Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Road Trip Phoenix to Oregon...where to go??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am moving (with my roommate and my dog) from Phoenix to Oregon. We are leaving April 22 and have two weeks to kill before we can move into our new place. We plan on camping a lot and just exploring. Definitely doing the Grand Canyon part of the way. Where else do you enjoy? Not sure even which route to go...this is all very spur of the moment! We are very flexible as to how we do it, just want to see all we can and stay on a reasonable budget too Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Not sure what part of Oregon you are headed to, but I just did this drive with my sons who moved back to Western WA. We drove from Phoenix through Wickenburg to Kingman and Las Vegas, then up through Utah on I-15 as far as Ogden where you head over to Idaho and then the Blue Mtns of Oregon. We took the Columbia Gorge route because of bad weather predicted in the Cascades.

I LOVE the scenery of Southern Utah east of St. George - Bryce and Zion are beautiful and the road that comes up the east side of the mountains from Kanab is a pretty drive north.

It can be cold at this time of year still, but it was nice and warm when we went through.

For some bizarre reason, gas seems cheapest in the west in Utah. $2.29/gal in Ogden. Nearly $3.00/gal once you get to the west of the Cascades.

What I love about this route is that it is not I-5. Driving the western states a lot in my life, I find that whenever I can avoid I-5, the better the trip is. If you have two weeks, my suggestion is to come up through Utah, or even 395 along the eastern side of the Sierras through Bishop and maybe a stop in Mammoth. Gorgeous country. You could even stop in Reno and see if you hit it big
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Darbyvt,

Congratulations on finding a position in Oregon. I agree with the previous poster that this is a wonderful time of year to see Utah---as well as the Grand Canyon (we just returned from a 5-day trip there). You might want to reserve a campsite at the GC south rim---it was full when we were there last week. Also, remember that your dog is not allowed on any trails in the national parks (campgrounds are OK). But you may want to routte more through national forest campgrounds if you want to hike around with your dog.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM

If you feel the need for a hotel that accepts dogs and is not a budget breaker-look for La Quinta. They don't charge a fee for dogs and the rooms range around $79-
Congratulations on the move!
Oregon weather is improving..just in time for your arrival
On our drive here from the East coast, we went through Utah/past Salt Lake City..Utah is just amazing and I wish we could have spent more time there..
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Camping might be a little chilly in places like Bryce, but do-able with good sleeping bags.

I'd suggest Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, scenic hwy 12 to Capitol Reef National Park. All of which have excellent campgrounds. Last week was still spring break for many areas so I'm betting you will be able to get into the Mather Campground at the S. Rim. I'd call as soon as you have a date and try to make a reservations. The N. Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed until mid-May.

If you find you like these kinds of areas and since you have two weeks, you might want to take a detour to Moab, Utah and explore Arches and Canyonlands National Park.

Utahtea
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I'm getting so excited, thanks for the tips so far! We drove through Arches on our way to California from Virginia last summer, I'd love to go back there. My roommate has mentioned Bryce and Zion too. I have a friend in Salt Lake City, is that too far out of the way in Utah? What about Yellowstone, how far out of the way would that be to go?

Also, thanks for the tip on La Quinta. I'm a little worried about doing this whole adventure with the dog, I was fostering him and finally just agreed to adopt him, hoping it will not be too hard camping and stuff with him. Can we at least enter the parks, just can't take dogs on the actual hiking trails?

Finally, what about Havasu Canyon, does anyone know about that? Is it open? Thanks!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, and I'm moving to Portland.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM

You go right through Salt Lake City if you are driving up from the Las Vegas area on or near I-15. Then you could go west from there towards Reno and the Sierras or up through Idaho towards Boise and into the Blue Mountains towards Pendleton. Then it's a straight shot into Portland from there.

Lucky you to have two weeks - you'll enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM

WE drove in on I 84 which goes right by Salt Lake City, I am not sure of other ways to go.
We drove across the country with a big dog, it is easy. They sleep in the back seat and get up once in a while and stick their heads out the window..they adjust so easily to what we do, you should have no problems. Just one tip-I took water jugs with our water from "home"..and his regular food. No need to risk stomach upset on a car trip.
Just stop often enough for breaks and water. We did not drive after dinner, so we would take him for a long walk and he would sleep when we did.
He is a good boy

Portland is extremely pup friendly, you will be happy here ~
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Havasu is open and should be great this time of year (I was there some years ago in May, and it was quite hot). There is a campground there too; you need to contact the tribe for a hiking permit and campground reservations and fees. I'm not sure about the dog---but if they will allow you to bring him it would be a good choice and a great experience for all of you. It's a nice hike down----not as far as hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon---but very spectacular.

As for the national parks, dogs are definitely allowed into the park, and can stay at the campgrounds. It is the hiking trails where they are not allowed. I don't know if this would apply to the rim trail, however; we certainly saw dogs there in the vicinity of the hotels. It's not a wilderness trail, so maybe they would be allowed. We did see "no bikes" signs on it, and no "no dogs" signs.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 05:20 PM
TheWeasel

The problem (as I see it) is what to do with your dog while you're exploring. You can't take him/her on the trails, and you can't just leave him in the tent or car.

You're not allowed to take pets down to Havasupai (Havasu Canyon). I don't think it'd be a real great idea even if you were allowed - it's an 8 mile hike. Unless your dog is physically up for that, it would be pretty tough on him. Keep in mind, his/her feet don't have shoes to protect them.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Most of the roads into Yellowstone will be open by the time you get there.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/or...l/roadopen.htm

The problem will be only the Mammoth Campground will be open.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/cal_locale.htm#Mam

If you go to Moab that will add 200 miles more to your trip and if you add the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone area it will add about another 500 miles.

With 2 weeks you should have enough time to spend two nights and one full day at the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, two full days in the Moab area and 2 - 4 days in the Yellowstone area and still make Portland.

Dogs are not allowed on the trails in the national parks but they are allowed in the parks and in the campgrounds on a leash. Hiking will be a problem.

There is a kennel at the S. Rim: http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/south-rim/pets.htm

Zion area: http://www.doggyduderanch.com/rates.html

I read that there were no kennels within 80 miles of Bryce

Moab area: http://www.gomoab.com/kennels.html

Outside Yellowstone: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/rules/petregs.htm

Utahtea
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM

darbyvt......If you are moving from Phoenix to Oregon and have a couple of weeks to kill I would suggest using the time to have your head examined
8-)
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM

man, that would be a whopper of a drive east just to get to Portland.
The 395 route is doable and beautiful, as is 95 from LV up to Reno. Lake Tahoe is stunning. You could take 89 to Mt. Shasta and come up through the Cascades. Depends on how sick of the desert you are. Me, I love pine trees and mountains, but there is an overwhelming desert
NP faction on this board.
At least in the Sonoran Desert there are plants, not just rocks. Why not come up and explore your new home before you start work?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow, where do you people come up with all this information??? Thanks for more tips, especially the dog kennel ones. I agree that some of the stops although I want to do them may be too far East for this trip. I have friends in Salt Lake so if we can work that in and Grand Canyon and go from there....we'll figure it out. I love Lake Tahoe, I'd be happy to go back there for a few days!

The problem with going to Portland early is I don't have a home, I have to be out of my place in Phoenix and can't move in until two days before my new job, makes things a little crazy when you have everything you own and a dog in your car And Jamaltay--you're right, although I had to get my head checked once when I moved to Phoenix from San Diego! I figure it's all only for a few months each time so I am bound to enjoy it--the closer I am to the coast the better though!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Well, if you make it to SLC, you could be adventurous and come I 80 west to Winnemucca, then take 95 to Denio Junction and head west on OR. 140 till you reach civilization, (wonderfully beautiful), or head up towards Steens Mountain and Frenchglen-
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_3.php
...or you can take I 84,as has been mentioned.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM

<<I'd suggest Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, scenic hwy 12 to Capitol Reef National Park.>>
A great idea. Utah is breathtaking!

Yosemite in California is another option. If you've never been, you have to go eventually. It's gorgeous! The drive through central California is sort of boring, though.

You can even do Bryce and Zion, then drive north and enter Yosemite from the eastern gate.

Have a great trip!
dina
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Ok so we are leaving Monday and plan to stay with a friend in Salt Lake on Saturday. So...we want to hit Grand Canyon, particularly Havasu falls and then (any other must do's in Grand Canyon? We'll be camping most likely).

After that we'll head up to Utah, from what I can see it looks like we go up the 89 and head over to the 9 and hit Zion and then head to I 15 to get North to Salt Lake. Is Bryce too far out of the way? What would be the best plan to fill between Grand Canyon and Salt Lake (I don't have very good bearings for Utah yet sorry!)
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Ok so if it comes down to having to choose between Zion and Bryce, which one? We will head to Salt Lake from there....
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Ok one more question. Our tentative plan is to drive up to Grand Canyon, camp a little ways out, maybe Ten-X, drop the dog off and the kennel the next morning and then head to Havasu falls. Hike down there and camp one night (two nights needed???). Then come back, get the dog, drive to and camp on the North Rim and then head on to Utah. Is this feasible? Thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -