Side Trips from Buenos AIres

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Trips from Buenos AIres

Okay...

Trying to think economical, but also trying to think that Iguazu, Patagonia, and a beach town, and a night or two in an estancia would be nice. 19 days total. WOuld like advice on how many days to spend in each place. Specifically...

1. Which beach should i go to, Punta or Mar del Plata? If so, how do i get there + since these beaches aren't of Hawaii or Carribean from what i hear, i shouldn't stay more than 2 days ya think?

2. Ushuai or Patagonia? and if so, how long here??? Cold and a completely different set of clothes to bring... Two days? Worth it?

3. Iguazu falls... Must See? 2 days or 3?

4. Any recommended estancias near buenos aires?

i am planning on getting an apt in buenos aires around the palermo viejo district for about 190 US Dollars. sound good?

thanks so much and am so excited.

poogene!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:07 AM

Hi Poogene, let me see...
Question no. 1, if you go during their Summer the best beach near Buenos Aires, in my opinion is Punta del Este in Uruguay. Linked by air, it is less than an hour. This is a very exciting resort with beautiful beaches. Different from Hawai but very nice + lots of things to do.
2. Never been in Ushuaia so I do not know. The lake region Bariloche, Villa La Angostura etc is awesome and certainly merits a visit. A few days at least.
3. Iguazu Falls is in my opinion a must see. Two days minimum.
Regarding the apartment,how many are you? How much are you paying? 190 dollars for how many days?
Many Hotels are inexpensive and good . I go often to Buenos Aires and prefer hotels to apartments because it is easy to eat out and I like it. Of course if you prefer apartments I guess there are many out there to be rented.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hey there Graziella5b!!!

Are you just a kind natured soul that helps everybody out?!??! I think i love you... Been reading a lot of your comments. Allrighty then.. my girlfriend and i are going nov 18 - dec 4... someone told me it will still be cold and the beach is not the best idea- but then i heard that it is uncomfortably hot in about three weeks. is this for real?

how would i do the lake region? is it only by plane? iguazu is only by plane correct? i can do punta i know by hydrofoil+bus in 5 or so hours.

the apartment is a spacious apartment all to ourselves in palermo viejo for a week for 190 dollars for the both of us. apts are really good deals, but of course there is no maid service...

http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propv...ew=678&bookit=

Thanks so much!

your humble servant...

p o o g e n e !
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Hi poogene,
I guess I am like anyone else in this forum, I enjoy sharing. I might be wrong sometimes but I happen to travel a lot, both for work and personal reasons, and hate when people take advantage of other people. I suggest or recommend what I honestly think is a good choice.
Having said that, in my experience, the weather when you are planing to go is a toss up. Wait and see . You do not have to reserve ahead of time .
Do not go to Mar del Plata, not worth it.
The apartment seems a very good deal. The general area is full of new little bistros, cafes and boutique shops. Should be fun for yu and your girl friend. Lots of young people too.
If you have time to spare , ferry + bus is a better deal than flying, ..in a way is good too because the bus will leave you in downtown Punta del Este while the plane leaves you at the airport which is far.
It is better to fly to Iguazu and the Lake Region , but they have buses too which I do not recommend. Traveling by air is reasonable, cheaper in comparison than flying to Uruguay which is expensive for such short flights.
Another option is taken a plane to Montevideo and a bus from the airport to Punta del Este.
Hope you have a lot of fun. Be alert in
both countries , use a lot of common sense and also a money belt.
Take care.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 07:06 AM

I would say that Iguazu is a must see. It's an incredible natural site that defies description. Truly amazing. Have not been to Ushaia, but did love our time in Patagonia. We went to Calafate for a few days and thought Perito Moreno Glacier was fantastic. Lots of calving (chunks of the glacier breaking off and falling into the water) The sound is incredible. Also did another day trip to Upshala glacier that was very cool. We really enjoyed it. Definitely colder and would need different clothes. We actually found Bariloche to be the coldest place we went. And met people who'd been to Ushaia and said Bariloche was far colder. Beautiful town on a great lake, but the wind really was brisk coming in off the lake. We went to Punta for several days and I think you could take or leave it. Nice beaches. Very relaxing. We did it in the middle of a month long trip with kids and it worked out well. The water is not as warm as Hawaii or the Caribean, nor as spectacular. It was a very mellow nice place to hang out but expensive to get to and while still cheap by Western standards, was more expensive than Argentina. I would put Iguazu and Calafate (or similar Patagonia town)higher on the list.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Jen,
How many days/nights did you stay in Pataonia, where did you stay, and how did you get around? We are at the beginning stages of making plans to go to Argentina for 14 days and this would be a chunk of the trip. I think we are going to skip Bariloche and your comments on this post and on another confirmed my thoughts. It might be beautiful, but isn't that unique to Argentina like other sights.
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Only to say that Bariloche is very nice, worth a visit if you are able to spend some time there, like 2 to 3 daYS minimum,there are several daily trips is close catamarans that are extremely nice. But of course, Iguazu is unique, as the Perito Moreno is also fascinating , although I have not been there yet-Good luck
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Hello, we stayed at the LindaVista Apart Hotel and it was fine but not spectacular. However we went during high season and it was all that we coudl find. On the outskirts of town (although town is so small still an easy walk) and the included breakfast was meager compared to other places we stayed. I would imagine you could find somewhere more in town with better breakfast for similar price. The room was very large, nice and new however and included a kitchette and we did make dinner a couple of our nights there. Didn't necessarily want to tell you to avoid Bariloche, we enjoyed it as we did everywhere we went on this trip. It is very beautiful and has some interesting sites. Have a wonderful trip. I am jealous as not sure when we'll get to make it back there. My 4 year old keeps talking about Argentina and asking when we get to go back.
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Graziella,
About Bariloche, since our time in Argentina is limited I feel that this area is not as unique as Iguazu and Perito Moreno and I could skip visiting it.