Help-1st trip to New Providence/Nassau

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help-1st trip to New Providence/Nassau

My husband & I are planning on touring all of New Providence and Paradise Islands by rental car. We plan on stopping at beaches & villages off the "beaten path". Is there any place we shouldn't go? I read one message that said tourists were being accosted at Blackbeard's Tower - is this true? What advice have you got for first-timers?
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:52 PM

I would not bother with a rental car, it is more trouble than it is worth. You can get just about anywhere on island by jitney (local bus) and not have to deal with driving (on the left), traffic and parking with is non-existant.

If you are staying on PI, it is pretty walkable, and Cabbage Beach, the beach there is one of the best in the carribean. You can easily get to Cable Beach on the jitney from the straw market downtown, take the #10 bus to the Raddison or the Nassau Beach Hotel and hang out there for the day, Cable Beach is also a very pretty part of the island.

Good shopping downtown Nassau and some very good restaurants in the area as well.

Make a point to see the Ardastra Zoo and Gardens and the Queens Garden, in the same area, also accessable on the #10 bus.

Hope this helps, have a great time.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
TG

Been to New Providence 3 times staying at Compass Point each time. Never rented a car - used jittney, convenient and cheap. I would suggest you take a sail boat trip (Barefoot Sailing has a nice trip to Rose Island). We really enjoyed the trip we took and got to see the beauty outside of the hustle bustle of the Nassau/Cable Beach area. Have fun.
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TG. Any & all info is helpful.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to the people who replied to my message. Irregardless of whether we rent a car or not, can you tell me if what I read about visiting Blackbeard's Tower is true - should we avoid going there.
Also, are there any places, including beaches, we shouldn't go to.