Maui or the Big Island?

Search

Maui or the Big Island?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2024, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui or the Big Island?

My husband and I are thinking of taking our family to Hawaii next summer to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We will have our son, daughter, son-in-law and 1 1/2 year old grandson with us. We had family trips to Maui and Kauai years ago and are trying to decide which island to visit this time. We wonder if we should return to Maui or try the Big Island. We like snorkeling, swimming, viewing wildlife and nature, cultural activities and good food. We are not shoppers and won't be partying or going to fine dining restaurants.

I know Maui and the Big Island are supposed to both be very good for snorkeling which is why I first thought of them but I am happy to hear other suggestions. We are mindful of the budget and mid-range accommodations walking distance to a snorkeling beach would be ideal.

I am hoping for your great ideas. Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2024, 10:40 AM

Can't provide any information about a snorkeling beach but the Big Island in my opinion offers so many interesting destinations with so many different types of climate. It is big however, it is an island the size of the state of Connecticut. Maui also is big. As these are both volcanic islands, the road system is limited and so whichever one you select, you'll have lots of drive time.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:42 AM

I’ve been to Maui once and the BI six times and am going back again in November.

I like snorkeling, too, and really like the snorkeling we’ve done on the BI. But most of the best snorkeling requires driving and/or taking a tour. Kealakakua Bay is excellent, but you need to go on a tour or you can rent kayaks from a licensed tour operator and paddle across the bay and snorkel but you are not allowed to land your kayak so have to tow it around with you while you snorkel.

Near the Bay and The Place of Refuge is “Two-Step” called for the two lava rock steps you step off of into deep water (no sand, just lava). The snorkeling is good but exiting can be tricky is the water is surging.

Makaiwa Bay in the Mauna Lani area has great snorkeling from a sand beach. Easy exit and entrance.

BI is huge and the best beaches are north of the airport scattered between miles of lava rock. The landscape between beaches is not exactly what one might think of when they think Hawaii.

We stayed in Kaanapali on Maui and had great snorkeling at Black Rock there. I think it’s easier to find places to stay on the beach on Maui due to the geography of the island. The BI doesn’t have many beach front properties.

I love the diverse landscapes on the BI. It’s not as crowded as Maui, but there can be a lot less driving on Maui.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I have been thinking that perhaps Maui is a better destination for us as we will have our little grandson with us. If just my husband and I were going, we'd likely opt for the Big Island. I like the idea of a beach front location, and a place with a pool, for the ease of not having to get in the car frequently.

Your insights were very helpful.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by KTtravel
Thank you! I have been thinking that perhaps Maui is a better destination for us as we will have our little grandson with us. If just my husband and I were going, we'd likely opt for the Big Island. I like the idea of a beach front location, and a place with a pool, for the ease of not having to get in the car frequently.

Your insights were very helpful.
Totally get that. We went to Maui when our daughter was four years old and it was nice to stay on the beach. Just easier.

Now? I don’t mind driving to a different beach everyday, but it was less fun when our daughter was younger.
Old May 6th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Maui makes more sense for a family trip. But you do need to consider what happened in Lahania with the tragic fires.

I'm personally a fan of Oahu because of the amazing diversity of natural beauty and historic/cultural sights and ease of getting around.

But for anyone to decide on which island, advice is always to make a list of what you want to see and do, how far you want to drive, what kinds of places are avilable to stay... to me on a family reunion kind of trip that's probably more important for everyone to have a great time, than which island you pick. As long as the rests of the planning is well done.

aloha! suze
Old May 6th, 2024, 08:43 PM

If you decide on Maui, we stayed at Maalaea Surf in Kihei earlier this year and loved it. We had a bedroom, 2 bathroom unit with a deck that looked over the pool and the ocean. Very quiet, 2 pools, a flat beach just beyond the pool. Tons of restaurants in Kihei. I had previously stayed in Kaanapali a couple times but liked Kihei better.

We’ve been to the Big Island many times and agree with Kureiff that Maui is probably better for what you’re looking for this trip.

https://www.cbislandvacations.com/ha...UaAsxZEALw_wcB

Old May 10th, 2024, 10:30 AM

I've never found the snorkeling in Kihei to be very good but maybe I just missed the good spots? I think the Kapalua region is better for snorkeling, but finding a reasonably priced 3 bedroom condo near the beach would be difficult.

What about Kauai? The Poipu Kai area comes to mind as they have reasonably priced 3 bedroom places, as well as higher end that are actually pretty good value.

https://www.hawaiigaga.com/poipu-kai-resort.aspx

What I like about Poipu for family trips is everything is close so people can wander off by themselves when they feel like it, and do groups activities as well. Good snorkeling, surfing, restaurants, beaches, trails, golf, tennis, and the botanical garden all within a 5 minute drive.
Old May 10th, 2024, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, garyw. I will definitely check out your Kawaii suggestion.