July Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the weather in early July? And where's the best place to stay for a honeymoon of relaxation on the beach and adventure tours. We'd like to stay at a place with reasonable prices and a good restaurant and maybe a spa. We don't really want to do any driving around? Is that too much too ask for?

By the way, we are also bringing along our 2 year old daughter who will be accompanied by an aunt or two to babysit. With that in mind, it would be nice to stay in a place with AC and with convenience. Is there any babysitting at any resorts?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Even though Costa Rica is a small country, it does not have a uniform climate. So when you ask "How is the weather in early July?", the response is likely to be "It depends on where you go." In the Central Valley (Arenal and Monteverde), the "rainy season" starts in mid-April or May. But in Guanacaste and the Nicoya Peninsula, the weather should still be very good in July. If you are just looking for a beach, I suggest you look at Playa Samara or Playa Nosara on the Nicoya Peninsula, or Playa Conchal, Playa Ocotal, Playa del Coco or Playa Hermosa further north. I prefer Playa Samara (or nearby Playa Carillo), but I'm sure others will have their own favorites.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking into affordable eco-lodges and I came across Bosque del Cabo in Puerto Jimenez. Has anyone been there before? It looks really good, but are any of these places run by Costa Ricans?

Does anyone know what the weather is like in Puerto Jimenez in July?

Thanks.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:15 AM

A tip - Type in Bosque del Cabo in the search section at the top of the page.

There are many of us on this board that love Bosque. You will get lots of info.

We have never traveled to CR in July, but you could also type in July and search the CR forum to see what you get.

Also, you can type in any of the beach locations that rbrazil suggested and find some good suggestions to start your search. Look at a map and locate these areas. As I understand it - Typically in the rainy season you will experience less rain the farther north you go. But many report only a few afternoon showers in many places.

Since you have requested AC, just thought I would say that BdC does not have AC. It is run by Americans, not Costa Ricans, although the staff is made up of locals. Fabulous place. Can't answer about July.

I think you may be struggling with the type place you want to stay. Are you looking for a beach resort (large or small) with small town nearby or a more intimate place far from a town? Looking for a a jungle setting or on the beach setting? And how many nights do you have?

One more thing BdC would require an in country flight. It would be quite a drive.

rbrazill has given you some good locations to research if you are looking primarily for beach.

Hope that helps a little! Ask anything.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 04:40 AM

dfarmer,
You stayed at Villas Kalimba in Samara if I remember. Sounded like a really nice place. Possible spot for them?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Iza

I think I would advise against Bosque del Cabo with a young child without AC in July. We went to Lapa Rios (same area) a few years ago in August and while the rains were passing and short lived, it was incredibly and uncomfortably humid the whole time we were there.

I think Villas Kalimba in Samara is a great suggestion. Another option would be a place in Manuel Antonio (say, Tulemar Bungalows). It sounds also like Malpais/Santa Teresa would fit the bill (Florblanca is fabulous but on the expensive side, Tropico Latino may be a better option). For best weather in July, the northwest beach towns would be your best bet: Tamarindo, Flamingo etc. In Tamarindo, I would recommend Capitan Suizo. You may also want to check Sugar Beach Hotel.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their threads. We are getting so close to July and I still haven't made any decisions about the honeywoon. I'm a little worried, and I really appreciate everyone's help.

rbrazil:
You mentioned that the North is great to visit in July because it's drier. Does that mean it's less humid as well? People have said that there are afternoon showers, but can they be cooling or just plain hot and humid. It makes me a little sad to know it will be too hot and humid in the south b/c from what I was reading the Osa Peninsula is the place to go if you want to experience the best of CR ... esp. wildlife. And as far as the many beaches you mentioned, do any of those have a nice, affordable eco-lodge with jungle activites nearby?

dfarmer:
From what I gather, it wouldn't be pleasant to stay at Bosque in July b/c there's no A/C, and it would be too humid for our 2 year old. We are considering the North...Manuel Antonio..any eco-lodges out there on the beach? We are looking to stay on the beach in an eco-lodge with jungle activities nearby. We have 5 or 6 nights and don't want to do much traveling.

Iza:
It sounds like it won't be comfortable at Bosque in July. I really love the sound of that place. Thanks for the suggestions of other places to stay, but I don't think any of those places that you mentioned are eco-lodges on the beach. Are they?

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Iza

Unfortunately, none of the places I listed is an eco-lodge on the beach. There aren't really any of those outside of Osa Peninsula. I think that with a 2 year old you don't want to be in a place that is as remote as Osa anyway (some of the lodges out there do not accept children below 5 for safety reasons).

I think you should really consider a place like Manuel Antonio or one of the beach towns in the northwest.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM

I too, am planning an early July honeymoon in Costa Rica next year. I'm curious where you ended up staying. We would like to enjoy relaxation on a beach as well as adventure tours. I heard about rainy season. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Manuel Antonio is a really popular beach destination - it has activities like ziplines and mangrove tours, as well as loads of wildlife in the park like monkeys and sloths, and a really pretty beach inside the park as well, good restaurants. We really prefer to go to the Osa because it's less developed, but if you want something easier and more convenient, check into Manuel Antonio.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Check out Buena Vista Villas in Manuel Antonio. We're not going till next yr (already have our reservations) but I believe it has what you're seeking.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 06:29 PM

jenny, we went to MA last July, and it did rain every day, but only in the afternoons. You learn to do activities early in the day and then venture out for dinner after the showers have ended. MA was really hot and humid, so if possible, I'd try to get a place with AC.