Best backpacker accomodations/islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling w/ a friend to Fiji at the end of August. We will be there for 2 weeks and would like to explore a few different islands of Fiji...primarily to enjoy water & land sports (diving, snorkelling, hiking, etc.) . Since we are on a more restricted budget, does anyone have any recommendations on less expensive places to stay or what islands cater to more of a backpackers budget? Also, how easy (costly) is it to travel between the islands via boat/ferry? Thx.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Jess, you're not having much luck with this post, are you? I have to tell you the bad news - all Fodorites (except for yours truly) are filthy rich and don't know anything about restricted budgets, and I'm too old to lift a backpack. Have you tried www.lonelyplanet.com's Thorntree forums? Good luck!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Like Neil, I'm also not 'filthy rich' and I always travel on a restricted budget. Unfortunately I've never been to Fiji. Lonely Planet might be a good place to check for info. I have to say I'm not crazy about their Australia forum, but some of their other forums are really good (LP Mexico Thorntree, for example, is much better than Fodors forum), but you can probably get better budget information over there.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:59 AM
ALF

I'm not filthy (or even remotely grimy) rich either, and I have spent time in Fiji, on a budget. There are several backpacker-style hostels in Nadi, on the main island of Viti Levu. We liked Sundowners, which will give you a private room for a bit more money, and had a nice patio with a bar and a local band. A fairly comprehensive list can be found at the Web site listed below.

If you like hiking, you might want to consider taking a guided 2-3 day walk through the hilly interior of Viti Levu. There are various agencies in Nadi that can book this for you. We stayed in small villages each night, and it was a wonderful experience.

Outer islands that have budget-priced accommodations would be the Yasaway Group, Taveuni and Kadavu. It is possible to take a ferry from Suva to Kadavu; also you can take a ferry to Viti Levu, then another to Taveuni. With the exception of the Viti Levu to Vanua Levu run, these ferries do not go very often, so you have to time it just right.

The diving in the Somosomo Strait, between Taveuni and Vanua Levu, is some of the best I've ever seen.

Here is a good Web site:
http://www.fiji-backpacking.com

I also agree that Lonely Planet is a good place to get low budget advice.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Other good Fiji websites include:
http://www.fijiatoz.com
http://www.fijiguide.com
http://www.southpacific.org
http://www.mapsouthpacific.com
http://www.fiji4less.com
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM

jess- I AM filthy, but not filthy rich...

Anyway, my daughter went to Fiji on a school trip to build houses last summer. They stayed at a place called the Crow's nest. The kid's said it was wonderful and apparently they have everything from dorm beds to villas. They were on a tight budget, so it must have been reasonable.

Type in Fiji Crow's nest on google and it will come up.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:40 AM

Best beach in Yasawas-Oarsmans Bay Lodge on Nacula island. Check out www.fijibudget.com-I'm sort of rich but not all that filthy and my time lolling in the warm waters off Oarsmans were some of the best of my life. The food is lousy but the beach is glorious.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:32 PM

A few years back, I did a 4 day sailboat trip with Captain Cook Cruises. It was like an adventure camping trip. The snorkelling was fabulous, and everything (except drinks) was included on the trip.
It was a great way to see more than one island, and was a whole lot less than a blue lagoon cruise.
check out the sailing safari on the Captain cook cruises website.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses so far. I am thoroughly glad that there are NON "filthy rich, too-old-to-lift-a-backpack" Fodorites out there whom are willing to take the time to respond with actual helpful information. I will look into all your recommendations and any more that may come. Thanks!