1st time in Amsterdam and looking for lodging area advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2024, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you who already helped me know, in less than a month I will be taking a bike/barge tour. Prior to the cycling trip I will be spending three nights in Amsterdam to recover from jet lag and to see some of the sights. This is going to be leisurely, and I don’t intend to run myself ragged trying to sightsee. I like to just wander in scenic and interesting neighborhoods and assume that a lot of this will be along the canals. I am old and traveling as a solo female, so I have zero interest in nightlife and the crazy Amsterdam scene. In fact, I might just bring some takeout to my room and settle in for the night. I don’t want a crazy, busy, loud neighborhood. While I don’t mind taking the tram some of the time, I really want a location that is for the most part walkable. I also don’t shop or visit the junkier tourist locales.

I have spent a lot of time reading and researching areas and hotels. Initially I was absolutely certain that I would want to have a room with a canal view. But, after seeing what is available for my dates and the price I want to pay and reading about the pluses and minuses of canal view rooms, I am not so certain any more.

This is kind of what I have narrowed it down to and would appreciate any comments you have about the area and/or hotel. Prices are all similar enough that I wouldn’t make a choice based on price alone.

DeWare Jacob a small, boutique hotel in the Museum Quarter that gets fantastic reviews. Jacob Obrechtstraat 69. No canal view.

Hotel NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter on the north/south canal on the S108 road. I can get a newly remodeled, large room with a floor to ceiling view of the canal in this standard, large hotel.

Pak Centraal Hotel on the road that is just south of the Singel Canal and a couple blocks NW of the Rijksmuseum. Another large, corporate hotel. Room with large windows but no canal view.

Citadines Canal at 46 Noorderstraat. A new apartment hotel that is a block or so south of the Prinzengracht. No canal view.

Pestana Riverview on the west bank of the Amstel, south of the Niewe Amstelburg bridge. Historic building with canal view room. I am concerned it may be too inconvenient a location.

I also thought about the Banks Mansion on the Herengracht since it has canal view rooms, but recent reviews comment how tired it is. Plus, for me, the all-inclusive drinks/snacks idea wouldn't be worth it.

If you can give me any tips, I would appreciate it greatly.
Old May 10th, 2024, 11:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved our stay on the Herengracht at Hotel l’Ambassade.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; May 10th, 2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 10th, 2024, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the location. Dates and prices don't work for me at this hotel.
Old May 10th, 2024, 03:59 PM

I can't talk about any of those hotels personally but I have stayed in Citadines half a dozen times around the world (twice in two different locations in HK, Brussels, Melbourne) and I can vouch for them entirely. They are aparthotels which means you would have the use of an apartment allowing for self-catering but with a concierge at the desk downstairs for troubleshooting, and also a washing machine in the hotel (usually basement). The quality is very even, but you may find that in some Citadines there is lino rather than carpet (which is only sensible in some locations, if you consistently have to come in with wet shoes). And if you join Ascott Star Rewards (Ascott is the parent company) and book through their website you can amass points which can be used as a discount towards your next stay. It is quite generous. They are typically very well-located. The Noorderstraat address would be OK as the Prinsengracht is nowadays prime real estate, very picturesque. That would be my choice, with the NH a close second (they also have well-located hotels).

Have you looked at any of these on Google Street View? That might help you decide about the neighbourhood.

Lavandula
Old May 10th, 2024, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Lavandula

Your Google Street Maps suggestion was a great one! I am playing with it right now.

And, the Citadines and NH that would be your first picks are due to their locations, correct?
Old May 10th, 2024, 07:56 PM

Have you looked at the Estherea? It's a great location, and my hands down favorite hotel anywhere.
Old May 10th, 2024, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Holly_uncasdewar
Have you looked at the Estherea? It's a great location, and my hands down favorite hotel anywhere.
It is a fab. place…Expensive.
Old May 11th, 2024, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by julies
Lavandula

Your Google Street Maps suggestion was a great one! I am playing with it right now.

And, the Citadines and NH that would be your first picks are due to their locations, correct?
The Prinsengracht is definitely a nice area, you couldn't go too wrong there, and the NHs I have looked at in other cities are usually in nice areas. So yes, I am basing this on the locations, but also on the knowledge of those chains. And you said you didn't want the party-party Amsterdam - I would think those would be away from all that. The Red Light district is to the east of the Damrak, you will have no trouble avoiding that. With the NH you are also not far from the Albert Cuypstraat, where there is a great street market. You can try stroopwafels there from a van (the best way)!

Lavandula

Old May 11th, 2024, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again! The Estherea isn't available for my dates and I suspect is a higher price than I want to pay.

I am still vacillating. The NH does seem more convenient for those smaller, unpretentious ethnic-type restaurants that I prefer. I am fine with going out alone to a nice lunch but am not particularly fond of dinners on my own so will often just get something light to eat later in the afternoon or get take away dinner to eat in my room with a glass of wine.
Old May 11th, 2024, 03:09 PM

I think the NH sounds fine (although I just looked at the website and I note that soon it won't be the NH but the Avani).

I thought it was just outside De Pijp (which is a nice small neighbourhood with ethnic eateries), but some people put it in De Pijp. At any rate it is a nice area. I don't think you would regret it if you picked it. I did like the rooms with floor to ceiling glass, I am sure they must have a good view.

The Prinsengracht also has some eateries, but it's mainly residential - of them I know the Pancake Bakery. Pancakes (also savory) are a traditional food in the Netherlands, not particularly a breakfast food. That restaurant has been there for at least 40 years, worth checking out. There is another pancake restaurant at the northern part of the Damrak, although a lot more touristy.

Lavandula

Old May 13th, 2024, 09:49 AM

the Jacob Obrechtstraat location
Old May 13th, 2024, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by lavandula
I think the NH sounds fine (although I just looked at the website and I note that soon it won't be the NH but the Avani).

I thought it was just outside De Pijp (which is a nice small neighbourhood with ethnic eateries), but some people put it in De Pijp. At any rate it is a nice area. I don't think you would regret it if you picked it. I did like the rooms with floor to ceiling glass, I am sure they must have a good view.

The Prinsengracht also has some eateries, but it's mainly residential - of them I know the Pancake Bakery. Pancakes (also savory) are a traditional food in the Netherlands, not particularly a breakfast food. That restaurant has been there for at least 40 years, worth checking out. There is another pancake restaurant at the northern part of the Damrak, although a lot more touristy.

Lavandula
De Pijp area is completely overrun. For my money I would do the Boutique place on Jacob Obrechtstraat. Such a genteel, local address in Amsterdam Zuid, the well-heeled area. Outside of the tourism crowds and in a comfortably appointed neighbourhood. A definite plus: having easy access to Vondelpark.
Old May 13th, 2024, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks menachem. I will take another look at the boutique place (if it is still available).

De Pijp area is also overrun with tourists? It seems like everywhere in Amsterdam is.
Old May 13th, 2024, 09:36 PM

Thanks menachem. I will take another look at the boutique place (if it is still available).

De Pijp area is also overrun with tourists? It seems like everywhere in Amsterdam is.
That's why Jacob Obrechtstraat. I really like the Amsterdam Zuid vibe. (the location is conveniently right in the middle between Vondelpark and Apollolaan/Beethovenstraat)

Forgot my secret tip for some calm amidst the crowds: Theehuis De Roos at the far end of P.C. Hooftstraat, just inside Vondelpark: https://www.roos.nl/theehuis/

Last edited by menachem; May 13th, 2024 at 09:42 PM.
Old May 14th, 2024, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I can only guess at the text of Roos so I can't read the menu very much (without doing a complete Google translate), but the food looks fab and it's the kind of place that appeals to me.
Old May 14th, 2024, 08:04 AM

I can only guess at the text of Roos so I can't read the menu very much (without doing a complete Google translate), but the food looks fab and it's the kind of place that appeals to me.
It's lovely, with a great terrace. Inside is also nice. New-agey place but of the good kind.
Old May 16th, 2024, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Well, the NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter won out for me; I am now committed because I booked a non-refundable room. The wall of windows with a panoramic view is what kept bringing me back to looking at this hotel again. I figure if I am alone and tired and want to retreat to a nice room to just relax or to bring in takeout dinner with a glass of wine, it will be a real plus to have a view. If this were a hard-charging, non-stop sightseeing trip, or if I was traveling with someone and knew that we'd be out for several hours in the evening for dinner there might have been other places that won out.

After my trip I will let you know how the hotel was.

I appreciate all of the help I got from so many of you.