whether this is too ambitious for one trip

Thanks!
8/04/09 - Depart New York JFK on Icelandair
8/05 - Arrive Keflavik Airport in Iceland. Change to Air Iceland flight to Ilulissat in Northwest Greenland. Transfer to hotel, info meeting and welcome dinner. Overnight: Hotel Arctic, Ilulissat

8/06 - Breakfast at hotel. Optional tours. Overnight: Hotel Arctic, Ilulissat
8/07 - Breakfast at hotel. Optional tours. Overnight: Hotel Arctic, Ilulissat
8/08 - Breakfast at hotel. Transfer to airport. Return flight to Keflavik Airport, Iceland (afternoon arrival). Private transfer into Reykjavik and to hotel. Overnight: Hotel Holt (or similar), Reykjavik

8/09 - Breakfast at hotel. Full day Golden Circle glacier tour by super jeep (small group). Overnight: Hotel Holt, Reykjavik

8/10 - Breakfast at hotel. Day on own in Reykjavik. Overnight: Hotel Holt, Reykjavik
8/11 - Breakfast at hotel. Morning Puffin Tour by boat (with hotel transfers). Afternoon transfer on own (taxi) to Reykjavik downtown airport (RKV) for 5:15pm flight on Atlantic Airways to the Faroe Islands. Airport transfer to hotel. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn

8/12 - Breakfast at hotel. Half day excursion to the Vestmanna bird cliffs and Viking settlements at Kvivik. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn

8/13 - Breakfast at hotel. Tour by coach to top of Sornfelli (749m) with fantastic view over the islands - an unforgettable sight. Tour continues to Kollafjørdur, back to Torshavn via Kollfjardar Tunnel and Kaldbaksfjord. Dinner in Torshavn. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn

8/14 - Breakfast at hotel. Airport transfer. Morning flight back to Reykjavik (RKV). Pick up rental car at airport (4WD automatic), drive to Hvalfjordur. Overnight: Hotel Glymur Resort

8/15 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive to Snaefellsnes Peninsula and explore. Overnight: Hotel Budir (or similar) on Snaefellsnes

8/16 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive to the West Fjords. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel
8/17 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Continue exploration of the West Fjords region. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/18 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Continue exploration of the West Fjords region. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/19 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive to the north of Iceland. Overnight: Kea Hotel, Akureyri (or similar)

8/20 - Breakfast at hotel. Exploration of area by car. In evening, Grimsey Island excursion (or could be done on 8/19). Overnight: Kea Hotel, Akureyri (or similar)

8/21 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive to Lake Myvatn for exploring. Overnight: Myvatn hotel (Reykjahild or similar)
8/22 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive to Akureyri, drop off rental car at airport. Air Iceland flight Akureyri - Reykjavik (a few flight times available). Transfer on own to hotel. Overnight: Hotel Arnarhvoll, Reykjavik (or similar)

8/23 - Breakfast at hotel. Full day tour, South Coast & Glacial Lagoon (with stop in Vik). Overnight: Hotel Arnarhvoll, Reykjavik

8/24 - Breakfast at hotel. Blue Lagoon excursion, with continuing transport to Keflavik Int'l Airport. Return flight on Icelandair to JFK.

Est. package price per person: $9,283.00

Option B
8/03/09 - Depart New York JFK on Icelandair
8/04 - Arrive Keflavik Airport in Iceland. Private transfer into city & hotel. Afternoon Puffin Tour by boat. Overnight: Hotel Holt (or similar), Reykjavik

8/05 - Breakfast at hotel. Full day Golden Circle glacier tour by super jeep (small group). Overnight: Hotel Holt, Reykjavik

8/06 - Breakfast at hotel. Full day tour, South Coast & Glacial Lagoon (with stop in Vik). Overnight: Hotel Holt, Reykjavik

8/07 - Breakfast at hotel. Much of day on own. Afternoon transfer on own (taxi) to Reykjavik downtown airport (RKV) for 5:15pm flight on Atlantic Airways to the Faroe Islands. Airport transfer to hotel. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn

8/08 - Breakfast at hotel. Half day excursion to the Vestmanna bird cliffs and Viking settlements at Kvivik. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn

8/09 - Breakfast at hotel. Excursion today to the island of Sandoy with many interesting sights and traditional Faroese life (incl. transport, guide, boat trip, lunch). Back in Torshavn, enjoy 3-course dinner at restaurant in evening. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn

8/10 - Breakfast at hotel. Day on own in Torshavn. Overnight: Hotel Hafnia, Torshavn
8/11 - Breakfast at hotel. Airport transfer. Morning flight back to Reykjavik (RKV). Change to domestic Air Iceland flight up north to Akureyri. Pick up rental car (4WD automatic). Overnight: Kea Hotel, Akureyri (or similar)

8/12 - Breakfast at hotel. Exploration of area by car. In evening, Grimsey Island excursion. Overnight: Kea Hotel, Akureyri (or similar)

8/13 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive to Lake Myvatn for exploring. Overnight: Myvatn hotel (Reykjahild or similar)
8/14 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive at leisure to the West Fjords in NW Iceland. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/15 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Continue exploration of the West Fjords region. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/16 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Continue exploration of the West Fjords region. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/17 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive to Snaefellsnes Peninsula and explore. Overnight: Hotel Budir (or similar) on Snaefellsnes

8/18 - Breakfast at hotel. Return to Reykjavik at leisure. Overnight: Hotel Arnarhvoll, Reykjavik (or similar)
8/19 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive to Keflavik Airport this morning and drop off rental car. Depart on morning Air Iceland flight to Ilulissat in Northwest Greenland. Transfer to hotel, info meeting and welcome dinner. Overnight: Hotel Arctic, Ilulissat

8/20 - Breakfast at hotel. Optional tours. Overnight: Hotel Arctic, Ilulissat
8/21 - Breakfast at hotel. Optional tours. Overnight: Hotel Arctic, Ilulissat
8/22 - Breakfast at hotel. Transfer to airport. Return flight to Keflavik Airport, Iceland (afternoon arrival). Transfer by hotel shuttle to accommodation by Blue Lagoon. Overnight: Northern Light Inn, Grindavik

8/23 - Breakfast at hotel. Blue Lagoon visit on own (walk or shuttle from hotel, entrance fee not included). Transfer by hotel shuttle to Keflavik Int'l Airport for Icelandair flight in afternoon back to JF
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM

Sorry, I can't comment on the itinerary (except that I'm jealous) as I haven't been, but I wanted to say you might find it interesting to pick up the book 'Collapse' by Jared Diamond. He has several chapters devoted to Viking and Norse societies in this part of the world, as well as commentary on current environmental and societal concerns. Might make for interesting background reading!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM

ellayneg,

You ask a question that can't be answered because only you know what you want to achieve and what style of travel you prefer.

Some people like to dash round ticking lists and spending a lot of time travelling. The approach my wife and I use is totally different as we like to take our time and actually see places. Personally speaking we would never consider a trip like the one you are suggesting.

In recent years we have been to Faroe, Iceland and Greenland. In 2006 we took our car from UK on the ferry (no longer running) and spent a week in Faroe and just over two weeks in the eastern third of Iceland. In 2007 we flew to west and south Greenland for nine nights and in 2008 to east Greenland for seven nights. The pace of those suited us. You may be very different.

Bear in mind that Iceland alone merits three weeks or more.

Weather conditions in Greenland and Faroe can mean that planes and boats get delayed. Sornfelli (and all of Faroe) can be in cloud. Having more time in those places can improve the chance of seeing some better weather.

If you really want to do more than Iceland I would be inclined to cut out one of Faroe or Greenland. Of the two I would cut Faroe. Faroe is lovely but may seem a bit tame after Iceland. Greenland is totally different.

But that's just a personal opinion. You know what you like.

There are links to some sites of those trips we made at:

http://homepage.mac.com/wasleys

The east Greenland trip site will be added soon.

Michael

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the comments! Thank you Michael for your honest opinions and advice. I had actually found your site prior and had looked at it- it was quite helpful in planning our trip.
Your photos are beautiful! My husband's hobby is photography so he is quite excited about the trip.

We wanted to be able to see all three places on this trip while understanding that each destination could warrant the time frame all by itself. We enjoy a combination of lots of activity and then slower pace traveling. We tried to build in some free time and not necessarily be in a different hotel every night.

We are well aware of the possibility of bad weather and are hoping that with at least 2-3 days in both Greenland and Faroe- we will get to experience the beauty.

We spent 28 days in Australia and New Zealand 7 years ago and were not able to take the helicopter to the glacier due to poor visibility and waited 3 days to be able to fly to Milford Sound ( so worth it!) so we anticipate that there will be some disappointement due to issues beyond our control.

We figure if we love either place so much then we can always return another time!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi ellayneg,

given the parapemters of the trip you have planned, I prefer Itinerary one; if nothing else you get to stay at the Glymur which is one of my favourite hotels of all time! [posibly because we stayed there after one of the worst nights I'eve ever had on a holiday!]

Generally the distances you are trying to cover in option A seem more doable than in B, with the exception of your day tour to the glacial lagoon and Vik and back - that's a loooong way - 5 hours drive each way! [I know - we did it, and we were staying closer to the lagoon than you will be].

the western fjords are wonderful, but the roads are something else. make sure that you take the extra insurance that covers damage to the underneath of your vehicle. do you know about the ferry from stykkisholmur to baldur? [on south coast of the western fjords]. it takes about 3 hours, but cuts approx 8 hours off the road journey. also there are whale watching tours out of olasfvik, further west along the peninsular. we saw a pod of killer whales on t hetrip we did with them.

if you search this forum under my name, you can find my trip report on our tour of Iceland last summer called "around Iceland with a cucumber".

do come back with any queries,

regards, ann
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Others will have detailed advice/info.. My comment is more about the plans in general.

IMO it is always a BIG gamble to plan a whirlwind itinerary when almost every location/site is totally weather dependent.

Many times I've been places (like N. Scotland, the Orkneys, etc) when the day I arrived had gawd awful weather but w/i a day or two things cleared up. So if I had only scheduled site A for 9:00 - 10:30 on Tuesday morning -- I would not have seen a darned thing. <u>Nothing</u>. But by 4 pm on Wed. the views were magnificent.

So all these &quot;Breakfast at hotel. Drive to xyz&quot; bits may mean you see nothing ---
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM

ellayneg,

janisj is quite right.

In Faroe they say &quot;If you don't like the weather wait fifteen minutes&quot;.

In Iceland we were told &quot;Iceland doesn't have a climate it has samples of weather&quot;. This was proved when on consecutive days in the same place in June we had 20°C + duststorm then 0°C + snow.

In Ilulissat the first word you will learn is &quot;immaqa&quot; which means maybe. (In the east they say &quot;upa&quot; which means the same but without the same degree of certainty).

So try to keep as much flexibility as you can. Plan excursions to the weather rather than a schedule.

In Faroe have you considered hiring a car? That would give you more flexibilty in terms of when you go where. It might also let you decide where to go for better weather; if one side is cloudy and wet the other side of the hill may be dry and even sunny.

Michael
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the comments and advice! I have always found this site to be the most honest and helpful.

We have some more details now about the Westfjords experience along with hotel options:

1 - Glymur Hotel

2 - Stykkish&oacute;lmur Hotel

3 - Fl&oacute;kalundur Hotel

4 - &Iacute;safj&ouml;r&eth;ur Hotel

5 - Gauksm&yacute;ri guesthouse

6 - Harpa Hotel for 3 nights.

&quot; The reason why I put in Stykkish&oacute;lmur Hotel instead of B&uacute;&eth;ir is that the Ferry goes from Stykkish&oacute;lmur at 9 am in the morning. It takes about an hour to drive from B&uacute;&eth;ir to Stykkish&oacute;lmur and they have to be there about an hour before the ferry leaves. So then they would have to go from hotel B&uacute;&eth;ir at 7 am. But it´s no problem to change and have B&uacute;&eth;ir instead of Stykkish&oacute;lmur - just let me know what they wish to do.

As well, it is no problem to have one night in Reykjahl&iacute;&eth; hotel [Myvatn]. I would suggest they do that then the last night and stay the 2 nights in Akureyri - then they do not have to change hotels every night.&quot;

And we can do that last night in Myvatn instead at Hotel Reykjahl&iacute;&eth;.

So, if we change to this:

1 - Glymur Hotel

2 - Hotel B&uacute;&eth;ir

3 - Fl&oacute;kalundur Hotel

4 - &Iacute;safj&ouml;r&eth;ur Hotel

5 - Gauksm&yacute;ri guesthouse

6-7 - Kea Hotel Akureyri for 2 nights

8 - Hotel Reykjahl&iacute;&eth; in Myvatn (1 night)

8/14 - Breakfast at hotel. Airport transfer. Morning flight back to Reykjavik (RKV). Pick up rental car at airport (4WD automatic), drive to Hvalfj&ouml;r&eth;ur. Overnight: Hotel Glymur Resort

8/15 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive from Hvalfj&ouml;r&eth;ur up to Sn&aelig;fellsnes and spend the day there. Overnight at Stykkish&oacute;lmur (just to the north of Snaefellsnes)

8/16 - Breakfast at hotel. Take the ferry from Stykkish&oacute;lmur at 9am over to Brj&aacute;nsl&aelig;kur. Use the day for exploring South of West fjords - overnight at Fl&oacute;kalundur.

8/17 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive up to &Iacute;safj&ouml;r&eth;ur and spend the day exploring that area. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/18 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive towards Akureyri, but stop at Gauksm&yacute;ri and overnight there. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/19 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive to Akureyri - Daytour to Gr&iacute;msey in evening - Overnight at Akureyri

8/20 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive towards M&yacute;vatn and spend the day there - overnight at Akureyri.
8/21 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive towards H&uacute;sav&iacute;k and spend the day there (optional whalewatching) - overnight in Akureyri

The numbers 1-8 refer to the days in the itinerary i.e. 8/14 is hotel 1- Glymur

I really wanted to stay at Hotel Budir- I know it will make the drive longer to the ferry but I have heard great thing about it.

Is it worth it?

Also opinions about 3 nights in Akureyri vs 2 nights in Akureyri and then 1 night in Myvatn at Hotel Reykjahlid?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM

hi again, ella,

based on our experiences, I would tweek your plans a bit.

&lt;&lt;8/14 - Breakfast at hotel. Airport transfer. Morning flight back to Reykjavik (RKV). Pick up rental car at airport (4WD automatic), drive to Hvalfj&ouml;r&eth;ur. Overnight: Hotel Glymur Resort.&gt;&gt;

there is very little at glymur besides the hotel, though that IS very nice. you could easily see the golden circle sights on the way, with the possible exception of Tingvellir if you wanted to explore it in full. we spent about 4 hours there which included quite a long walk, so you might find a day plenty for all three. Gullfoss and Geysir take no longer than 1 hour each, and the drive is 90 minutes or so from REykjavik to Glymur. otherwise, you might want to explore Borganes or something else en route.

&lt;&lt;8/15 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive from Hvalfj&ouml;r&eth;ur up to Sn&aelig;fellsnes and spend the day there. Overnight at Stykkish&oacute;lmur (just to the north of Snaefellsnes)&gt;&gt;

as you have 2 nights on thepeninsular, why not spend one night at the Budir, and one at Stykisholsmur? the 2nd day you could do a whale-trip out of olasfvik and then stay the night at Stykisholsmur, ready for the 9am ferry.

&lt;&lt;8/16 - Breakfast at hotel. Take the ferry from Stykkish&oacute;lmur at 9am over to Brj&aacute;nsl&aelig;kur. Use the day for exploring South of West fjords - overnight at Fl&oacute;kalundur.&gt;&gt;

to enable you to spend longer on the Snaefellsnes peninsular, and stay at the Budir [which again looks very nice, we didn't stay there] why not take the 3pm ferry? this makes staying at Flokalundur much more sensible.

otherwise, I would not recommend it - there are much nicer places further west [their situation i mean] and the hotel itself is just about OK. the food was not much to write home about and very expensive, apart from the fish and chips which were first class.

if you decide to get the 9am ferry, you would have plenty of time to work your way towards the bird cliffs and stay near-by there. there is a guest-house about 5 miles east of the cliffs where we got free coffee!!! [I'll have to look up the name] but the ox-tail soup we had for lunch as about &pound;10 each. you can't win them all.

NB -do book the ferry on-line. there's bit of a discount and it was very busy - I wouldn't have wanted to turn up on spec as it's a very long drive if it's full.

&lt;&lt;8/17 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive up to &Iacute;safj&ouml;r&eth;ur and spend the day exploring that area. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel

8/18 - Breakfast at hotel/guesthouse/farmhouse. Drive towards Akureyri, but stop at Gauksm&yacute;ri and overnight there. Overnight: guesthouse/farmhouse/small hotel&gt;&gt;

I can't help you with the rest as we never got that far. we heard very good things about isalfjordur and wish we'd got there. the bird-cliffs far out to the west are noisy and smelly in equal measure, but it doesn't matter when you're nose to nose with a puffin. there are supposedly some spectacular waterfalls at dormeryi [spelling?] north of the bird cliffs and there are lovely coves and beaches all the way round the coast, though not much else [I hope that you aren't night-clubbers!]

I think your trip is shaping up well, and hopefully Iceland wil be a bit cheaper this year!

regards, ann

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Ann! I just ned some clarification on your comments:

&lt;&lt;8/15 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive from Hvalfj&ouml;r&eth;ur up to Sn&aelig;fellsnes and spend the day there. Overnight at Stykkish&oacute;lmur (just to the north of Snaefellsnes)&gt;&gt;

as you have 2 nights on thepeninsular, why not spend one night at the Budir, and one at Stykisholsmur? the 2nd day you could do a whale-trip out of olasfvik and then stay the night at Stykisholsmur, ready for the 9am ferry.

***Are you suggesting we stay 8/15 at Budir and then 8/16 at Stykkisholmur and take the ferry on 8/17 and continue the drive to Isalfjordur on that day and skip the overnight in Flokalundur?

Otherwise I don't understand the comment about having 2 nights on the peninsula-can you clarify?***

&lt;&lt;8/16 - Breakfast at hotel. Take the ferry from Stykkish&oacute;lmur at 9am over to Brj&aacute;nsl&aelig;kur. Use the day for exploring South of West fjords - overnight at Fl&oacute;kalundur.&gt;&gt;

to enable you to spend longer on the Snaefellsnes peninsular, and stay at the Budir [which again looks very nice, we didn't stay there] why not take the 3pm ferry? this makes staying at Flokalundur much more sensible.

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM

hi ella,

sorry if I confused you! reading your itinerary again, it looks as if you have alowed yourselves only one night, not two, on the snaefellsnes peninsular - i misread it the first time.

so you have a two choices - head for the 9am ferry and stay in Stykkisholmur, [which we quite liked, BTW] missing out the Budir or stay at the Budir and get up very early or get the later ferry.

whichever you choose you need to be at the ferry at least 30 minutes before it leaves and it must be a good hour's drive from the Budir to the ferry port, perhaps more - the hotel will know.

apart from the whale-watching trip we did not have a good experience of the snaefellsnes peninsular which we didn't like much, but it rained and we were in a foul mood after the dreadful night we'd passed in a dreadful self-catering hut! the glymur went a long way to rectify this so it's a very good choice, and I suspect the budir is similar.

on balance I think that were I you I would opt for the budir and the 3pm ferry - it'll give you more time to see what there is to be seen [which is generally admired, except by us!] and you can enjoy the hotel, which is not cheap. [i always resent rushing away from expensive hotels!]

instead, get an early start from Flokalundur [Icelanic for Raven I think - look out for the two stuffed ones over the kitchen door in their restaurant] and stay the next night somewhere in the western fjords. one good thing about Flokalundur was the breakfast, which I seem to remember was included in the price of the room.

apologies again for misreading your itinerary,

best wishes for your trip,

regards, ann
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM

I just want to jump in for a minute and say that it has been a childhood dream of mine -- since I was 10 and saw a National Geographic magazine article in 1975 -- to visit the Faeroe Islands. I cannot wait for this trip report. I hope that one day I'll be able to go and fulfill my dreams. Until then I'll live vicariously through you.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying Ann! We decided to stay at the Budir and still do the 9:00 AM ferry- we figure there won't be alot of sleep on this trip anyway!
Here is the updated itinerary-instead of Flokalunder we are staying at the Guesthouse Breidavik which I have heard is very nice.

8/15 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive from Hvalfj&ouml;r&eth;ur up to Sn&aelig;fellsnes and spend the day there. Overnight at Stykkish&oacute;lmur (just to the north of Snaefellsnes) [alternative: Hotel Budir on Snaefellsnes]

8/16 – [Early] Breakfast at hotel. [If staying at Budir, one hour drive, then…] Take the ferry from Stykkish&oacute;lmur at 9am over to Brj&aacute;nsl&aelig;kur. Use the day for exploring South of West fjords - overnight at Guesthouse Brei&eth;av&iacute;k

8/17 - Breakfast at guesthouse. Drive up to &Iacute;safj&ouml;r&eth;ur and spend the day exploring that area. Overnight: &Iacute;safj&ouml;r&eth;ur Hotel

8/18 - Breakfast at hotel. Drive towards Akureyri, but stop at Gauksm&yacute;ri (about 50 km SW of Bl&ouml;ndu&oacute;s) and overnight there. Overnight: Gauksm&yacute;ri guesthouse

To hikrchick- happy to have you live vicariously through us-hope the trip does not disappoint either of us!

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM

hi ella,

well at least you'll be making your early morning journey in daylight - the sun rises at about 2am in august.

when we arrived in Iceland in mid July, it barely got dark at all.

I like the revised itinerary and I'm sure you'll enjoy the chance to stay near the bird cliffs.

regards, ann
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Hi Ella,

I just looked up the Breidavik on Google, and it IS the place I spoke about earlier with the free coffee and expensive soup. they advertise themselves as the most westerly bar in Europe, and they're not wrong!

Definitely a good place to stay in this area - next to the most beautiful beach, and about 5 miles away from the bird cliffs.

regards, ann
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

That's great news!! I read about it in Frommers (lol) and it is one of his picks. I am so excited about the trip!

Interestingly our travel agent is in Iceland this week for a conference so we hope he comes back with some new ideas/tips!
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM

<i>they advertise themselves as the most westerly bar in Europe, and they're not wrong!</i>

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If they're in the west of Iceland they're on the North American tectonic plate, not the European plate.
;-)
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:31 PM

OK Wasleys,

I should have spotted that, especially as we actually walked between the plates at Thingvellir.

but technically, I think that the whole of iceland still counts as europe. I don't think that they are planning on one half joining the EC and the other half becoming the 51st [have I got that right?] state.

regards, ann
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Hi ellayneg,

Without wanting to throw a 'spanner in works' at this point IMHO I would omit the North of Iceland and Lake Myvatn. We spent two weeks in iceland last July/August and spent the final 3 days in this region. It's not that it isn't worth the visit (we had a great day at the gardens in Akureyri,the town, Lake Myvatn (and the midges!) and plenty of evening hill walking and horse riding) but based upon your timsecales I would spend more time in the other regions.

When I get more time I'll post you some of the highs and lows of our trip to Iceland and see how these could work around your dates.

Ted
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ted- I would love to get your recommendations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -