Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

whats the weather like in late Sept. for Barbados?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give me a general idea as to what the weather is like at the end of Sept. for Barbados? My husband and I are going on a much needed vacation and we were going to go Mexico but too afraid the weather won't cooperate with us, so we switched locations for be somewhere not as close to the hurricane belt.
Thank you.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Aug through Sept is prime "bad" weather time. Anything can happen anywhere--hurricane belt or not. I was hit by Ivan in Aruba in Sept, so it's a crap shoot--hit by Danny in Oct in Cancun...I've been in Barbados in October and had a few days of rain and the rest sunny.

It's weather...it's unpredictable.

Just go and enjoy yourself and dont worry about the weather because there's nothing you can do to change it save staying home.

Peace, Greenie
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Other than telling you it will be tropical there's no way to give you any accurate predictions. Average temperatures don't vary by more than a few degree all year long. September gets more rain than the "drier months" but most time rain comes in the form of very localized brief showers and more in the mountains than in the lowlands near the shore. It's not unusual for it to be raining in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away.

Barbados is fairly far east in the Atlantic/Caribbean so the threat from a direct hit from a hurricane is low.

As with any tropical location there is always a possibility, no matter how remote, that a tropical front could pass over the island brining with it extended periods of unsettled weather. You take this risk no matter where you go.

You can check historical weather statistics for Barbados at:

www.weatherbase.com

www.wunderground.com

The "Historical Almanac Section" on the latter site will give actual weather conditions by the month, week or day for the last 10 years. After reading what is there you'll know more about Barbados weather than most locals.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, this will be our first real vacation together without any kids in 16 years and I am so nervous about it. The weather could ruin the whole thing, I have been banging my head for the last week trying to find a perfect place and a perfect location and I am overwhelmed by it all.
Too many choices and great locations to choose from. It is down to either Barbados or Riviera Maya, we do want an all inclusive so we don't have to worry too much of where we will be eating and any additional cost. We would prefer to not spend more than $4000 for all, hotel/airfare.
I want a beautiful location with a great beach for swimming and relaxing. I guess we will get trip insurance just in case of bad weather changes our plans.

Thank you.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Oops,forgot to ask. Which one is a better place for a little r&r, Barbados or Playa Del Carmen? We haven't been to either one, so it will be all new to us.

Thanks.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Which is better for r&r depends solely on YOU. Every destination is different so there's no right or wrong answer. The thing to do is read up on what each destination has to offer then pick the one that most appeals to you and your spouse. What I or anyone else likes is irrelevant.

I've been to over 20 different islands in the Caribbean and while some destinations appealed to me more than others I never felt the trip was a waste of time. What I'm trying to say is since this is your first real trip in 16 years just getting away is going to be a thrill. You are going to be with your spouse sitting on the beach among the palm trees gazing out over torquoise blue waters. What more could you ask for???

Also, don't worry about the weather so much. You can't control it, no one can predict what it wil be and the odds of good weather are in your favor. Generally speaking the Caribbean is blessed with very nice weather year round, tempratures remain faily constant rain is often brief. Whatever you do don't visit on line weather sites a week or two before your trip. I guarantee they will only get you depressed as they always predict "rain". If you checked them every day for a year you's swear the sun never shines in the Caribbean.

Lastly, if you are considering Trip Insurance make sure the policy you purchase covers the risk you wish to insure against. Most policies won't pay if it is YOU who decides to cancel the trip because YOU don't think the weather is going to be good. If you by a policy with "hurricane coverage" there actually has to be a storm threatening the island during the time of your planned visit in order to make a claim. Read the "fine print" carefully before making any purchase (which by the way usually has to be done within a certain time period of booking your trip). You can compare policy terms and premiums for just about every policy available at: www.insuremytrip.com

One other hint:

Most Trip Interuption policies only reimburse you for non-refundable expenses. Since airline tickets (even restricted fare ones) can be resused if you pay a small reticketing fee (usually $100 PP) their total cost may not be insurable. Likewise, most hotels and resorts will allow you to "hold" your reservation using just a credit card without paying up front money. Those that do ask for cash deposits have refund/cancellation policies. Be sure you know what your real exposure is before purchasing insurance. You may find the insurance costs almost as your out of pocket expenses.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM

I agree with trip insurance. That way if there is a major storm that will hit your location, you can reschedule.

If you want all inclusive and a nice place to veg, I'd choose Riviera Maya. Barbados isn't the best place, IMHO, for AI, with all the options for restaurants available, but that's a personal choice.

Don't fret. Stop banging your head or you'll forget your tickets at home or something! =) Get your insurance, choose your location, and have fun. You deserve it after 16 years.

The worst day on the beach is better than the best day at work!

Peace, Greenie
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I recently built a weather page on Barbados that may help. The chances of a hurricane in Barbados is slightly less than Providence Rhode island and 3 times less than Miami. Of course there can be bad weather, and you may experience a day or two of rain, but like others have said, it's really localized.

Btw, August is still one of the most visited times to go to Barbados (because of Crop over carnival). You'll have a good time regardless.
Good luck.

The page is here:

http://www.barbados-travel-secrets.c...s-weather.html
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, we have finally decided to just go for it and what ever the weather brings us will still be a great time, we will be together without the kids or any other major responsibility. We have decided on the Riviera Maya, can't wait for September.....
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:55 AM

momkof4, a direct hit of a major hurricane on Barbados is a 100 year event. Much more likely on the Mayan Riviera, and it is close to peak of hurricane season.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:15 AM

I think you made the right decision. If you want AI and veg on the beach, MR is a perfect spot.

You can also take taxi's to Akumal for snorkeling and the ferry to Cozumel as well.

Everyone told me hurricane's never hit Aruba either and Ivan got us, so take it with a grain of salt and have great time!!!

Peace, Greenie
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses. Can't wait for some r&r, we need it after so many years. Will most definitely go to Tulum and perhaps Cozumel as well.